• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media Fast

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Anyone want to go on a Media Fast with me?

Pick a level of media fast

Level 1: Novice

No social media (no feeds; no Snapchat, no TikTok, no Instagram, etc.).

No news of any form; radio, online, etc.
No tv or movies or YouTube or video games or podcasts etc.
Yes to music. Yes to reading hardcopy (paper) items.
Yes to basic communication-type texting & emailing.

Spend 10+ minutes sitting in silence within the fasting time period.

Level 2: Accomplished practitioner

No tv or movies or YouTube or video games or podcasts, etc.
No music unless live people are producing it.

Yes to reading hardcopy (paper) items.

Yes to email and the sorts of electronic communications that are necessary for school/work.

Extra challenge: turn off your cell phone entirely for long stretches (during waking hours).

Spend 20+ minutes sitting in silence within the fasting time period.

Level 3: Hermit

No social media at all (no feeds; no Snapchat, no TikTok, no Instagram, etc.).
No cell phone—turn it off for the entire fast.

Minimal email and the sorts of electronic communications that are necessary for school/work. Or maybe arrange things such that you can even take a break from your computer for your entire fast.

Spend 30+ minutes sitting in silence within the fasting time period.

Pick a time duration of media fast.

Fast for a minimum of 8 hours and a maximum of 48.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Pick a level of media fast

Level 1: Novice

No tv or movies or YouTube or video games or podcasts etc.
Yes to music. Yes to reading hardcopy (paper) items.

Spend 10+ minutes sitting in silence within the fasting time period.

Level 2: Accomplished practitioner

Yes to reading hardcopy (paper) items.

Yes to email and the sorts of electronic communications that are necessary for school/work.

Extra challenge: turn off your cell phone entirely for long stretches (during waking hours).

Spend 20+ minutes sitting in silence within the fasting time period.

Level 3: Hermit

No social media at all (no feeds; no Snapchat, no TikTok, no Instagram, etc.).
No cell phone—turn it off for the entire fast.

Minimal email and the sorts of electronic communications that are necessary for school/work. Or maybe arrange things such that you can even take a break from your computer for your entire fast.

Spend 30+ minutes sitting in silence within the fasting time period.

The leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had the kids do it for a week once. I heard on CNN that a month might be good.

I've done it for a week before.

Oh and it helps!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I might hit you up on this in the warmer months. Honestly, on a normal day I'm about level 2, with RF being my exception. The cold's been kicking my butt this year and causing me to be a bit down in mood at times, so kicking my main form of communication(RF) would probably be unwise. Once it warms up and its reasonable to be outside, I may take you up on it. :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I gave up Snapchat, Twitter and Instagram when i gave up work. Facebook was dropped about a year ago.

I now get my news from the pushed news feed that comes on Google on my phone. That way i can pick and choose what content i read.

I well sit with the kids of an evening and watch a bit of tv.

Very occasionally we will have a film night, usually during the colder months.

The only time i use YouTube is to find an appropriate clip for RF

I still use Messenger and WhatsApp to keep in touch with family and friends.

How am i doing?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Good Plan
I just had a ca. 3month RF Fast

I only use RF and YouTube as social media
I gradually reduce time spend on these

So, I won't join you at once
But
Soon, I might be joining you

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I've done social media for long stints (including RF) Almost 6 months

I read your above reply with 6 month first, hence I was not planning to join you. But now I see 8h till 48h

I am totally in

Note: Media Fast has a huge impact. I used to like to watch action films with violence in it (obviously), although I know several Masters who declared "TeleVision = TelePoison".
So, the past 3 month I did not watch any action movies, only Christmas (feel good) movies. Yesterday I was curious how action movie would feel now, after 3 month. I tried several, but I could not watch them anymore.
My system was cleansed of this violent energy, and like bad food, it felt like vomiting watching them. I could kind of feel the energy instantly. Just a random time frame and instantly I felt "yuck" instead of "yum"
In the past I did it also, but fell back to watching them again, and after a few movies I started liking them again. Same as any drugs, addiction kicks in very fast, to detox from it takes months.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
@Seeker of White Light
Seems like something you'd be interested in

As for me...Im not doing it. There's not much to do here in the group home beside the phone. I don't have enough books to read off the phone.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I never even started with those.
Although I monitor a few Facebook pages about scrap iron.
Nothing political or drama laden.

Are you telling me as ex chief engineer on the starship eleventhprize that you are now reduced to looking at scrap iron on Facebook???

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@Seeker of White Light
Seems like something you'd be interested in

As for me...Im not doing it. There's not much to do here in the group home beside the phone. I don't have enough books to read off the phone.
I am basically living like option 3 Hermit already :)
I do use mail ot telefon only when absolutely nessesary.
Already i am off all social media (I might check RF from time to time)

So I would join in at any day to do the Hermit style :)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I gave up Snapchat, Twitter and Instagram when i gave up work. Facebook was dropped about a year ago.

I now get my news from the pushed news feed that comes on Google on my phone. That way i can pick and choose what content i read.

I well sit with the kids of an evening and watch a bit of tv.

Very occasionally we will have a film night, usually during the colder months.

The only time i use YouTube is to find an appropriate clip for RF

I still use Messenger and WhatsApp to keep in touch with family and friends.

How am i doing?

It sounds like you an I live in a similar way regarding media!

We do get our news a bit different; the paper guy lays my newspaper on the steps in the morning. Lately, though, I find I don't read anything except the local news.

I don't do films, but I will watch shows with the kids sometimes.

I'd say we use YouTube for about the same reasons, although at times I'll resort to it to find recipes for remote regions(there seems to be more recipes for such things on YouTube which I find strange).

I dont really know messenger or What'sApp though. It sounds like fancy phone stuff, and I use an old flip phone.

Note: Media Fast has a huge impact. I used to like to watch action films with violence in it (obviously), although I know several Masters who declared "TeleVision = TelePoison".
So, the past 3 month I did not watch any action movies, only Christmas (feel good) movies. Yesterday I was curious how action movie would feel now, after 3 month. I tried several, but I could not watch them anymore.
My system was cleansed of this violent energy, and like bad food, it felt like vomiting watching them. I could kind of feel the energy instantly. Just a random time frame and instantly I felt "yuck" instead of "yum"
In the past I did it also, but fell back to watching them again, and after a few movies I started liking them again. Same as any drugs, addiction kicks in very fast, to detox from it takes months.

My husband was annoyed with me last night over movies... he was upset with me because I don't like movies. I told him they make me ill, but he didn't believe me. Of course, they don't all. Many are simply boring and I find an hour and a half a long time to stare at a screen without finding something else to do. But the violence and drama and upset that so many of them feature make me sick to my stomach.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Many are simply boring and I find an hour and a half a long time to stare at a screen without finding something else to do. But the violence and drama and upset that so many of them feature make me sick to my stomach.

I am pretty much the same with movies. But treat them as family time so boring and sometimes upsetting, violence and unnecessary offshoot plot ideas that go nowhere.