• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medical tattoos

Nanda

Polyanna
I saw a picture of a man who had "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed on his chest, and another with the symbol for diabetes tattooed on his forearm, where a diabetes bracelet might have been. One man had "Body Donor, any needed organs or parts , No Life Support," and in Kimya Dawson's song "Underground," she mentions tattooing the instructions "Don't ever put this body in a casket, burn it and put the ashes in a basket, and throw them in the Puget Sound; I don't ever want to be underground" on her backside. I've been thinking about getting "Organ Donor" tattooed somewhere on my torso. But the problem is, and this bugs me a great deal, is that these tattoos don't hold up legally. It seems to me if someone is serious enough about organ donation or DNR to get a tattoo on their body stating as much, that it should be legally binding. Getting "organ donor" tattooed on my body would be completely unambiguous - there would be no question about what my intentions were. Plus there's the added benefit of having this testiment on me at all times; if I died without my driver's licence on me, for example. I'm under the impression that organs need to be harvested quickly - this would certainly speed things up. I don't see what the bid deal is.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
As I understand it, even if one wants to be an organ donor and has it documented, the hospital still needs consent from the family to go forth with it. They don't want to be sued by the living, as the person is no longer around to say "I WANT TO BE AN ORGAN DONOR" as a verbal contract. They want all their bases covered...

Nanda

Polyanna
As I understand it, even if one wants to be an organ donor and has it documented, the hospital still needs consent from the family to go forth with it. They don't want to be sued by the living, as the person is no longer around to say "I WANT TO BE AN ORGAN DONOR" as a verbal contract. They want all their bases covered...

Then how about getting an "I want to be an organ donor; don't listen to my stupid family" tattoo?

Somkid

I want one on my chest that says "PLEASE TRY CPR ONE MORE TIME" if nothing else I'll leave them laughing.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
hrmmm... NZ is closer :p (I think) then at least you'd be able to say your body's been here lol

Oh - another tattoo idea:

"Ahh ahh ahh ahh staying alive, staying alive"