• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meat-Eating vs. Bestiality

Curious George

Veteran Member
Why don't you try responding to something I've actually said, for a change?

We agree that you have not been able to identify a single biological trait that humans have that characterize omnivores. I also don't recall that you have substantiated any "important role in human evolution" that "eating meat has played".
That you think I was not responding to something you said indicates you missed my point. I am asking you what specifically, in the post you quoted,

Do you disagree that humans are omnivores?

Do you disagree that meat has played an important role in our evolution?

Do you disagree that humans have been eating meat for a very long time?

Do you disagree that there are healthy nutrients in animal products that are not commonly found in plants?

It occurred to me that perhaps you have not taken a position on these things, so I am asking you to do so.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here is what I requested, which you even quoted:And you have not cited a speck of evidence that raising grass-fed cows is better for the environment, better for the cows or better for the climate than raising plants for human consumption. Correct?
It doesn't seem like you're reading my posts in detail. I'd recommend going back to look at how many separate points I made, with almost none of them being contested.

I respect your intentions here, but your pattern so far has been to link to something that counters just one out of the several points I make in a given post, leaving all the other points totally unaddressed, and then I counter the thing you posted. Then you keep asking me to provide more evidence even though most of what I've already presented is still hanging out in this thread, unanswered and uncontested.

For a few quick examples as a reminder:

-Natural grasslands are typically in drier areas, places that are less ideal for growing many types of crops, and that don't support large numbers of trees as a forest does. Savory in particular focuses on the drier places of the world, even drier than common grasslands. Grasslands are tuned to the amount of rainfall in the area that they're in, unlike most types of crops that would be brought into those areas. And grass can be stored as hay for feeding cows in areas with colder winters. So it's not a better/worse comparison between plants and grass-fed cows; it's about different methods of food production for different areas. But you've ignored that point.

-Holistically managed grasslands don't require herbicides, pesticides, much or any fertilizer, tillage, and relatively little water, especially if they collect rainwater. The reason for this is that the grasslands are tuned to their environment and they're inherently diverse with numerous plants species. Nature fundamentally tries to destroy artificial rows of crops, and farmers need to use organic or synthetic pesticides and herbicides to keep bugs and weeds away from them. Grasslands welcome weeds and bugs, with usually no problem, because it's all a big balanced mix anyway. Turning natural grasslands into places for growing crops would be to take away what nature already has there and put something else there, supported by pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, and irrigation. Grassland cattle ranching, in contrast, just makes use of what's there in a state somewhat close to how it would otherwise be.

-Animals can be used for the raising of food plants in addition to providing meat/eggs/milk, reducing the need for fertilizer and fuel for the growing of those plants. I presented the example (still unaddressed by anyone) of a permaculture orchard that raises free range cow, sheep, goats, and chickens, and routinely brings them through their orchard to mow the grass, clear the weeds and vines, fertilize the soil, and eat the bug larva that would otherwise become pests. This would have otherwise required machines, external fertilizers, pesticides, etc. The orchard reduced fuel consumption by 85% compared to before they started bringing their animals in, reduced their fertilizer needs, and has excellent natural pest control. They produce more calories of food than they would if they operated as a no-animal orchard. Nature operates as a system of plants and animals, not just plants, and permacultures often make use of that fact.

In Savory's TED talk that you linked to, he makes the claim that his special method of cattle farming cures the problem of desertification, the evidence from the peer-reviewed literature contradicts him. Right?
The study from the article linked to showed that Savory's method completely avoided having to burn vegetation to clear for the next growing season. In contrast, the control lands with fewer grazers had to have portions of them routinely burned.

This was the core of what Savory has argued and the study linked to from the article that you linked to supported his claim. He has said that grasslands are a relationship of plants and animals, that animals play the role of clearing the adult vegetation, fertilizing it, and stomping vegetation into the soil. Without those animals, he argues that the vegetation doesn't biologically decompose, and instead just stays there and oxidizes, leading to prolonged reduced future growth from that area. Thus, people often resort to burning it, which is not ideal for several reasons. And the study showed that the control lands- the ones Savory was not managing and that had fewer cows- did indeed have to resort to burning vegetation. Savory's lands required no burning, because he properly managed his livestock to eat all the mature grass. Burning vegetation still releases methane, risks promoting desertification, and provides no food. His solution avoided that problem, because he recreated a combined animal/plant relationship that mimicked nature well, and provided plenty of food.

Savory's method did noticeably better at what? The whole purpose of his cattle farming scheme was to cure the problem of desertification. No study found any evidence of increased vegetation. And certainly no study has shown that his scheme of raising cattle if better for the environment, for the animals or for the climate than raising plants for human consumption. Right?
Savory's method did better at providing food from the dry land compared to the controls. It also eliminated the need for vegetation burning, which releases methane while providing no nutrients to humans.

And you're the one that linked to that article with that study; not me. It just didn't show what you were thinking, I guess.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I checked the USDA and couldn't find any such proof. Admittedly, it's loaded with information, so I'm not discounting the possibility that I may have missed something.

From a moral standpoint, I've explained what I do and do not consider acceptable. Though, I do not consider it immoral to consume animals (but do consider it immoral to fornicate with animals), I do not consider it immoral to inhumanely treat livestock.

Edit: I do consider it immoral to inhumanely treat ;livestock.

Nous

Premium Member
That you think I was not responding to something you said indicates you missed my point. I am asking you what specifically, in the post you quoted,

I'll just repeat, and you let us know when, or if, you understand: We agree that, despite your repeated claims, you have been unable to specify a single biological adaptation that humans have that characterizes omnivores.

Again, I'll just repeat, and you let us know how long it might take for it to sink in: We agree that, despite your repeated claims, you haven't specified any "important role" that eating animals has played in human evolution.

I haven't.

Do you disagree that there are healthy nutrients in animal products that are not commonly found in plants?
As far as I know, all "healthy nutrients" that humans need can be easily obtained without tormenting and slaughtering intelligent, sensitive animals. My doctor says I am in excellent health.

Nous

Premium Member
It doesn't seem like you're reading my posts in detail. I'd recommend going back to look at how many separate points I made, with almost none of them being contested.

I respect your intentions here, but your pattern so far has been to link to something that counters just one out of the several points I make in a given post, leaving all the other points totally unaddressed, and then I counter the thing you posted. Then you keep asking me to provide more evidence even though most of what I've already presented is still hanging out in this thread, unanswered and uncontested.

For a few quick examples as a reminder:

-Natural grasslands are typically in drier areas, places that are less ideal for growing many types of crops, and that don't support large numbers of trees as a forest does. Savory in particular focuses on the drier places of the world, even drier than common grasslands. Grasslands are tuned to the amount of rainfall in the area that they're in, unlike most types of crops that would be brought into those areas. And grass can be stored as hay for feeding cows in areas with colder winters. So it's not a better/worse comparison between plants and grass-fed cows; it's about different methods of food production for different areas. But you've ignored that point.

-Holistically managed grasslands don't require herbicides, pesticides, much or any fertilizer, tillage, and relatively little water, especially if they collect rainwater. The reason for this is that the grasslands are tuned to their environment and they're inherently diverse with numerous plants species. Nature fundamentally tries to destroy artificial rows of crops, and farmers need to use organic or synthetic pesticides and herbicides to keep bugs and weeds away from them. Grasslands welcome weeds and bugs, with usually no problem, because it's all a big balanced mix anyway. Turning natural grasslands into places for growing crops would be to take away what nature already has there and put something else there, supported by pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, and irrigation. Grassland cattle ranching, in contrast, just makes use of what's there in a state somewhat close to how it would otherwise be.

-Animals can be used for the raising of food plants in addition to providing meat/eggs/milk, reducing the need for fertilizer and fuel for the growing of those plants. I presented the example (still unaddressed by anyone) of a permaculture orchard that raises free range cow, sheep, goats, and chickens, and routinely brings them through their orchard to mow the grass, clear the weeds and vines, fertilize the soil, and eat the bug larva that would otherwise become pests. This would have otherwise required machines, external fertilizers, pesticides, etc. The orchard reduced fuel consumption by 85% compared to before they started bringing their animals in, reduced their fertilizer needs, and has excellent natural pest control. They produce more calories of food than they would if they operated as a no-animal orchard. Nature operates as a system of plants and animals, not just plants, and permacultures often make use of that fact.
If you were able to cite any evidence showing that raising, tormenting and slaughtering animals is better for the environment, better for the animals and better for the climate than raising plant foods for human consumption, it would certainly grab my attention. Short of that, your unsubstantiated assertions and suggestions that it's better for some reason to raise, toment and slaughter animals will never impress me favorably.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I'll just repeat, and you let us know when, or if, you understand: We agree that, despite your repeated claims, you have been unable to specify a single biological adaptation that humans have that characterizes omnivores.

Again, I'll just repeat, and you let us know how long it might take for it to sink in: We agree that, despite your repeated claims, you haven't specified any "important role" that eating animals has played in human evolution.

I haven't.

As far as I know, all "healthy nutrients" that humans need can be easily obtained without tormenting and slaughtering intelligent, sensitive animals. My doctor says I am in excellent health.
great so you are making no claims? Good.

If you decide you actually disagree with what I said, feel free to quote me.

Chakra

Premium Member
I think I will answer for both Nous and me, since this discussion has been going on for a while with no merit. Nous can clarify if I misrepresent his views.

No, we are behaviorally omnivores.

Not as important as a starch+carbs diet, which were the main components of our diet. Cooking, in fact, was the most important revolution in food that helped in our evolution. There is no special thing in meat, as far as I know, that aided us in our evolution, besides the calories.

Nope.
Do you agree that animal products are high in several unwanted things like heme iron, bad cholesterol, etc, which plant-based food sources do not contain? The healthiest foods for the human body are the ones that are high in nutrients, but calorie restrictive. Those would be vegetables. Just look at the Okinawans and Adventists.

Now, is that a satisfactory answer? Can we move onto a discussion about the *current* issues that we face, not what our ancestors faced?

Curious George

Veteran Member
I think I will answer for both Nous and me, since this discussion has been going on for a while with no merit. Nous can clarify if I misrepresent his views.

Not as important as a starch+carbs diet, which were the main components of our diet. Cooking, in fact, was the most important revolution in food that helped in our evolution. There is no special thing in meat, as far as I know, that aided us in our evolution, besides the calories.

Nope.

Do you agree that animal products are high in several unwanted things like heme iron, bad cholesterol, etc, which plant-based food sources do not contain? The healthiest foods for the human body are the ones that are high in nutrients, but calorie restrictive. Those would be vegetables. Just look at the Okinawans and Adventists.

Now, is that a satisfactory answer? Can we move onto a discussion about the *current* issues that we face, not what our ancestors faced?

Yes, I didn't like the answering my last question with a question and not also including an answer to the last question. But, the idea that meat has healthy components is a hard pill to swallow if one is trying to suggest it is absolutely unhealthy. Nevertheless, middle age adults that are not pregnant have very little use for eating even moderate amounts of meat. This however doesn't mean that meat isn't important to humans as a whole.

I am not even sure where we are with this current discussion. I would ask what duty do we owe animals. And on what basis do you assume such a duty?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you were able to cite any evidence showing that raising, tormenting and slaughtering animals is better for the environment, better for the animals and better for the climate than raising plant foods for human consumption, it would certainly grab my attention. Short of that, your unsubstantiated assertions and suggestions that it's better for some reason to raise, toment and slaughter animals will never impress me favorably.
We can continue our discussion if you choose to respond to the detailed points I made, then. Because so far, they're almost all totally uncontested.

Nous

Premium Member

Nope.

Excellent responses. Couldn't have said anything better. Chakra, you can answer for me anytime. (Really I should pay you for doing so.)

Chakra

Premium Member
Excellent responses. Couldn't have said anything better. Chakra, you can answer for me anytime. (Really I should pay you for doing so.)
Looks like we've been reading the same things for us to agree on practically every point here!

Chakra

Premium Member
Yes, I didn't like the answering my last question with a question and not also including an answer to the last question.
I only did that because I thought you were implying that meat is better than plant-based food, so I just wanted to point out that while meat may have more calories, it is not the best food source. Sorry.

But, the idea that meat has healthy components is a hard pill to swallow if one is trying to suggest it is absolutely unhealthy. Nevertheless, middle age adults that are not pregnant have very little use for eating even moderate amounts of meat. This however doesn't mean that meat isn't important to humans as a whole.
If I'm not mistaken, you only need 50 g of animal protein to be at risk, according to the WHO report. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am not saying that meat is poison (at least not literally), but the main idea is that it is not our best source of food. Added with the unnecessary animal suffering, excess resource consumption (as Californians, this is a big deal), and overall degradation of the environment, seems to me that meat-eating should go.

I am not even sure where we are with this current discussion. I would ask what duty do we owe animals. And on what basis do you assume such a duty?
Well, I would like to thank you for being so open-minded in this discussion (and I certainly do not classify myself open-minded! :p).

To answer your question, I have a question for you (sorry!): Do you think humans in developed countries should send donations and aid to the humans in developing countries? If no...why?

If yes, on what objective basis? Is it just because they are humans who will literally not impact your life whatsoever?

According to me, this sort of thinking is problematic. Using the same line of logic (in which the wants, desires, and rights on one's own kind supersede the wants, desires, and rights of another), one could justify any form of discrimination, could they not? Animals have independent lives, and can experience emotions just like us. There is also the added argument that in the west , there are only a few people who require meat to survive. At this point, it's not survival, but gluttony.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I only did that because I thought you were implying that meat is better than plant-based food, so I just wanted to point out that while meat may have more calories, it is not the best food source. Sorry.

If I'm not mistaken, you only need 50 g of animal protein to be at risk, according to the WHO report. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am not saying that meat is poison (at least not literally), but the main idea is that it is not our best source of food. Added with the unnecessary animal suffering, excess resource consumption (as Californians, this is a big deal), and overall degradation of the environment, seems to me that meat-eating should go.

Well, I would like to thank you for being so open-minded in this discussion (and I certainly do not classify myself open-minded! :p).

To answer your question, I have a question for you (sorry!): Do you think humans in developed countries should send donations and aid to the humans in developing countries? If no...why?

If yes, on what objective basis? Is it just because they are humans who will literally not impact your life whatsoever?

According to me, this sort of thinking is problematic. Using the same line of logic (in which the wants, desires, and rights on one's own kind supersede the wants, desires, and rights of another), one could justify any form of discrimination, could they not? Animals have independent lives, and can experience emotions just like us. There is also the added argument that in the west , there are only a few people who require meat to survive. At this point, it's not survival, but gluttony.
That I have read, all reports focus on amount of meat in middle age adults. Not people under middle age. This is important because our dietary needs change over time. The idea that we should chalk meat eating up as "bad" is largely to what I take exception.

The question of aid is an ethical one that I think can be honestly fielded with either a yes or a no, and for several different reasons.

So, for prong one, I would say yes. It is wise to send aide based on the progression of the human species. I.e. it is humanities best interest to sort out problems such as these because the consequences of them are harmful to our society, even here.

For prong two, I would suggest yes. Because it represents a fairness that we would accept given blindness to our situation. That is, if we could get together before knowing our lot in life, and create rules by which to live, we would likely decide it is fair to provide resources to those without resources, because if we drew such a lot, that is what we would have wanted for ourselves.

Two moral reasons should be enough for you to work with...for now. If you want more I can provide those later.

MichelleB

I'm a meat eater myself. Just a preemptive clarification in case someone thinks about accusing me of repeating vegetarian propaganda (whatever that is).

So, I have been thinking about why I and many others who have no religion oppose bestiality, and one of the most common reasons given is that one can't have the consent of animals to acts of bestiality. However, we also don't have the consent of animals to use them for labor or in industrial farming. We don't have their consent to slaughter them either.

With the above in mind, what makes meat-eating acceptable and bestiality unacceptable?

First, Jehovah knows that we're imperfect, so he knows we're going to kill his creations for food and I'm pretty sure he's okay with that...for now, BUT beastility...he's definitely not okay with. Beastility is SO bad in Jehovah's eyes that the Bible stated in multiple scriptures that people should be put to death, because of their actions, and these scriptures are: Exodus 2:19, Leviticus 18:23; 20:15-16 and Deuteronomy 27:21.

Nous

Premium Member
That I have read, all reports focus on amount of meat in middle age adults. Not people under middle age. This is important because our dietary needs change over time.
You don't know of any evidence by which to conclude that "people under middle age" have any "dietary need" to eat animals, do you? If so, provide that link.

Nous

Premium Member
First, Jehovah knows that we're imperfect, so he knows we're going to kill his creations for food and I'm pretty sure he's okay with that.
It's really quite stunning how people try to rationalize their immoral behavior.

Curious George

Veteran Member
You don't know of any evidence by which to conclude that "people under middle age" have any "dietary need" to eat animals, do you? If so, provide that link.
Um, have you found something to actually disagree about? If so, make your statements.

Nous

Premium Member
Um, have you found something to actually disagree about? If so, make your statements.
I asked you a question:

You don't know of any evidence by which to conclude that "people under middle age" have any "dietary need" to eat animals, do you? If so, provide that link.​

Is that too far above your comprehension level? Do I need to spell out the words for you?

Chakra

Premium Member
Seems that there is some sort of misunderstanding here. Are you saying that middle-aged people need meat or they don't? It's very hard to tell from your words since you only talk about "studies about middle-aged people"...are these studies pro-meat or pro-plant based? Perhaps you are saying that adolescents and young children need meat?

Curious George

Veteran Member
I asked you a question:

You don't know of any evidence by which to conclude that "people under middle age" have any "dietary need" to eat animals, do you? If so, provide that link.​

Is that too far above your comprehension level? Do I need to spell out the words for you?
Ahh, use just a wittle guy.

Don't get angry.