• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meat Eaters = Selfish (Steve & Bill)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
There's a guy named Steve and a guy named Bill... Steve is in his home, minding his own business. Bill breaks in and tries to kill Steve. Steve fights the guy back so hard that he actually kills the invader of his home

So he kills this guy that broke into his home, self defense, yada yada, and he's off cop-free because he was doing what he was entitled to do, defending his life.

The thing you don't know about Bill is that Bill actually killed an 80 year old man and 3 kids. Bill obviously kills people just because he enjoys doing it, because Bill doesn't care about other people.

Here's the thing, people USED TO kill animals for the sake of survival, they had to... What do we do now? We line animals up in factories and we slaughter them. For what reason? Because people like the taste of them. They know that red meat is exceedingly bad for them, it's almost literally cancer to their heart. But they go on consuming it needlessly...

So once upon a time, people ate animals for the sake of survival... And now people kill animals for no good reason at all other than their own selfishness.

We basically went from being Steve, killing for survival, and turned into Bills, killing for selfishness.

We used to have honor, we used to have justification, but now it's just mindless, selfish genocide.

These are creatures with nervous systems people, that means brains like the ones we have.

One thing I'd like to say before I close up... Why is it (a pig can be as intelligent as a 3 year old human) and yet we treasure these equally intelligent creatures way more than pigs? What is it that makes humans so much more valuable than these animals? Because I thought it was intelligence, but guess not considering how smart pigs are and despite that we slaughter them in the millions.

It's an amazing thing, us human beings look at these animals as if we own them... As if they're nothing? Then we go home to our dogs and cats and act like their special, we act like we love animals and then we slaughter them, day by day for the sake of our own selfishness.

Just imagine one day, a species comes along, and thinks that humans are not valuable... They're not smart... They're just dumb animals... Then you selfish ones will be balling your selfish eyes out when they are going to put you down, slowly, after your long life of living in a cage, producing for them.

When you are separated from your family, work and get nothing out of it but life in a cage, and get killed when you are too old to work.

They don't need to eat us! But god damnet we taste good...

Don't cry for mercy when you refuse to give it.

- Going to practice vegetarianism -

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
*shrug* it's the same story in video format?

Animals kill animals, people and animals kill plants.

And killing animals is not genocide. That's insulting to people who were killed by genocidal acts.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
There's a guy named Steve and a guy named Bill... Steve is in his home, minding his own business. Bill breaks in and tries to kill Steve. Steve fights the guy back so hard that he actually kills the invader of his home

So he kills this guy that broke into his home, self defense, yada yada, and he's off cop-free because he was doing what he was entitled to do, defending his life.

The thing you don't know about Bill is that Bill actually killed an 80 year old man and 3 kids. Bill obviously kills people just because he enjoys doing it, because Bill doesn't care about other people.

Here's the thing, people USED TO kill animals for the sake of survival, they had to... What do we do now? We line animals up in factories and we slaughter them. For what reason? Because people like the taste of them. They know that red meat is exceedingly bad for them, it's almost literally cancer to their heart. But they go on consuming it needlessly...

So once upon a time, people ate animals for the sake of survival... And now people kill animals for no good reason at all other than their own selfishness.

We basically went from being Steve, killing for survival, and turned into Bills, killing for selfishness.

We used to have honor, we used to have justification, but now it's just mindless, selfish genocide.

These are creatures with nervous systems people, that means brains like the ones we have.

One thing I'd like to say before I close up... Why is it (a pig can be as intelligent as a 3 year old human) and yet we treasure these equally intelligent creatures way more than pigs? What is it that makes humans so much more valuable than these animals? Because I thought it was intelligence, but guess not considering how smart pigs are and despite that we slaughter them in the millions.

It's an amazing thing, us human beings look at these animals as if we own them... As if they're nothing? Then we go home to our dogs and cats and act like their special, we act like we love animals and then we slaughter them, day by day for the sake of our own selfishness.

Just imagine one day, a species comes along, and thinks that humans are not valuable... They're not smart... They're just dumb animals... Then you selfish ones will be balling your selfish eyes out when they are going to put you down, slowly, after your long life of living in a cage, producing for them.

When you are separated from your family, work and get nothing out of it but life in a cage, and get killed when you are too old to work.

Meat is still the natural requirement of out bodies. We are omnivores. Look at our eye placement we were meant to eat meet. We eat more meat then we should. but we still need some meat. if the inhumane practices both you can buy organic meat or hunt your own. . Enjoy your genetically engendered plants.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Eating meat is natural for humans. Our bodies are built to eat meat (as well as plants). We may not slaughter animals in a more productive way, but that is because there are many more people now.

Not to mention, if we stop actually being participants in the food chain (as we are that), various populations of animals would become dangerous to us, or themselves. For instance, if people stopped hunting deer in my state, the population would soon climb to a level that simply could not be supported by the environment. Thus, the deer would starve to death as there simply would not be more food. More so, they would be ruining the lively hood of many individuals, for who the deer are already a nuisance.

There is nothing wrong with eating meat. It is not selfish, and one shouldn't be ashamed to eat meat. Demonizing meat eating simply is a low blow, and only a way in which one tries to force their idea onto others by saying it is the only way. And really, it comes off as very egotistical and self-righteous.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I rarely eat red meat. When I do eat meat, it's nearly always seafood or chicken. So the health issue is a moot issue for me, since most of my diet consists of vegetables, whole grains, fruits and fowl or seafood.

Heck I don't even buy eggs that are from chicken farms.

So I don't feel guilty...except for those crabs I have to boil alive...

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Sum of Awe, I've been a vegetarian all my life and have had all the debates one can possibly have on the topic.

I do not agree that eating red meat is only unhealthy. I think that for most people, it is healthy to have some red meat.

Here are the problems I see:

1) People eat far too much meat, which is why it causes so many health problems

2) It isn't necessary for moderately wealthy people in developed nations to eat meat in order to be healthy, due to global export markets that allow for all the variety of food in the world.

3) The incredible demand for meat has lead to very unethical practices of animal slaughter, which is unavoidable for (profit-making) businesses

4) Meat eating IS natural for humans, but it is not necessary. With our level of intelligence and ability to feel empathy and compassion, it is sad that so many people are happy to ignore the suffering of animals for the sake of sense enjoyment.

5) Animals are pumped with hormones and toxins (heard of the mercury issue with fish consumption?), which effects human health.

I do not judge or condemn people who are poor/struggling or do not have access to a variety of healthy non-animal food products for eating meat. Meat is a quick and easy way to get a lot of essential nutrients. If you have no other choice, then you must think of yourself first. My argument is that if you have the means to either reduce or elliminate meat consumption, then that is the ethical and moral choice to make.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Meat is still the natural requirement of out bodies. We are omnivores. Look at our eye placement we were meant to eat meet. We eat more meat then we should. but we still need some meat. if the inhumane practices both you can buy organic meat or hunt your own. . Enjoy your genetically engendered plants.

The fact is that we don´t require meat to survive or be healthy. My blood results show that.

Eating meat is natural for humans. Our bodies are built to eat meat (as well as plants).

So what? Our bodies are built to be ommnivores because evolution takes time and now we don´t need it for survival it will still look like it for a couple of millenia.

About it being "Natural" let me tell you something: We are the only specie that can change it´s nature so quick and so effectively. We are a specie that can naturaly choose to be vegetarian. You will not see a lion reason it´s way to vegetarianism.

So as "natural" as it is for us to eat meat, it is also natural for us to choose to not to. Killing people because we feel treathened by them is incredibly natural in any species (including humans). We choose the other natural choice that is to preserve community and to build compassion (that is more natural to us than to any other animal in the living kingdom)

There is more than one natural choice: One comes from what we´ve been doing for millenia, the other one comes from how compassionate and moral we can become.

So both being a vegetarian and not being a vebgetarian are natural choices for humans.

Are you sure you are not eating just for the taste?

Not to mention, if we stop actually being participants in the food chain (as we are that), various populations of animals would become dangerous to us, or themselves. For instance, if people stopped hunting deer in my state, the population would soon climb to a level that simply could not be supported by the environment. Thus, the deer would starve to death as there simply would not be more food. More so, they would be ruining the lively hood of many individuals, for who the deer are already a nuisance.

You know that a huge part of the Green House effect comes from cows farting?

I am not even joking (though it is funny :D) . If you are going to tell me that then we should eat this cows I´ll tell you that´s exactly the problem: All this extra cows only exist to be our meat, they are owned by meat industries and if we didn´t ate so many cows, they wouldn´t breed so many cows.

So if you want to think collective good, let me tell you, stay eating deer, but stay off the McDonalds.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Humans are a part of the animal kingdom.

Humans are omnivorous.

If one chooses to refrain from eating the flesh of other animals, more power to you. (I was once a chef at a bar that catered to vegans and vegetarians.)

Myself? I eat meat (red, white, fish, eggs), along with vegies, grains, fruits, dairy, and a bit of junk food (Oreos, 3 Musketeers).

And no. I don't feel guilty about it.
Nor do I feel guilty when I go home to my cat and dog ...and feed them meat.

The Sum of Awe

*shrug* it's the same story in video format?

Animals kill animals, people and animals kill plants.

And killing animals is not genocide. That's insulting to people who were killed by genocidal acts.

The way we kill them it is... Birthing them to be eaten, not even giving them a chance at the very least.

The Sum of Awe

Not really, we're omnivores. That's exactly why I'm against meat now, because we take it more than we should.

The Sum of Awe

Eating meat is natural for humans. Our bodies are built to eat meat (as well as plants). We may not slaughter animals in a more productive way, but that is because there are many more people now.

There is nothing wrong with eating meat. It is not selfish, and one shouldn't be ashamed to eat meat. Demonizing meat eating simply is a low blow, and only a way in which one tries to force their idea onto others by saying it is the only way. And really, it comes off as very egotistical and self-righteous.

Deer eat almost anything, I doubt they will run out any time soon.

The Sum of Awe

Humans are a part of the animal kingdom.

Humans are omnivorous.

If one chooses to refrain from eating the flesh of other animals, more power to you. (I was once a chef at a bar that catered to vegans and vegetarians.)

Myself? I eat meat (red, white, fish, eggs), along with vegies, grains, fruits, dairy, and a bit of junk food (Oreos, 3 Musketeers).

And no. I don't feel guilty about it.
Nor do I feel guilty when I go home to my cat and dog ...and feed them meat.

More power to the farming plants to kill more people.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Meat has fallen victim to consumerism, its impact magnified by globalism, but it's an old story. If you want to blame selfishness, that's as good and arbitrary a villain as any.

Viker

Häxan

I'm disappointed you didn't include Daryl, who still kills animals for survival. He does so because he objects to how mass production animals are treated and is disgusted by all the crap they feed these poor things. BTW, he kills wild animals very mercifully and uses their flesh for food and to supplement his diet. Even extra food and hides go to his local yet humble Amish friends. No trophies on his walls or floors as he finds that deplorable.

He also notices that other humans have the luxury to choose any diet they will. And they all do so for very selfish reasons like, morality, ethics, excess hunger, hunger in general, because they want to or don't want to and maybe just to survive and sustain their own life. That's all that luxury can afford one of these upright uptight creatures.

Daryl agrees with you. Bill is selfish, so was Steve and so is about 7 billion other human animals. Bill's actions were excessive, needless and course. Reminds Daryl of a rabid raccoon he ran across once.

Also, Daryl would be one of the few who have kept our modern luxuries in perspective and in check. He would be one of the few potentially able to evade, survive long ventures alone in the wild and offer resistance to these alien intruders, no time for "balling one's eyes out" then. Self preservation continues and so goes on the cycle of life.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Deer eat almost anything, I doubt they will run out any time soon.
They get sick and spread disease, they starve or they move into populated areas and are hit by cars. Humans are the closet things that most deer populations have to a natural predator because we killed or evicted the bears, wolves and large cats that used to do it.
The way we kill them it is... Birthing them to be eaten, not even giving them a chance at the very least.
Still not genocide. Factory farming, even abuse in some situations, but it isn't genocide and it's an offensive and PETA-esque comparison.

As if it's somehow not murder if you let the animal make a run for it first?

I'd rather see less abuse, and I eat less meat these days than I used to, but I'm not likely to stop eating it altogether.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
If eating meat is selfish, then all eating is selfish, since there's no way to eat any sort of food without taking some sort of life.

As has been stated numerous times, humans are omnivores, and thus are supposed to get our nutrition from various sources, including plants and animals. While I wholly disagree with factory farming, I'm not going to use that to guilt-trip people out of eating meat, since there's alternative ways to obtain it from more humane sources, like farmer's markets.