• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medicine Buddha ~ have the instructor's book

AmerikanZen

ok for starters on pg 102 of the book is the very short Medicine Buddha practice.

CHOM DEN DAY DE SHIN SHEK PA DRA CHOM PA YANG DAK PAR DZOK PAY

To you, Bhagavan, Tathagata, Arhat, perfect and fully

SANG GYE MEN GYI LA BE DUR YA O KYI GYEL PO LA CHAK TSEL LO

awakened Menla, king of lapis lazuli light, I offer prostrations ...:bow: ...:candle:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
ok for starters on pg 102 of the book is the very short Medicine Buddha practice.

awakened Menla, king of lapis lazuli light, I offer prostrations ...:bow: ...:candle:

That sounds very familiar to what I remember from another puja we would do. I'll have to look it up, maybe tomorrow morning when I've gone through my material. Would you mind if I offered the material I have in the discussion? Or would you prefer the thread continue with your material? I'm fine either way. :)

AmerikanZen

That sounds very familiar to what I remember from another puja we would do. I'll have to look it up, maybe tomorrow morning when I've gone through my material. Would you mind if I offered the material I have in the discussion? Or would you prefer the thread continue with your material? I'm fine either way. :)

No, sure go ahead. I'm not yet familiar with Tibetan script so post whatever you want about Medicine Buddha ...

AmerikanZen

Very Short Medicine Buddha practice/recitation pg. 102

awakened Menla, king of lapis lazuli light, I offer prostrations ... :bow: ...:candle:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
No, sure go ahead. I'm not yet familiar with Tibetan script so post whatever you want about Medicine Buddha ...

OK. Thank you.

First, allow me to offer that when our groups would engage in any puja, that we make a commitment to exact detail and execution of setting up the altar, the day and time of the puja, and even our hand positions and pacing. Some pujas we've done have gone on for hours.

Next, there is the intention for the puja that is set and established. The purpose of performing it must be pure and without self-cherishing / egoistic.

Finally, there are certain rituals that are present in every prayer/mantra we do. There's taking refuge and bodhichitta, the four immeasurables, making offerings, the invocation and burning incense, prostrations and the seven-limb practice, the prayers and mantra recitations themselves, and the final dedication for the benefit of all sentient beings.

That would be REALLY long to post, so I'll offer the poetry of the puja beginning that sets the tone of the Medicine Buddha:

NAMO GURU MUNI INDRAYA

The river of merely hearing your names
Makes even Avici's hell-fires cool as a lotus pond.
Protectors in degenerate times, seven sugatas
And head of the Shakyas, to your feet I bow.

Distracted by activities of varying importance,
To benefit myself and those with faith in the life stories
Of these seven Buddhas for degenerate times,
I'll condense the ambrosia sutra ritual to its molten essence.

"The Wish Fulfilling Jewel"
Essential Buddhist Prayers
FPMT Prayer Book
Volume 2
Common Center Practices

AmerikanZen

Medicine Buddha -welcome- Om Ah Hum

What is the meaning of the universal dharma?

May all who do good while on earth be reborn in Sukhavati. :bow: ....:candle:

AmerikanZen

Medicine Buddha ... welcome -Om Ah Hum-

Shuddhasattva

OK. Thank you.

First, allow me to offer that when our groups would engage in any puja, that we make a commitment to exact detail and execution of setting up the altar, the day and time of the puja, and even our hand positions and pacing. Some pujas we've done have gone on for hours.

Next, there is the intention for the puja that is set and established. The purpose of performing it must be pure and without self-cherishing / egoistic.

Finally, there are certain rituals that are present in every prayer/mantra we do. There's taking refuge and bodhichitta, the four immeasurables, making offerings, the invocation and burning incense, prostrations and the seven-limb practice, the prayers and mantra recitations themselves, and the final dedication for the benefit of all sentient beings.

That would be REALLY long to post, so I'll offer the poetry of the puja beginning that sets the tone of the Medicine Buddha:

NAMO GURU MUNI INDRAYA

The river of merely hearing your names
Makes even Avici's hell-fires cool as a lotus pond.
Protectors in degenerate times, seven sugatas
And head of the Shakyas, to your feet I bow.

Distracted by activities of varying importance,
To benefit myself and those with faith in the life stories
Of these seven Buddhas for degenerate times,
I'll condense the ambrosia sutra ritual to its molten essence.

"The Wish Fulfilling Jewel"
Essential Buddhist Prayers
FPMT Prayer Book
Volume 2
Common Center Practices

Beautiful. Thank you.

AmerikanZen

So from what I understand thus far, there must be a 1) Chinese Buddha 2) Indian Buddha 3) Asian Buddha 4) and finally a Japanese Buddha.

AmerikanZen

Short Medicine Buddha Practice

To you, Bhagavan, Tathagata, Arhat, perfect and fully.

SANG GYE MEN GYI LA BE DUR YA O KYI GYEL PO LA CHAK TSEL

awakened Menla, king of Lapis Lazuli light, I offer prostrations.

Medicine Buddha welcome -Om Ah Hum-

Medicine Buddha welcome -Om Ah Hum-

Medicine Buddha welcome - Om Ah Hum-

May all who do good while on earth be reborn in Sukhavati. ..... :candle: