• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meat lovers thread!

Favorite meat?

• Beef

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Pork

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Chicken

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fish

• Lamb

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Venison

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And speaking of something different. I love salmon. We get plenty of good quality salmon in the Pacific Northwest. I don't see why people even buy the farm raised stuff here. Yesterday I bought some Alaskan Sockeye salmon. It was on sale, what else could I do? I usually bake it in a hot oven for ten or eleven minutes. Do not overcook salmon if you respect it. But I wanted something different. So I made this:

Creamy Garlic Butter Tuscan Salmon - Cafe Delites

The filets are pan seared first and since it was not a big sockeye I reduced the time given in the recipe. Nailed it! The fish was barely done when I took it off, I put it back in the pan when the sauce was done and served it immediately.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Turkey burger is pretty good in chili too.
My mother used to make a "Mom" spaghetti sauce with hamburger. She eventually switched to turkey burger. I have a brother whose family is almost vegetarian. They do eat meat occasionally. His wife is a very good cook, but she does not do meat. Occasionally they ask me to come over and make Mom's sauce for them. I could post the recipe, it is stuck in my head forever, but it is far from haute cuisine.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
And speaking of something different. I love salmon. We get plenty of good quality salmon in the Pacific Northwest. I don't see why people even buy the farm raised stuff here. Yesterday I bought some Alaskan Sockeye salmon. It was on sale, what else could I do? I usually bake it in a hot oven for ten or eleven minutes. Do not overcook salmon if you respect it. But I wanted something different. So I made this:

Creamy Garlic Butter Tuscan Salmon - Cafe Delites

The filets are pan seared first and since it was not a big sockeye I reduced the time given in the recipe. Nailed it! The fish was barely done when I took it off, I put it back in the pan when the sauce was done and served it immediately.

Have a look at how to make braden rost

My favourite way to eat salmon

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I love giblets, too. :D
Hmmm, I see that it is a canned product. Do you spread it on crackers?

76202_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1541533073_.jpg

ChristineM

Premium Member
I am having trouble finding links on how to make braden rost. I can find it as an ingredient. In other words one can buy salmon that has been smoked in that fashion.

There used to be lot but this is all i can find now. Just an outline of how its done.

Basically seasoned like smoked salmon but smoked for twice as long then cooked through

Edit, sorry, forget the link

Hot-smoked salmon and horseradish potatoes recipe

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
I ate turkey heart and neck once. Also pig intestines.

You may eat whatever you enjoy, it won't gross me out, i simply do not like the metallic flavour and/or chewy/rubbery consistency

Most good sausage is made with pig intestine as its casing. And I just love Toulouse sausage, mortadella and saucisson.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There used to be lot but this is all i can find now. Just an outline of how its done.

Basically seasoned like smoked salmon but smoked for twice as long then cooked through

Edit, sorry, forget the link

Hot-smoked salmon and horseradish potatoes recipe
I see, cold smoked and then cooked and presumably smoked at the same time. Interesting. I don't have a smoker, so I don't think I can accomplish making that particular dish.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I ate turkey heart and neck once. Also pig intestines.
Turkey heart is muscle, so it is not quite the same as other organs. And turkey neck is just regular meat with a lot of bones.

I use the neck to make a stock at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I can use that to stretch out the amount of gravy or add it to dressing so that it tastes more like stuffing.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Turkey heart is muscle, so it is not quite the same as other organs. And turkey neck is just regular meat with a lot of bones.

I use the neck to make a stock at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I can use that to stretch out the amount of gravy or add it to dressing so that it tastes more like stuffing.
My aunt cooked the heart had no clue how to cook it. Decided to fry it. Was that a good method do you think?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
A decent rib-eye or strip loin steak, perfectly prepared (medium rare) with any nice pan sauce is always a treat.

But really, until you've done yourself braised beef cheeks, you don't know how deep flavour can get. Flavour comes from muscle use -- and for a cud-chewing animal, guess what muscle is used the most!

Brown first, braise in a big red wine (like a Malbec) flavoured with mire poix, thyme, some orange peel. Strain the sauce later. Absolute delight.

By the way, they can be hard to find, so phone your butcher ahead of time to see if he can get some. You won't regret it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A decent rib-eye or strip loin steak, perfectly prepared (medium rare) with any nice pan sauce is always a treat.

But really, until you've done yourself braised beef cheeks, you don't know how deep flavour can get. Flavour comes from muscle use -- and for a cud-chewing animal, guess what muscle is used the most!

Brown first, braise in a big red wine (like a Malbec) flavoured with mire poix, thyme, some orange peel. Strain the sauce later. Absolute delight.

By the way, they can be hard to find, so phone your butcher ahead of time to see if he can get some. You won't regret it.
I agree. My grocery store had some one time. I have not seen it since I took the plunge and bought it. In fact, this might horrify @Christine, in almost identical packaging they had some beef liver. Luckily I caught my error before leaving the store.

I would buy it again if I saw it there.