• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meat Eaters = Selfish (Steve & Bill)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
You used a voting track ( first white guys, then... )as a reference.

No, was more after the slavery part of it.

"Freedom"? What is that? :p

The ability to have equality. Equality doesn't necessarily mean the exact same, it just means the equal right of happiness and enjoyment of life.

Another legal term perhaps? They already have freedom.

Erm, if you consider being force-birthed, kept in cages all day, separated from friends and family, force fed, and being threatened all to die in the end to get eaten by a greedy and more superior animal freedom, then the blacks were always free in America, and the Jews were free during the Holocaust.

(Note: the wholesale slaughter of non-human animals usually doesn't involve guns, ammo ain't cheap no more. For some reason machete's and blades are considered more efficient. :shrug: )

Of course, just adds more weight to my side being that there is more suffering involved with machete's and blades.

Viker

Häxan
Please tell me the difference then, and please prove how people are not animals.

It was a comeback that you couldn't reply to? Eh? Of course if I really met you you wouldn't let me eat you after making you suffer a long time on a hanger, being whipped dozens of times...

If you met me you would likely presume I am going to eat you. lol

Don't worry. I don't cannibalize right now because hunting season is on. You are safe ( for now ) and humans supposedly taste like tainted tuna.

Viker

Häxan
No, was more after the slavery part of it.

The ability to have equality. Equality doesn't necessarily mean the exact same, it just means the equal right of happiness and enjoyment of life.

Erm, if you consider being force-birthed, kept in cages all day, separated from friends and family, force fed, and being threatened all to die in the end to get eaten by a greedy and more superior animal freedom, then the blacks were always free in America, and the Jews were free during the Holocaust.

Of course, just adds more weight to my side being that there is more suffering involved with machete's and blades.

Honestly, do the non-humans know they are not free? I don't actually know this answer so I am going to assume yours could be right or wrong. haha

The Sum of Awe

Honestly, do the non-humans know they are not free? I don't actually know this answer so I am going to assume yours could be right or wrong. haha

I'm sure they're conscious enough to know that they are in pain, but they never felt freedom so maybe not aware that they are free.

Last edited:

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Please tell me the difference then, and please prove how people are not animals.

It was a comeback that you couldn't reply to? Eh? Of course if I really met you you wouldn't let me eat you after making you suffer a long time on a hanger, being whipped dozens of times...

Sapience. And for the purposes of this discussion animals refers to non-humans because I'll be arsed if I'm going to type "non-human animals" just to avoid semantics games.

And you're far to young to hang me from hooks and whip me. I use professionals for that.

Are you seriously trying to argue that meat eaters should be ok with being killed?

Me Myself

Back to my username
So animals are people, is that your claim?

Odd moral code you have, but I'm unimpressed with your fighting skills.

I'm the one claiming a difference between people and animals if you forgot; your attempt at a witty comeback is an airball.

animals are not people, but people are certainly animals.

The thing is, both animals and people suffer, so making them suffer is prone to moral consideration. I don´t see why specie must come into question for it.

They can suffer.

Eating meat promotes their suffering for gastronomical pleasure. (at least in bast majority of meat-eaters)

The Sum of Awe

Sapience.

I'm sure they have sapience of some things, and they could possibly have sapience of freedom if they've felt it.

In the same sense, man isn't all that sapient in some similar spots either. They do not know how lucky they are. "Oh, I lost about 80 dollars in all" *yes this is me as an example* but what I didn't realize is that there are people starving off in Africa.

I can never truly remember or know what pain really is until I feel it, neither can any human.

In the same sense, animals cannot know what freedom really is until they feel it.

And for the purposes of this discussion animals refers to non-humans because I'll be arsed if I'm going to type "non-human animals" just to avoid semantics games.

Fair enough, can't say I haven't a few times also.

And you're far to young to hang me from hooks and whip me. I use professionals for that.

Age has nothing to do with arguments.

Are you seriously trying to argue that meat eaters should be ok with being killed?

Should a murderer be okay with being murdered?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Drolefille, I hope you saw my post responses at end of pg 24 and start of pg 25.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Drolefille, I hope you saw my post responses at end of pg 24 and start of pg 25.
I did, I was just traveling with all my Master's program stuff and was stuck on mobile so I had to wait to respond.
I'm sure they have sapience of some things, and they could possibly have sapience of freedom if they've felt it.
Provide evidence then. I don't think you know what sapience means.
Animals do not have the same concept of freedom that you do. Putting a dog in a crate isn't restricting its freedom of self in the same way putting a man in a cage is.
In the same sense, man isn't all that sapient in some similar spots either. They do not know how lucky they are. "Oh, I lost about 80 dollars in all" *yes this is me as an example* but what I didn't realize is that there are people starving off in Africa.
Sapience isn't wisdom in the moment, and it doesn't mean you always make good choices. You're sapient because you can use your judgement, not because you necessarily do.
I can never truly remember or know what pain really is until I feel it, neither can any human.

In the same sense, animals cannot know what freedom really is until they feel it.
That's a nice story, but there's no evidence that my indoor cat really wants to run outside and never come back. And cats are the least domesticated of our pets. She benefits from the constant source of food and water here as well as the companionship - domestic cats stay in a sort of kitten phase because we don't kick them out at maturity like mother cats do - but she has no concept of freedom or captivity, and no, no love.

Make a claim of sapience, provide evidence.

Fair enough, can't say I haven't a few times also.
Good, so animals = non-human animals for the course of this discussion.
Age has nothing to do with arguments.
No, age has to do with you being a minor and simultaneously not getting the joke.
It wasn't an argument, you were lashing out with an illogical statement.

Should a murderer be okay with being murdered?
No, and I wouldn't expect one to be. If nothing else, self interest gets in the way.
So you are equating meat eating with murder now yes? So you consider animals people? Please be specific on these.
animals are not people, but people are certainly animals.
Not for the purposes of this argument. Animals = non-human for the purpose of this discussion.

The thing is, both animals and people suffer, so making them suffer is prone to moral consideration. I don´t see why specie must come into question for it.
And the corn you eat is farmed by machines that kill snakes, mice, rabbits, and pretty much anything in the way. I don't see killing an animal for food as equivalent of making them suffer unnecessarily - now my ideal and reality aren't there yet, but it is possible to find ethically raised meat and other animal products.

They can suffer.

Eating meat promotes their suffering for gastronomical pleasure. (at least in bast majority of meat-eaters)
Without eating meat there is non-existence for most of them, is that better or worse?
And in the wild they exist for other animals' "gastronomical pleasure" is that better or worse?
I find it ethically neutral.
I see love from cows. You might see instinct, but i've seen cows behave very affectionately toward one another (calling for each other, cuddling and grooming etc.).
Are you just anthropomorphizing them though? How do you know it's love and not instinct. A cow calls for calf because that's what instinct says, if the calf is dead she keeps calling because he hasn't shown up yet. That seems to us like mourning and love but it's really instinct. Maybe you could argue our love is really instinct and I personally think it is derived from instinct, but that our intelligence, our sapience, makes us different.
Why is 'humanity' a criteria?
In fact, why is sapience a criteria? When you are hurting/haring something, shouldn't the criteria be it's ability to feel and suffer? You don't need sapience or high intelligence in order to suffer greatly.

If someone was torturing a cat, would it make you feel bad for the cat?
I would. And I also feel bad that it suffers when we breed and then kill it. Why should you feel bad for a cat being physically harmed but not for the cow being slaughtered?
Because causing pain purely for pleasure is different than killing something for utility. Even if you argue that we don't have to have THAT specific utility, a slaughterhouse worker isn't gleefully watching an animal be in pain, they're doing their job. People who eat a steak aren't relishing the pain that the animal experienced, they're feeding themselves.
Causing pain for pleasure in torturing animals is a psychological problem, an inability to feel empathy that typically carries over to humans. Most fully well adjusted humans with empathy distinguish between the humans and animals. Maybe this is, again, only self interest. Maybe it's an evolutionary relic of our own sort of tribalism, but mostly I think it's because there are no other intelligent species on this planet.
If we had neanderthals' descendants living here with us, we'd probably include them as non-food sapient people rather than food-animals. (I can certainly write a SF story where its otherwise, but logistically it's too had to keep sapient beings for food even if you somehow don't have ethical issues with it. We'd have fought wars and if we didn't eliminate each other probably have some semblance of equality by now. )

The reason we don't eat other humans is entirely cultural. Which is why there have been many instances throughout history of humans eating humans and humans torturing humans. The reasons that you think about eating another human as being unethical or taboo or squeamish is the same for someone brought up in a vegetarian environment/community/culture in regards toward meat-eating.
Well you can't logistically raise people for food. It doesn't make sense, we're too expensive to raise and we breed to slowly. I wouldn't complain about a culture that ate its deceased outside of the health reasons - which are not related to the taboo per se, that taboo is probably more like the incest taboo, there's some evolutionary reasoning behind it and most people never consider close family members as potential mates due to a psychological/hormonal process that happens during youth that I don't know a lot about but could look up if you want to know more.

I grok that the taboo exists for vegetarians with regards to eating meat, but once you recognize it as a cultural taboo rather than a universal ethical principle it's no longer logical to attempt to enforce it on others as an ethical principle. It's cool that it's "your" culture and taboo, but don't expect me to live by it. Similarly I'd never expect someone else to eat meat. But not torturing people is something I can say - despite certain governments thinking differently - should be a universal ethical principle. A taboo against eating with a certain hand, or certain types of animals, or from getting tattoos are fine, but they're taboos.

(I'm not much of a sociologist, more psychology so I hope I make sense here. I'm less precise on these issues.)

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Good points, ma fille. Here's how I see it: Yes, sapience, or any other arbitrary feature, is a principle, but it's not one of the generally attributed characteristics that generate a feeling of moral obligation. Eg: we usually feel moral obligation toward other humans even when they aren't particularly sapient, such as babies, the senile or the mentally impaired. It's also true that some cultures have no problem exploiting or eating all sorts of other, out-group humans, which is why I speak of the generally accepted moral indicators like capacity for suffering or anticipation of futurity.
While true, we still recognize infants as little proto-sapient things - and our biology has a lot to do with how we bond with them (Big eyes, large head, smells right, etc.) Without our own sapience we'd probably have more parents abandoning younglings like you see in the animal world. Animals have intelligence and might even be argued to be intelligent at the level of an X year old. But they're not developing sapience. I think this is why I personally would hesitate to eat dolphin or primate, because I think there's the possibility of some level of sapience there and since they're borderline AND not a necessary part of my diet, I have the luxury of declining. Of course, I eat cephalopod and octopuses are smart as hell and I jokingly justify that as self-defense against our 8 armed invaders so I may simply be reacting to the American taboo against eating cetaceans/primates.

We've already bonded with the senile or disabled typically speaking, and sometimes we're probably just being sentimental about how much of a 'person' is still present. I see those as more of outliers than not though. Although it's perfectly possible to argue that you see the elderly treated as disposable in American culture because they're no longer 'useful' or what have you. Again many SF stories have addressed that failing of ours, just taken to extremes.

So on the whole, whether because of our sapience, evolutionary self-interest, etc. we consider humans off the table. Similarly many westerners consider primates off the table - where as people who live where the primates do are more ok with eating them over starving. Few Americans would eat a tiger, many Chinese would pay money for it. Dog is not food here and it is elsewhere.

Ultimately the one cross-cultural taboo is eating people outside of a few outliers. I'm not making an argument based on numbers, but that to me, supports the logical and ethical line that I draw.

As for safety concerns, I see these as purely expedient, and not necessarily moral or ethical issues, (though one-time expediencies do evolve their way into religious injunctions with disturbing frequency).
Correct, but it's the one real exception to the taboo.

How do you define morality?
What's right and wrong. I tend to talk more about ethics than morality because I do think about both what is right or wrong in a specific scenario/culture/time period as well as what I find to be universally right or wrong and sometimes will contrast the terms to make a difference. But I'm not a philosophy major so I don't get too terribly hung up on it.
For example - Many people throughout history have not had a moral problem with slavery but it's an unethical practice. I could switch the use of the two and mean pretty much the same thing, although moral/immoral are closer to right/wrong and ethical/unethical are sometimes more like fair/unfair.

Sometimes. It's complicated and I tend to double think myself on it. :)

And life sucks. No need to make it worse. No need to breed hoards of animals in order to torture and slaughter them.
I'm against torture but ok with (ethical) slaughter and treatment. I'm also in favor of not being wasteful of an animal's life and using as much of an animal as possible.

How is this logical justification? If a toddler has no ethical concerns with stealing my car keys and wallet from my handbag, am I then justified in stealing its toys?
If a school kid has no ethical concerns with bullying/teasing other children, am I then justified in bullying the kid?
Nope. I don't think so. Of course I have the power to steal and bully from the immature and less intelligent, but my sense of ethics stops me from causing the powerless harm. Same reason I wouldn't take advantage of a powerless and less intelligent animal by killing it.
Animals are incapable of having ethics at all. You're thinking very micro with the bully thing. That bully has ethics, he just needs help with them. My cat finds nothing ethically wrong with scratching my leg because obviously walking down the hall I am something to be pounced. She is not concerned that she hurt me and only runs away if I cry out because it hurt. There's no capacity for ethics in her. Now, that said, I'm kind of using that as a slightly pithy shortcut argument.
Toddlers know right/wrong although they're still learning, but they are at the least capable of empathy and ethics. Even sociopaths have ethical systems, although because they're not always ones that prevent people from being harmed, sometimes they have to be removed from society to protect others.

My sense of ethics stops me from torturing an animal but is ok with eating one. So then what?

Also, humans in a natural habitat would have plenty to fear from. Take your average person into the jungle and see how long they will survive.
Of course we would have plenty to fear. I wouldn't blame a lion/alligator/hyena/dingo for eating me, should I end up to have some sort of post-life existence. They find nothing wrong with it because they're incapable of making that sort of distinction (and if they were their ethics might be fine with eating the creatures that kill them.) As a species we survived because of our brains' evolution. That's why we use tools and developed domesticated animals in the first place. Without domestication we probably wouldn't have gotten this far. People don't plow fields as well as animals, dogs guard camps from outsiders, goats provide nutrition for babies whose mothers can't, etc. We took the evolutionary endrun around needing the biggest teeth or claws and made our own. Quite clever of us.

The Sum of Awe

Provide evidence then.

Anything that is conscious has feelings, and if it has feelings then it has sapience. Maybe it can't explain what is going on in human languages, but I'm sure they know what's going down - people are hurting them.

Animals do not have the same concept of freedom that you do. Putting a dog in a crate isn't restricting its freedom of self in the same way putting a man in a cage is.

I know they don't, but putting any living being in a cage is restricting freedom.

Sapience isn't wisdom in the moment, and it doesn't mean you always make good choices. You're sapient because you can use your judgement, not because you necessarily do.

We can't clearly judge something if we haven't experienced it. Jews can say "The holocaust was bad" but can us regular people that didn't experience the holocaust? We can but we can't even imagine how bad it is because we've never experienced. Can I say "this cake is good" before trying it?

That's a nice story, but there's no evidence that my indoor cat really wants to run outside and never come back.

This isn't about your cat, your cat is freer than those farm animals.

And cats are the least domesticated of our pets. She benefits from the constant source of food and water here as well as the companionship - domestic cats stay in a sort of kitten phase because we don't kick them out at maturity like mother cats do - but she has no concept of freedom or captivity, and no, no love.

I'm not against keeping pets, some animals need a watcher over them to survive, they cannot do it all alone.

Animals do know if you love them or not, your cat may have a concept of freedom if you locked her in a cage for a year, once you let her out she will be excited and do a bunch of things.

Make a claim of sapience, provide evidence.

Animals think they've done something wrong when you've hit them, they know pain is bad. That, in itself, is sapience.

Good, so animals = non-human animals for the course of this discussion.
No, age has to do with you being a minor and simultaneously not getting the joke.
It wasn't an argument, you were lashing out with an illogical statement.

How was it an illogical statement? You just know what freedom is because you've been experiencing it. I bet if I locked you in a cage as soon as you were born you wouldn't know what it's like to be free either, and another you would be supporting your death, arguing with me that it's fine to kill you for food.

I'm sure you wouldn't like it even though you wouldn't know what freedom is yet.

No, and I wouldn't expect one to be. If nothing else, self interest gets in the way.
So you are equating meat eating with murder now yes? So you consider animals people? Please be specific on these.

Pretty much, even though the definition of murder says "unlawful killing of another human being", I honestly don't care to tell the difference between murderer and a killer. Which is: A person, animal, or thing that kills.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Anything that is conscious has feelings, and if it has feelings then it has sapience. Maybe it can't explain what is going on in human languages, but I'm sure they know what's going down - people are hurting them.
Pain isn't an emotion.
I know they don't, but putting any living being in a cage is restricting freedom.
Physical freedom yes. I thought you were talking about the idea of freedom. So you want to let all animals loose?

We can't clearly judge something if we haven't experienced it. Jews can say "The holocaust was bad" but can us regular people that didn't experience the holocaust? We can but we can't even imagine how bad it is because we've never experienced. Can I say "this cake is good" before trying it?
So you're arguing that nothing's wrong unless you've experienced it and have decided it to be so? Why even have ethics then. You haven't been killed and eaten and therefore you can't judge it to be wrong.

This isn't about your cat, your cat is freer than those farm animals.
She's not free, I keep her indoors her entire life.

I'm not against keeping pets, some animals need a watcher over them to survive, they cannot do it all alone.
Because we domesticated them that way. Cows are domesticated and would not survive well in the wild. Modern cattle are not the equivalent of wild cattle or bison.

Animals do know if you love them or not, your cat may have a concept of freedom if you locked her in a cage for a year, once you let her out she will be excited and do a bunch of things.
Back up your assertion about love.

Animals think they've done something wrong when you've hit them, they know pain is bad. That, in itself, is sapience.
No it isn't.

How was it an illogical statement? You just know what freedom is because you've been experiencing it. I bet if I locked you in a cage as soon as you were born you wouldn't know what it's like to be free either, and another you would be supporting your death, arguing with me that it's fine to kill you for food.
Because enlightened self interest will always prevent me from volunteering to be whipped and hung from hooks outside of a really awesome BDSM scene. It's illogical. Stop arguing strawmen and stick to the discussion at hand.

Pretty much, even though the definition of murder says "unlawful killing of another human being", I honestly don't care to tell the difference between murderer and a killer. Which is: A person, animal, or thing that kills.
So you would support the punishment of people who kill an animal for food?

The Sum of Awe

Pain isn't an emotion.

Feeling =/= Emotion. Pain is a feeling. Pain is a sign of sapience and consciousness. I'm sure you at least know animals feel pain.

Physical freedom yes. I thought you were talking about the idea of freedom. So you want to let all animals loose?

What's the point of having the idea of freedom without having freedom? That's unfair.

And not necessarily loose, some can't survive on their own, but let them have their freewill.

So you're arguing that nothing's wrong unless you've experienced it and have decided it to be so? Why even have ethics then. You haven't been killed and eaten and therefore you can't judge it to be wrong.

No I wasn't saying that at all, I was saying that you do not know how wrong something is until you feel it. In fact, someone may actually find what you find wrong right.

I haven't been killed and eaten, but I can judge that it is wrong, I just don't comprehend how 'wrong' it is. If you get killed and eaten and find it right, which I highly doubt you will otherwise why not just let yourself be farmed right now, then sure eating animals is a good moral to you then.

She's not free, I keep her indoors her entire life.

She is as free as a child who you don't want to leave your yard without you, she should be at least. Some things animals can't be free in for their own protection, but for our own greediness, that's not a fair reason.

Because we domesticated them that way. Cows are domesticated and would not survive well in the wild. Modern cattle are not the equivalent of wild cattle or bison.

Cows probably can survive well in the wild, maybe not 100% well, but heh wild humans aren't 100% well in their own filth anyway.

Back up your assertion about love.

I already did... They are conscious, thus they have feelings, thus they have love.

No it isn't.

How isn't it?

Because enlightened self interest will always prevent me from volunteering to be whipped and hung from hooks outside of a really awesome BDSM scene. It's illogical. Stop arguing strawmen and stick to the discussion at hand.

Are you saying nonhumans are selfless? Even if that were true, they don't deserve the pain and suffering and death they get, neither would you.

So you would support the punishment of people who kill an animal for food?

Not exactly.

I would first support stores and marketing places to put pictures of dead animals straight from the slaughter house on there, no cleaned up or anything, just gory and lying there in their lifeless bodies. They will have them right by which meat they belong to.

Dead pig by pork.
Dead cow by steak.
Etc.

And vegetables will have pictures of them right after them being taken from the ground, fruits will have pictures of them after being taken from the plant, etc.

And if people still support it, I do support them being treated as a killer, as long as they see what they are paying money to see more of.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Feeling =/= Emotion. Pain is a feeling. Pain is a sign of sapience and consciousness. I'm sure you at least know animals feel pain.
No sapience is not the same thing as sentience or consciousness.

What's the point of having the idea of freedom without having freedom? That's unfair.
And animals don't have that idea of freedom. Life's not fair, btw. Fair isn't the point of things.
And not necessarily loose, some can't survive on their own, but let them have their freewill.
So you want a large zoo? You want the cows out where they can eaten by wolves or should we keep them protected and safe?

No I wasn't saying that at all, I was saying that you do not know how wrong something is until you feel it. In fact, someone may actually find what you find wrong right.
You're not really making sense here with your argument.
I haven't been killed and eaten, but I can judge that it is wrong, I just don't comprehend how 'wrong' it is. If you get killed and eaten and find it right, which I highly doubt you will otherwise why not just let yourself be farmed right now, then sure eating animals is a good moral to you then.
A personal emotional experience isn't required, objectivity is fine. Again you have a rather twisted perspective here if you think that this makes sense. I'm aruging that humans and animals are different. As I'm not an animal, but a human, your argument doesn't have any effect on me.

She is as free as a child who you don't want to leave your yard without you, she should be at least. Some things animals can't be free in for their own protection, but for our own greediness, that's not a fair reason.
No, my cat doesn't have the freedom a child has. And I have her because of my own greediness. I wanted a cat. I found her in the park, and I decided to keep her, that's greedy even as it's kind.

Cows probably can survive well in the wild, maybe not 100% well, but heh wild humans aren't 100% well in their own filth anyway.
Sorry, "wild humans" are filthy? Who are these wild humans you're talking about?

And no, domestic animals are not good at foraging and very good at getting eaten and ill in the wild.

I already did... They are conscious, thus they have feelings, thus they have love
So, a lobster can love something...
That's not proof that's belief.

How isn't it?
Look up the definition of sapience in wikipedia and note how it is distinguished from sentience or consciousness.

Are you saying nonhumans are selfless? Even if that were true, they don't deserve the pain and suffering and death they get, neither would you.
No, I'm saying that humans are selfish and animals don't have the concept.

Not exactly.

I would first support stores and marketing places to put pictures of dead animals straight from the slaughter house on there, no cleaned up or anything, just gory and lying there in their lifeless bodies. They will have them right by which meat they belong to.

Dead pig by pork.
Dead cow by steak.
Etc.

And vegetables will have pictures of them right after them being taken from the ground, fruits will have pictures of them after being taken from the plant, etc.

And if people still support it, I do support them being treated as a killer, as long as they see what they are paying money to see more of.
So people who kill their own meat right now, who work on farms, in slaughterhouses and as butchers, they're murderers to you?

I'm really glad you're not running things. I'm for people knowing more about where their food comes from. I'm against calling meat-eaters murderers.

The Sum of Awe

No sapience is not the same thing as sentience or consciousness.

I know that... I never said it was.

ability to apply knowledge or experience or understanding or common sense and insight.

They know what pain is, they have felt it. They have the common sense to know.

And animals don't have that idea of freedom. Life's not fair, btw. Fair isn't the point of things.

Life isn't fair all of the time, but we make it unfair all of the time for them when there is no need to.

If fairness isn't the point of things, then we shouldn't have women voting, eh?

So you want a large zoo? You want the cows out where they can eaten by wolves or should we keep them protected and safe?

No I don't want them in zoos...

We don't protect them and keep them safe, we torture the living crap out of them, then we kill them for food.

Would you prefer to be in the dangerous wild, dangerous for all species, or being locked in a farm being kicked around, forced to work, and be killed slowly for another's food?

You're not really making sense here with your argument.

Basically, you can say the holocaust was bad, but you never experienced it, you don't know how bad it was, you just know it was bad.

A personal emotional experience isn't required, objectivity is fine. Again you have a rather twisted perspective here if you think that this makes sense. I'm aruging that humans and animals are different. As I'm not an animal, but a human, your argument doesn't have any effect on me.

There is no objective good and bad's so...

Humans and animals are only different in this discussion, being that I said we can use the word 'animals' for nonhumans. In reality, though, humans are animals.

No, my cat doesn't have the freedom a child has. And I have her because of my own greediness. I wanted a cat. I found her in the park, and I decided to keep her, that's greedy even as it's kind.

Then I don't think that is an ethical way to treat your cat.

Sorry, "wild humans" are filthy? Who are these wild humans you're talking about?

Humans in the wild, and what I meant by filth is the stuff we create for our "better world" as it has been called...

And no, domestic animals are not good at foraging and very good at getting eaten and ill in the wild.

It's obvious they will die, we all die, but when we keep them as SLAVES they die without any other chance, they can't fight for their survival, they couldn't be with their family, they couldn't eat what they wanted to eat.

So, a lobster can love something...
That's not proof that's belief.

Consciousness comes like a package - emotion, feeling, the five senses, and being aware.

Yes lobsters can love something why not?

How exactly is it a belief?

Look up the definition of sapience in wikipedia and note how it is distinguished from sentience or consciousness.

I know the difference... Just to make sure I checked again, and so far I wasn't wrong on the definition.

No, I'm saying that humans are selfish and animals don't have the concept.

They don't have the word "selfish" to describe themselves, obviously, nor can they explain it the way we do, but I'm sure they can feel selfish emotion.

Ever observed dogs barking at you? They are protecting themselves in fear you may hurt them, but they do give you a chance, if you hurt they will bite.

If you throw a ball with two dogs watching, they may fight over it.

Dogs can beg for a treat for their own want.

Animals do indeed has self-interest.

So people who kill their own meat right now, who work on farms, in slaughterhouses and as butchers, they're murderers to you?

Yes.

I'm really glad you're not running things. I'm for people knowing more about where their food comes from. I'm against calling meat-eaters murderers.

This could be translated into:

I'm really glad you don't make the rules. I don't know where my food is coming from and don't think it'd change my mind to see it. I'm against people calling me a murderer just because I like killing things for my taste-buds' entertainment.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I know that... I never said it was.
Then stop assuming that consciousness equates. Feeling pain doesn't equal sapience.
They know what pain is, they have felt it. They have the common sense to know.
They don't have common sense.
Life isn't fair all of the time, but we make it unfair all of the time for them when there is no need to.

If fairness isn't the point of things, then we shouldn't have women voting, eh?
You ignored my point which was that animals don't have the concept of freedom, stop changing the subject.
No I don't want them in zoos...

We don't protect them and keep them safe, we torture the living crap out of them, then we kill them for food.
That's not what I asked, what would you do with all the animals that exist now.

Would you prefer to be in the dangerous wild, dangerous for all species, or being locked in a farm being kicked around, forced to work, and be killed slowly for another's food?
I'm not discussing humans, so stop trying to change the topic.

Basically, you can say the holocaust was bad, but you never experienced it, you don't know how bad it was, you just know it was bad.
Which is irrelevent.

There is no objective good and bad's so...
Sorry, who said that?

Humans and animals are only different in this discussion, being that I said we can use the word 'animals' for nonhumans. In reality, though, humans are animals.
Stop going back to the semantics.

Then I don't think that is an ethical way to treat your cat.
Everyone has a cat out of selfishness even if they're also being kind.

Humans in the wild, and what I meant by filth is the stuff we create for our "better world" as it has been called...
Be more specific about these "wild humans" because I rather don't like the implications of that.

Regardless, humans as a species survived the wild just fine, it's why we're here today. But we are talking about domestic animals, stay focused and stop flailing.

It's obvious they will die, we all die, but when we keep them as SLAVES they die without any other chance, they can't fight for their survival, they couldn't be with their family, they couldn't eat what they wanted to eat.
They're not slaves and they don't really have families. Slaves refers to humans. Talk about animals.

Consciousness comes like a package - emotion, feeling, the five senses, and being aware.
Oh I didn't know it was a two for one deal at KMart.
Sapience is different.

Yes lobsters can love something why not?
Provide evidence.

How exactly is it a belief?
Because it's questioned whether lobsters feel pain, and many molluscs and insects can't feel pain at all so somehow I doubt that love is on the table, but please prove otherwise.

I know the difference... Just to make sure I checked again, and so far I wasn't wrong on the definition.
Yeah, you are.

They don't have the word "selfish" to describe themselves, obviously, nor can they explain it the way we do, but I'm sure they can feel selfish emotion.

Ever observed dogs barking at you? They are protecting themselves in fear you may hurt them, but they do give you a chance, if you hurt they will bite.

If you throw a ball with two dogs watching, they may fight over it.

Dogs can beg for a treat for their own want.

Animals do indeed has self-interest.
Instinct for survival, even instinct for socialization, isn't the same thing as understanding the concept with a mind.

Again, glad you don't make the rules. Most of the world is a murderer in your eyes, how's that like living in this world?

This could be translated into:

I'm really glad you don't make the rules. I don't know where my food is coming from and don't think it'd change my mind to see it. I'm against people calling me a murderer just because I like killing things for my taste-buds' entertainment.
Sorry I know where my food comes from, did you think I didn't?
You can call me whatever you want, but you're never going to convince anyone the way you're going. Stop throwing things at the wall and hoping they'll stick. They aren't and you aren't arguing effectively at all. And your translation was bad.

So I am indeed glad you're not making the rules. I know where my food comes from and that my steak is the muscle of a cow, and that the dead deer by the side of the road is food and so on. Your assumption that I'm ignorant because I disagree with you is flawed.

I think you're overzealous and using bad logic to argue for your opinion. It's fine that you're veggie, cool even, but you're not convincing that it's unethical.

The Sum of Awe

Then stop assuming that consciousness equates. Feeling pain doesn't equal sapience.

Consciousness wasn't the sapience, I didn't say it was, I said they don't only feel pain but they judge it as pain.

They don't have common sense.

You just skipped over all of the reasons I gave on why they have common sense...

You ignored my point which was that animals don't have the concept of freedom, stop changing the subject.

I didn't ignore anything, I replied saying that animals would know freedom when they feel it, the only reason they don't right now is because they never experienced it.

That's not what I asked, what would you do with all the animals that exist now.

I answered what you asked, you seemed to have trimmed it in your quotes. I answered it with a question.

I'm not discussing humans, so stop trying to change the topic.

Pretty much the same thing.

Which is irrelevent.

It's completely relevant if you wanted to know what I meant.

Sorry, who said that?

You did: "A personal emotional experience isn't required, objectivity is fine."

Stop going back to the semantics.

You made me...

Everyone has a cat out of selfishness even if they're also being kind.

I was more talking about the way you treat your cat if you keep it in a cage all of the time or if it isn't as free as a child (you know around 4-5)

Be more specific about these "wild humans" because I rather don't like the implications of that.

We are wild animals by definition. I just said wild humans because you said domesticated animals.

Regardless, humans as a species survived the wild just fine, it's why we're here today. But we are talking about domestic animals, stay focused and stop flailing.

Though there were humans eaten for food by lions and such. So we made it, but we don't make it very good in the wild.

I was also.

How am I flailing?
Blog2.gif

They're not slaves and they don't really have families. Slaves refers to humans. Talk about animals.

:facepalm:

1. Why only humans? If I slave blacks, I can say "Slaves refers to whites, talk about caucasians."
2. How do they not have families? That is ridiculous.

Oh I didn't know it was a two for one deal at KMart.
Sapience is different.

What?

Provide evidence.

I already have tons of times. You practically ignored them all.

Because it's questioned whether lobsters feel pain, and many molluscs and insects can't feel pain at all so somehow I doubt that love is on the table, but please prove otherwise.

How are you so sure insects do not feel pain?

Lobsters have a brain. Brains cause consciousness. Consciousness causes emotions. Love is an emotion.

Yeah, you are.

Tell me how am I wrong then?

I know sapience isn't consciousness, it is pretty much the ability to know what something is, judge something using common sense. I have provided all of the facts you need to know that they are sapient.

Instinct for survival, even instinct for socialization, isn't the same thing as understanding the concept with a mind.

How do they need a treat or a ball for survival? It isn't even an instinct, my dog usually didn't chase the ball if he was tired of the game.

Again, glad you don't make the rules. Most of the world is a murderer in your eyes, how's that like living in this world?

You completely skipped what I said - I said that they are murders if they know what happens and if they know they are paying for more death and pain and suffering.

A lot know that they are killing things, but a lot also are ignorant of doing it. We should reach global attention, I'm pretty excited to call the remaining people murderers.

Sorry I know where my food comes from, did you think I didn't?

[youtube]ghL6nk7qWX4[/youtube]
Hitting Pigs With Hammers - YouTube

[youtube]TDXvm8Vwb1I[/youtube]
A day in a slaughter house - YouTube

Watch these videos, or at least the second one, because that is where your food comes from, and if you are aware of that you wouldn't mind watching them.

You can call me whatever you want, but you're never going to convince anyone the way you're going. Stop throwing things at the wall and hoping they'll stick. They aren't and you aren't arguing effectively at all. And your translation was bad.

That's basically what you said in your mind. I'm sure you also think you care about animals but pay for them to die slowly.

I don't care if I'm not effective, I'm using facts not stereotypes.

So I am indeed glad you're not making the rules. I know where my food comes from and that my steak is the muscle of a cow, and that the dead deer by the side of the road is food and so on. Your assumption that I'm ignorant because I disagree with you is flawed.

[youtube]TDXvm8Vwb1I[/youtube]
A day in a slaughter house - YouTube

Again watch this video all of the way through, if you are brave enough to know where your food comes from.

If you skip over this video, I think you're unwilling to know what you're paying for. It's more than just "killing animals slowly", you'd have to see it and hear it.

I think you're overzealous and using bad logic to argue for your opinion. It's fine that you're veggie, cool even, but you're not convincing that it's unethical.

How does any of these posts, even not mine, act as not convincing? We've stated facts. Whether you still believe they are not sapient or you do... Does the lack of sapience really give you the right to kill them? They still are conscious, they still feel pain, they still suffer, they still have emotion. Isn't that enough to be ethical to? How do you not care about these poor creatures who are suffering and have done nothing wrong? How is it at all not ethical to not care about the suffering in this world?

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
You just skipped over all of the reasons I gave on why they have common sense...
No, I'm skipping over you stating they have common sense and emotion without any actual proof. Your stating it over and over again doesn't make it true.
I replied saying that animals would know freedom when they feel it, the only reason they don't right now is because they never experienced it.
A wild deer doesn't know what freedom is they don't understand the concept.
I answered what you asked, you seemed to have trimmed it in your quotes. I answered it with a question.
You asked a question about a human, you didn't answer the question. This is intellectually dishonest.

Pretty much the same thing.
No they're not.
It's completely relevant if you wanted to know what I meant.
But utterly irrelevant to the thread.
You did: "A personal emotional experience isn't required, objectivity is fine."
Right, Objectivity is fine. Not "there are no objective goods and bads" which you said.

You made me...
... really.
I was more talking about the way you treat your cat if you keep it in a cage all of the time or if it isn't as free as a child (you know around 4-5)
I never said I caged my cat. I said my cat is never going to be as free as any child.

We are wild animals by definition. I just said wild humans because you said domesticated animals.
That doesn't make sense to me but ok.

Though there were humans eaten for food by lions and such. So we made it, but we don't make it very good in the wild.
Individuals don't matter, when you're talking about the success of a species.

How am I flailing?
By saying that if I support meat I must be ok with being beaten and slaughtered myself. You're throwing out personal style attacks rather than logic based ones. And you keep changing the topic. Also the little facepalm smileys are kind of sad.

1. Why only humans? If I slave blacks, I can say "Slaves refers to whites, talk about caucasians."
2. How do they not have families? That is ridiculous.
Because black people are humans.
They have mates and offspring those aren't necessarily families.
I already have tons of times. You practically ignored them all.
You're proving nothing.

How are you so sure insects do not feel pain?

Lobsters have a brain. Brains cause consciousness. Consciousness causes emotions. Love is an emotion.
Do Insects Feel Pain? – How Do We Know If Insects Feel Pain?
Can insects feel pain? – The Blogs at HowStuffWorks

And as for lobsters:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/PainManagement/story?id=722163&page=1#.TtrDNVZjFC8
A recent scientific report from Norway has added fuel to this long-simmering debate. The study, funded by the Norwegian government, finds that animals like lobsters have nervous systems that are too simple to process what we call "pain."
According to Yaksh, primitive animals like lobsters have the ability to perceive and respond to a "noxious stimulus," that is, any agent that can cause physical harm like tissue damage.
But scientists like Yaksh stop short of calling what the lobster feels "pain" -- or pain as humans know it. The difference, Yaksh explained, is in our feelings.

But animals with simple nervous systems, like lobsters, snails and worms, do not have the ability to process emotional information and therefore do not experience suffering, say most researchers.
Animals without spines, or invertebrates, "have chain ganglia -- groups of neurons connected by nerve fibers," said Stevens.
When stimulated, these chain ganglia cause muscles to contract. "It's a very quick neuron response," Stevens said.
According to Stevens, the chain ganglia network is so simple it doesn't even require a brain. "If you remove the head region of a lobster, the body of the lobster would still react the same way, because of the local reflexes ... involving those chain ganglia," he said.
"When you drop a lobster in boiling water, or put a fishhook through a worm, those stimuli cause those muscles to contract," Stevens said. "We describe that as pain because of the motor response, which is nothing more than neurons that have been stimulated."

'Science Is Not an Exact Science' Reports like the recent one claiming lobsters feel no pain, however, arouse the ire of some animal-rights activists.
"I don't care what this report came out with -- I don't know how anyone could say that the lobster does not feel pain," said Mary Beth Sweetland, director of research and investigations for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

This is the illogic that you are arguing. "I don't care about science, they must be wrong because I say so."

Tell me how am I wrong then?

I know sapience isn't consciousness, it is pretty much the ability to know what something is, judge something using common sense. I have provided all of the facts you need to know that they are sapient.
I'm done discussing the matter, you've done nothing of the sort.
How do they need a treat or a ball for survival? It isn't even an instinct, my dog usually didn't chase the ball if he was tired of the game.
We weren't talking about treats and balls, we were talking about the concept of self. But you're changing the topic again.

You completely skipped what I said - I said that they are murders if they know what happens and if they know they are paying for more death and pain and suffering.
Yeah so they're murderers.

A lot know that they are killing things, but a lot also are ignorant of doing it. We should reach global attention, I'm pretty excited to call the remaining people murderers.
LOL

Watch these videos, or at least the second one, because that is where your food comes from, and if you are aware of that you wouldn't mind watching them.

That's basically what you said in your mind. I'm sure you also think you care about animals but pay for them to die slowly.
I watched. I'm going to go eat meat now. And cheese from a factory cow. Seriously, when I said I know where my meat comes from, I meant it.

I don't care if I'm not effective, I'm using facts not stereotypes.
You're making up facts and making emotional appeals.

Again watch this video all of the way through, if you are brave enough to know where your food comes from.

If you skip over this video, I think you're unwilling to know what you're paying for. It's more than just "killing animals slowly", you'd have to see it and hear it.
You're repeating yourself so I will. I watched. And I'm ethically unmoved. I've seen it before.

How does any of these posts, even not mine, act as not convincing? We've stated facts. Whether you still believe they are not sapient or you do... Does the lack of sapience really give you the right to kill them? They still are conscious, they still feel pain, they still suffer, they still have emotion. Isn't that enough to be ethical to? How do you not care about these poor creatures who are suffering and have done nothing wrong? How is it at all not ethical to not care about the suffering in this world?
Ethical sure. Eating them is still ok.
Your belief that most of us meat eaters are heartless callous beings is a false one.

The Sum of Awe

No, I'm skipping over you stating they have common sense and emotion without any actual proof. Your stating it over and over again doesn't make it true.

You are not reading it or at least fully understanding it. I'm not claiming that their consciousness IS their sapience, it is what gives them it.

A wild deer doesn't know what freedom is they don't understand the concept.

But they haven't felt slavery either.

Basically, we don't absolutely KNOW that we are something until we have been at the complete other end. Humans that have been given money their whole life do not know what it's like to lack money, knowing that there are people not-as-rich is not good enough.

You asked a question about a human, you didn't answer the question. This is intellectually dishonest.

Who cares if it is about another form of being? They both have emotions, psyche, and consciousness, and obviously a body.

Your answer to that question would be the answer to your question.

No they're not.

-sigh- Even if animals didn't have sapience, they still are very similar to humans, they know when they are in pain and they know when they are having a good time, and because of this that is enough to consider them close enough.

But utterly irrelevant to the thread.

Then why did you even ask?

Right, Objectivity is fine. Not "there are no objective goods and bads" which you said.

Objectively, there is also no bad side of killing a human, so if you want to judge by objectivity have some human meat.

... really.

Yes?

I never said I caged my cat. I said my cat is never going to be as free as any child.

You don't have to cage it for it to be unethical treatment.

Individuals don't matter, when you're talking about the success of a species.

Then domesticated cows can succeed...

By saying that if I support meat I must be ok with being beaten and slaughtered myself. You're throwing out personal style attacks rather than logic based ones. And you keep changing the topic. Also the little facepalm smileys are kind of sad.

How is it unlogical? An eye for an eye is not really illogical. If you get to punch a guy but he can't punch you back, that's called being unfair.

Because black people are humans.

Doesn't matter.

They have mates and offspring those aren't necessarily families.

Definition of family: Noun:
A group consisting of parents and children

We all have parents, at least genetically, and that's what matters.

This doesn't, however, preclude the fact that insects, spiders, and other arthropods are living organisms that deserve humane treatment.

^From your article.

This is the illogic that you are arguing. "I don't care about science, they must be wrong because I say so."

How is that even relevant to what I'm saying? And what does science have to do with ethics? The science supports me, being that they do have consciousness, emotion, feelings, and other psychological affects. Is it fine to take the life of something that has all of those?

I'm done discussing the matter, you've done nothing of the sort.

Done because you just want to say "you don't know a definition" but now that I've shown you I had known you have no where to hide?

We weren't talking about treats and balls, we were talking about the concept of self. But you're changing the topic again.

Wow... That's ridiculous.

You completely danced around it. I used "treats and balls" in my argument on why they have selfish emotions, then you claimed that those weren't selfish emotions, just needed instincts, and I asked how, and you replied that we were never talking about that... Seriously...

Good reply... :facepalm:

I watched. I'm going to go eat meat now. And cheese from a factory cow. Seriously, when I said I know where my meat comes from, I meant it.

If you can watch something with emotions, that feel the pain that is going on, that are dying alive! and still eat those dead bodies, that just proves the definition of this word fits you:

Sadistic - The deriving of pleasure, or the tendency to derive pleasure, from cruelty.

You're making up facts and making emotional appeals.

I'm not making up facts, they are emotional and conscious beings... That is a fact.

Is this sapient enough: http://digitaljournal.com/article/262210

A parrot knowing that a toddler is in pain, using common sense to save her.

Ethical sure. Eating them is still ok.
Your belief that most of us meat eaters are heartless callous beings is a false one.

If you see how it is ethical, why not act in an ethical behavior then?

The ones that know exactly what they are paying for, and what that money would do are obviously heartless, they don't care about a being that feels and is consciously aware. How is that false?

Let's say a non-sapient human comes by some day, can I beat the crap out of him, separate him from his family, make him work for me, and then butcher him alive? No, of course not.

And I still do think animals are sapient, if I still haven't moved you, I don't see why "lack of sapience" is a reason that it is not bad to harm a living creature for your own greedy desires that we can live without.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I give up, I've now been called a liar and a sadist tonight and quite frankly I'm not enough of a masochist to continue.

I know where meat comes from and I will continue to eat it. If anyone else in this thread wants to continue discussing the ethical issues with that I'm glad to, but I won't continue the discussion with Sum.