• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medical Mystery of the Split Brain

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
The medical mystery of split-brain patients

If you split the human brain in half, by severing the corpus callosum (a network of neural fibres) connecting the left and right cerebral hemispheres, does this surgical procedure split consciousness as well? By that, I mean, do you end up with two conscious agents in the one human head?

A lot of neuroscientists would tend to think so.

Back in the 1970s, this question seemed to have a definitive answer which fitted in with the idea that the human brain was essentially a "computer made out of meat", with conscious awareness being the product of complex neuronal-firing across multiple cortical regions. This can't be proven as-of-yet, of course, since we still haven't located the neural correlates of consciousness - but research by two "split-brain" scientists seemed to be indicative of this.

The neuroscientists in question, Roger Sperry and Michael Gazzaniga, found data suggesting that when you split the brain, you split conscious agency as well. For this pioneering research into split brains, Sperry won the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1981.

Bereft of the corpus callosum, the hemispheres have no means of exchanging information, other than through some nebulous subcortical process we don't know much of anything about.

Subcortical regions and their functions are typically postulated by neuroscientists to play absolutely no role in the rise of consciousness. This is due to the predominant view among researchers: which assumes that consciousness must be a higher-order cognitive function, meaning it can only therefore be dependant upon cortical regions of the brain, like the prefrontal cortex.

As such, if one assumes the validity of this paradigm, you wouldn't expect the severed hemispheres to be capable of producing a unified conscious agent - which seemed to be evidenced by Sperry's findings.

Unfortunately for this tidy framework, recent evidence published last year in the Journal Brain, contradicted the earlier conclusion and announced a shocking, perplexing one instead that appears to significantly muddy the waters, as you can see from this Science Daily article on the study:

Split brain does not lead to split consciousness

Date:
January 25, 2017

Source:

Universiteit van Amsterdam (UVA)

Summary:

A new research study contradicts the established view that so-called split-brain patients have a split consciousness. Instead, the researchers behind the study have found strong evidence showing that despite being characterized by little to no communication between the right and left brain hemispheres, split brain does not cause two independent conscious perceivers in one brain.

What do you think of these latest findings? What might they mean for the brain and how consciousness emerges from it, if the scientists are correct? Can we learn anything from it (for instance what current theories of consciousness might have to be thrown in the trash-heap, for instance)?

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
I am of the impression that this latest research is not so revolutionary as you present it. I think there was already a significant body of work regarding split-brain patients (the corpus callosum is sometimes severed to treat severe epilepsy) that indicates that they do not become two "persons" inhabiting the same body, although some information cannot be processed in the normal way following the procedure.

For instance, the patient may not be able to verbalize the name of an object he feels with one hand if his primary speech center is located in the other hemisphere. Patients viewing a series of flashing lights would report not seeing any lights flashing on the left side of their visual field, but when asked to point to the lights that flashed, they were able to point to them even though they reported not having seen them flash. But it's not like the patient would get into an argument with himself about whether or not the lights had flashed, the one person's brain was just processing the information differently in each side of their brain, and the two sides could not communicate with each other.

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
I am of the impression that this latest research is not so revolutionary as you present it. I think there was already a significant body of work regarding split-brain patients (the corpus callosum is sometimes severed to treat severe epilepsy) that indicates that they do not become two "persons" inhabiting the same body, although some information cannot be processed in the normal way following the procedure.

I'm not aware of this significant body of work, I must admit.

The standard textbooks I've had a keek at, all replicated or cited the Sperry finding of a split consciousnes (so far as I can tell, though I'm happy to be corrected).

There does seem to be a significant body of work backing up Sperry, on the other hand, until this new research.

So I do think it is controversial and possibly revolutionary in its implications, if correct.

But it's not like the patient would get into an argument with himself about whether or not the lights had flashed, the one person's brain was just processing the information differently in each side of their brain, and the two sides could not communicate with each other.

How can one retain a unified consciousness across a brain that no longer has any connection between its two hemispheres? If information and signals cannot cross, because the fibres have been severed?

Obviously, it can't happen by magic or osmosis. And if consciousness is a result of higher-order cortical regions of the brain, wouldn't this be more than a bit problematic for those theories?

One of the researchers of the new study, phrased it best when he asked the question: "how do split-brainers operate as one when these parts are not even talking to each other?"

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
I'm not aware of this significant body of work, I must admit.

The Wikipedia article seems like a good place to start; it's loaded with references to various studies.

EDIT: Oops, I meant to include the link here. ---> Split-brain - Wikipedia

It does also mention a few cases in which it seems like there WERE two individuals in one body--a guy who would pull his pants up with one hand and down with another, or another guy who attacked his wife with one hand while his other hand came to her rescue--but these are seen as pretty rare cases. Mostly the effects are seen only in the processing of sensory information from one side of the body and brain to the other. Most split-brain patients appear to be normal people to a casual observer.

Last edited:

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
The Wikipedia article seems like a good place to start; it's loaded with references to various studies.

It does also mention a few cases in which it seems like there WERE two individuals in one body--a guy who would pull his pants up with one hand and down with another, or another guy who attacked his wife with one hand while his other hand came to her rescue--but these are seen as pretty rare cases. Mostly the effects are seen only in the processing of sensory information from one side of the body and brain to the other. Most split-brain patients appear to be normal people to a casual observer.

Many thanks for this!

I'll need to have a look at the referenced studies. I'm intrigued to learn more.

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Here's a link to a study by the new set of researchers, from last year:

http://www.cell.com/trends/cognitive-sciences/fulltext/S1364-6613(17)30190-0

The Split-Brain Phenomenon Revisited: A Single Conscious Agent with Split Perception

Yair Pinto
Edward H.F de Haan
Victor A.F. Lamme

Five hallmarks characterize the split-brain syndrome: a response × visual field interaction, strong hemispheric specialization, confabulations after left-hand actions, split attention, and the inability to compare stimuli across the midline.

These hallmarks underlie the classical notion that split brain implies split consciousness. This notion suggests that massive interhemispheric communication is necessary for conscious unity.

Closer examination challenges the classical notion
. Either the hallmark also occurs in healthy adults or the hallmark does not hold up for all split-brain patients.

A re-evaluation of the split-brain data suggests a new model that might better account for the data. This model asserts that a split-brain patient is one conscious agent with unintegrated visual perception.

This new model challenges prominent theories of consciousness, since it implies that massive communication is not needed for conscious unity.

The split-brain phenomenon is caused by the surgical severing of the corpus callosum, the main route of communication between the cerebral hemispheres. The classical view of this syndrome asserts that conscious unity is abolished. The left hemisphere consciously experiences and functions independently of the right hemisphere. This view is a cornerstone of current consciousness research. In this review, we first discuss the evidence for the classical view. We then propose an alternative, the ‘conscious unity, split perception’ model. This model asserts that a split brain produces one conscious agent who experiences two parallel, unintegrated streams of information. In addition to changing our view of the split-brain phenomenon, this new model also poses a serious challenge for current dominant theories of consciousness

Note the bolded sections. The researchers state that what they call the "classical" view of split brain leading to split consciousness is a "cornerstone of current consciousness research" and they are challenging it.

????

Confused.com over here o_O

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
Here's a link to a study by the new set of researchers, from last year:

http://www.cell.com/trends/cognitive-sciences/fulltext/S1364-6613(17)30190-0

The Split-Brain Phenomenon Revisited: A Single Conscious Agent with Split Perception

Yair Pinto
Edward H.F de Haan
Victor A.F. Lamme

Five hallmarks characterize the split-brain syndrome: a response × visual field interaction, strong hemispheric specialization, confabulations after left-hand actions, split attention, and the inability to compare stimuli across the midline.

These hallmarks underlie the classical notion that split brain implies split consciousness. This notion suggests that massive interhemispheric communication is necessary for conscious unity.

Closer examination challenges the classical notion
. Either the hallmark also occurs in healthy adults or the hallmark does not hold up for all split-brain patients.

A re-evaluation of the split-brain data suggests a new model that might better account for the data. This model asserts that a split-brain patient is one conscious agent with unintegrated visual perception.

This new model challenges prominent theories of consciousness, since it implies that massive communication is not needed for conscious unity.

The split-brain phenomenon is caused by the surgical severing of the corpus callosum, the main route of communication between the cerebral hemispheres. The classical view of this syndrome asserts that conscious unity is abolished. The left hemisphere consciously experiences and functions independently of the right hemisphere. This view is a cornerstone of current consciousness research. In this review, we first discuss the evidence for the classical view. We then propose an alternative, the ‘conscious unity, split perception’ model. This model asserts that a split brain produces one conscious agent who experiences two parallel, unintegrated streams of information. In addition to changing our view of the split-brain phenomenon, this new model also poses a serious challenge for current dominant theories of consciousness

Note the bolded sections. The researchers state that what they call the "classical" view of split brain leading to split consciousness is a "cornerstone of current consciousness research" and they are challenging it.

????

Confused.com over here o_O

Well, I have a Master's (MS) degree in Psychology, with an emphasis on the sensation and perception aspects of neuropsychology, so I do at least speak the language. As close as I can tell, the confusion may be coming from what science means by a "conscious observer" and our own metaphysical ideas of personhood.

In the strictest, most physical sense--which is what science is exclusively concerned with--yeah, the split brain appears to produce two "conscious observers," since each side seems to observe and process in its own way, without consulting the other side. So a subject can point to lights that were flashing, even if he can not verbalize seeing them flashing; or not be able to name an object that he has touched with his left hand.

Science isn't suggesting that there are now two "souls" there, though--science isn't concerned with an abstact term like the soul. So while the popular connotation is one of split personalities, like Sybil or something, that's not really what they mean by a split consciousness. They just mean that the processing of information is occurring in both lobes independently.

Without reading the new study, I would guess that they are attempting to redefine that "conscious observer" in a way that demonstrates that the processing is at least coordinated, if still independent. So now their headline calls it split perception instead of a split consciousness. So it could just be a matter of semantics.

But then, maybe I'm completely off base, and if that's the case, then so am I.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sensationalism.
Nobody ever suggested a severed corpus callosum produced multiple personalities.
The perceptual and conscious anomalies have been known for a long time, so what's new here?

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Sensationalism.
Nobody ever suggested a severed corpus callosum produced multiple personalities.
The perceptual and conscious anomalies have been known for a long time, so what's new here?

Can I ask where in my OP I argued that splitting the corpus callosum produced multiple personalities?

I was talking about the unity, or lack thereof, of the experience of consciousness as arising from a single conscious agent or two conscious agents, not multiple personality disorder.

I never said anything about personality.

Last edited:

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I have a Master's (MS) degree in Psychology, with an emphasis on the sensation and perception aspects of neuropsychology, so I do at least speak the language. As close as I can tell, the confusion may be coming from what science means by a "conscious observer" and our own metaphysical ideas of personhood.

In the strictest, most physical sense--which is what science is exclusively concerned with--yeah, the split brain appears to produce two "conscious observers," since each side seems to observe and process in its own way, without consulting the other side. So a subject can point to lights that were flashing, even if he can not verbalize seeing them flashing; or not be able to name an object that he has touched with his left hand.

Science isn't suggesting that there are now two "souls" there, though--science isn't concerned with an abstact term like the soul. So while the popular connotation is one of split personalities, like Sybil or something, that's not really what they mean by a split consciousness. They just mean that the processing of information is occurring in both lobes independently.

A very informative post and thank you for bringing your background in psychology to bear on this, however I should note that I never raised anything about "souls" or split personalities in my OP.

I don't know where you or Valjean are getting this from o_O

Like your description above, I was referring to the unity or lack thereof of the conscious experience - the processing of information on both sides, and whether this meant (due to the rupture of inter-hemispheric cortical connections) that there were actually now two conscious agents acting independently, or still (somehow) one conscious agent acting in a unified way in terms of conscious experience.

All I asked in the OP was this:

If you split the human brain in half, by severing the corpus callosum (a network of neural fibres) connecting the left and right cerebral hemispheres, does this surgical procedure split consciousness as well? By that, I mean, do you end up with two conscious agents in the one human head?

How does this conflict with what you say above? No souls or multiple personality syndromes, just the brain and the mystery of consciousness.

Personally, I think this is a fascinating insight into the brain and how it works, with important implications for helping us to understand precisely how consciousness arises from neuronal activity in the brain.

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
A very informative post and thank you for bringing your background in psychology to bear on this, however I should note that I never raised anything about "souls" or split personalities in my OP.

I don't know where you or Valjean are getting this from o_O

Like your description above, I was referring to the unity or lack thereof of the conscious experience - the processing of information on both sides, and whether this meant (due to the rupture of inter-hemispheric cortical connections) that there were actually now two conscious agents acting independently, or still (somehow) one conscious agent acting in a unified way in terms of conscious experience.

All I asked in the OP was this:

How does this conflict with what you say above? No souls or multiple personality syndromes, just the brain and the mystery of consciousness.

Personally, I think this is a fascinating insight into the brain and how it works, with important implications for helping us to understand precisely how consciousness arises from neuronal activity in the brain.

No, I don't think there's any conflict, and I freely admit that my mindset of being on this site contributed to my misinterpretation that the study was trying to say more about the "personhood" or "soul" of the person being divided in two than it really was. But I still don't see it as being particularly groundbreaking; like I said, I think they are just trying to redefine "conscious observer" to account for coordinated processing in both hemispheres--but again, I could be wrong.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can I ask where in my OP I argued that splitting the corpus callosum produced multiple personalities?

I was talking about the unity, or lack thereof, of the experience of consciousness as arising from a single conscious agent or two conscious agents, not multiple personality disorder.

I never said anything about personality.
"Two conscious agents," in a single body, is a multiple, or dual, personality.

True, when you talk to these people you do not get the impression of 'multiple personalities'bn. They walk, talk and tie their shoelaces like anyone else.
The anomalies only become apparent when you selectively compare perception and responses from one or the other hemispheres.

My point is, there's nothing new here. There's no new "mystery" or multiple personality disorder, as suggested. The senses take the place of the corpus, producing an effective "unity of experience."