• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mediatation can work wonders!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Just wondering ...

What kind of meditation do you recommend?

Has meditation changed your experiences in any way?

Speaking personally, I have found meditation to be transformative. I guess I am not the first either!

I used to have an extremely VIOLENT temper. Looking back, it is an absolute miracle that I never actually killed anyone!

Today, there is no trace of anger left inside me. I am delighted and quite amazed.

The good news is that you don't need to "believe" anything in order to practice meditation & mindfulness.

So ... how do we get more people interested in meditating? It would improve the world no end!

Here's an interesting site -

It’s Not Mindfulness Without Kindness

Wishing you all the best!

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I typically do Samatha meditation, which is the primary Buddhist practice. This is called Zazen among Zen Buddhists. That's to sit and let your thoughts go. Don't try to hold them in any place, or stop them from coming.

There is another Buddhist meditation method called Vipassana, but we're discouraged from doing it without a teacher guiding the images. Because Vipassana takes us deep into our emotions and the psychological building blocks of habitual states. We explore things like our anger and bad feelings. It can get intense and run away with us.

The monk knows how to pull you back in this kind of insight meditation and pacify any intense emotions that arise.

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I typically do Samatha meditation, which is the primary Buddhist practice. This is called Zazen among Zen Buddhists. That's to sit and let your thoughts go. Don't try to hold them in any place, or stop them from coming.

There is another Buddhist meditation method called Vipasanna, but we're discouraged to do it without a teacher guiding the images. Because Vipasanna takes us deep into our emotions. We explore our anger and bad feelings. It can get intense and run away with us.

Thanks for sharing.

I have never had a "teacher" - some do believe you can't make real progress without one but I have been lucky ... mainly I do meditations from "The Meditation Bible" by Madonna Gauding. I found it by "accident" in a bookshop. Few have ever heard of it. It has quite a variety - from a number of traditions.

Oooops! Looks like I misspelled the word meditation in my thread!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I try to follow Jiddu Krishnamurti's guidelines for meditating. The simplest way to summarize them might be, be mindful of what's going on (very much including being mindful of ones thoughts), and make as little effort as possible to make any effort at all.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Just wondering ...

Speaking personally, I have found meditation to be transformative. I guess I am not the first either!

I used to have an extremely VIOLENT temper. Looking back, it is an absolute miracle that I never actually killed anyone!

Today, there is no trace of anger left inside me. I am delighted and quite amazed.

The good news is that you don't need to "believe" anything in order to practice meditation & mindfulness.

So ... how do we get more people interested in meditating? It would improve the world no end!

Zazen. It's not a wonder maker which is wonderful.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My mantra is a Name of God. My meditation is on a form which I take to be God.

Phantasman

Just wondering ...

Meditation and prayer is the same thing. One closes out physical to interact with spiritual (mind). It's why Jesus said to enter your closet and shut your door. It's why he left the disciples to pray.

I find that right after waking is my best time. I sit on my back deck with coffee/ cigarette, in complete peace out in the country. I sit many times eyes closed, asking little, thanking much then opening mind to hear for most of it. After an hour or so, I am ready for the day.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I was just wondering, how long have you been meditating?

Thanks for your interest!

It has been about 18 years. I never got interested at all in meditation until I had a spontaneous "mystical" experience which I described elsewere on these forums.

I used 2 believe meditation was making your mind go "blank" and wondered why anyone would bother!

I don't know if my "transformation" is common but it's not unique - you would have to say Buddha was transformed by his meditation all those years ago!

Any other questions - feel free to ask ...

Cheers

idea

Question Everything
Oooops! Looks like I misspelled the word meditation in my thread!

Haha - when I first glanced at this thread I though it was asking what kind of medication are you on? that medication works wonders, and we should encourage everyone to medicate themselves ;) I was going to share all the awesome herbal supplements I am now taking - but I guess I will save that list for another thread.

Phantasman

Not all meditation. Zazen is not prayer.
Maybe. Meditation, like prayer, is the use of the mind to derive clarity through concentrated focus. Whether the focus is spiritual or physical isn't the defining factor. People pray for physical things things, like body ailments, food, etc.

Twilight Hue

Maybe. Meditation, like prayer, is the use of the mind to derive clarity through concentrated focus. Whether the focus is spiritual or physical isn't the defining factor. People pray for physical things things, like body ailments, food, etc.
It depends on the technique. Meditations differ in approach. It's just to clarify things.

Phantasman

It depends on the technique. Meditations differ in approach. It's just to clarify things.
I guess. Since I believe (through gnosis):
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.- John 6:63

.........I am just not a believer of what the flesh has to offer, other than it's decay.

Just my thoughts.

Twilight Hue

I guess. Since I believe (through gnosis):
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.- John 6:63

.........I am just not a believer of what the flesh has to offer, other than it's decay.

Just my thoughts.

Some meditation is based on things like that. I don't think there's a right or wrong way in particular depending upon what your goal or lack of a goal is in doing so. A result was still occur.

Meditations like Zazen is a way to let go of such things. You acknowledge things like thoughts and tactile sensations, but let it pass hence let it run of its own accord until dissipation. Thoughts will rise up again and tactile sensations arise whereas you do the same technique of acknowledgement and letting go....

You basically just sit and notice what comes out of the "woodwork" without attachment to whatever it is that manifests. Hence "thoughtless and goalless" endeavors.

It's why when something comes up and you passionately think it's a big deal, having reached "enlightenment" or whatever, a good teacher will pretty much blow it all off and tell you to go back to sitting leaving you with an ired or confused disposition usually. How dare he/she !

I reached meditative gold dammit deserving of a medal with all residual rights! :0D

It's really what people want and do get "out" of it all. Some meditations will reach your expectations, some have none.

Phantasman

Some meditation is based on things like that. I don't think there's a right or wrong way in particular depending upon what your goal or lack of a goal is in doing so. A result was still occur.

Meditations like Zazen is a way to let go of such things. You acknowledge things like thoughts and tactile sensations, but let it pass hence let it run of its own accord until dissipation. Thoughts will rise up again and tactile sensations arise whereas you do the same technique of acknowledgement and letting go....

You basically just sit and notice what comes out of the "woodwork" without attachment to whatever it is that manifests. Hence "thoughtless and goalless" endeavors.

It's why when something comes up and you passionately think it's a big deal, having reached "enlightenment" or whatever, a good teacher will pretty much blow it all off and tell you to go back to sitting leaving you with an ired or confused disposition usually. How dare he/she !

I reached meditative gold dammit deserving of a medal with all residual rights! :0D

It's really what people want and do get "out" of it all. Some meditations will reach your expectations, some have none.
Oh I agree. It's like working a muscle to be more effective with less effort. It builds on the foundation towards a goal, though, IMO. Any time we act on anything it is to accomplish something. That's my term for "goal" in this instance.

Dantedeven

The meditation i know differs from prayer.

The simple meditation i know is to count my breath and let that count be the only thing in my head.
Whether i sit with legs crossed or walk outside, for me it matters not.
I breathe in and breathe out, count one in my head...
I breathe in and breathe out, count two in my head...
I continue this count until i reach ten then reset....
And if a thought of any kind does occur, i start this cycle over at zero.
Because no thought may interrupt me in my meditation, otherwise i am not mindful towards the object of mindfulness.
And may i be in pure distress without focus, i resort to reciting the sacred mantra: OM.
Which is not a mantra that you pronounce. No. It is the sound your ears CAN make and it very high pitched.
Extremely high pitched. And if you focus on it, it may get so loud that it silences every thought of the mind instantly.
That is my mantra called OM.

The prayer i know differs from meditation.

For the simple prayer i say is always directed towards our God,
And the simple prayer i say is always regarding the unknown.
And the simple prayer i say is always of things i desire.
But never material and never of hate, never of wickedness,
but always of faith.