• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meat and Mormonism

MJS

Excuse me, but the last time I went in for a Temple Recommend, I was asked, "Do you live the Word of Wisdom"? Nobody mentioned "certain portions of it" that had to be lived with exactness. Perhaps your bishop or stake president makes a distinction between those parts and the parts that are "up to the interpretation of the members." :rolleyes:

The Church Handbook of Instructions states only this about the Word of Wisdom:

"The only official interpretation of “hot drinks” (D&C 89:9) in the Word of Wisdom is the statement made by early Church leaders that the term “hot drinks” means tea and coffee. Members should not use any substance that contains illegal drugs. Nor should members use harmful or habit-forming substances except under the care of a competent physician."

It's clear there has not been a lot of direction on the Word of Wisdom. There are specific things that can prevent you from receiving a temple recommend or getting baptized, and those are: using tobacco, alcohol, coffee, tea, or illegal drugs. Nothing else from the Word of Wisdom prevents you from receiving a temple recommend or getting baptized. When missionaries extend commitments to investigators it is to abstain from those things. Ultimately, since there is no direction anywhere other than what "hot drinks" means, living the word of wisdom is up to the interpretation of the members.

Now, I believe that living by the word of wisdom includes more than that. I believe that eating meat sparingly, specifically, is something that most members of the church do not do well enough. But that's not something that would keep you out of the temple or prevent baptism.