• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile Ted Cruz chooses a bad time to go to Mexico.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So I'm beginning to gather.

I always thought democracy was about us -- the people making the rules. Turns out that, at least in the US from what I can tell, that's not it at all. The demos seems to be all about worshipping their king/emperors. Has America really forgotten what it started out to be?
We don't just worship them.
We also hate them.
And even meh them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Je t'accuse!

I begin to think that you are an apologist for the status quo. Please make me wrong!
Tis my function here on RF to point out when criticism
is vapid. This time it was Cruz & his vacation. I've also
defended Obama's refusal to attack Iran. So I am a
bi-partisan multi-cultural apologist.
It's even possible that you might see me post......
s-l400.jpg

Interesting thing about my apologetics. When I've defended
a leftish politicians, I don't receive venom from the right.
Unlike the left, conservatives & religious fundies on RF
treat me with civility when I go against their views.
Too many liberals are illiberal bullies.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Tis my function here on RF to point out when criticism
is vapid. This time it was Cruz & his vacation. I've also
defended Obama's refusal to attack Iran. So I am a
bi-partisan multi-cultural apologist.
Well, I'm going to stick to my guns on the Cruz thing. When crises hit, people turn to their leaders -- too often, those who have wheedled their way into positions of leadership. And there are times, and I think that this is one of them, that leadership really does matter. It is those times when real leaders know instinctively what to do -- and what not to do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, I'm going to stick to my guns on the Cruz thing. When crises hit, people turn to their leaders -- too often, those who have wheedled their way into positions of leadership. And there are times, and I think that this is one of them, that leadership really does matter. It is those times when real leaders know instinctively what to do -- and what not to do.
Meh....I really doubt that Cruz would be
of any use to Texans without utilities.
It wouldn't bother me if he stayed in Mexico.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It isn't about leadership....just appearances.
Or "optics", as it's fashionable to call it these days.

Appearances are part of politics. It is the idea of standing together in adversity. i grant that he could not have done much, but you don't run out on your people as a leader in a time of crisis even if you could not be of much help.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Appearances are part of politics. It is the idea of standing together in adversity. i grant that he could not have done much, but you don't run out on your people as a leader in a time of crisis even if you could not be of much help.
Does this mean that you criticize Cruz solely because
his vacation's "optics" will harm his political power?
That would seem to bespeak favoring Cruz.
I dislike his politics.
If he loses power, I approve.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Does this mean that you criticize Cruz solely because
his vacation's "optics" will harm his political power?
That would seem to bespeak favoring Cruz.
I dislike his politics.
If he loses power, I approve.
No, I have plenty of reasons to criticize Crus. This example merely gives me a bit of Schadenfreude, sorry Texas. I am personally pleased that this will almost certainly harm him politically.

Cruz says he went on vacation amid storm 'to be a good dad'

He was just "Wanting to be a good dad, I flew down with them last night and am flying back this afternoon,” talking about his daughters vacation in Mexico.

I wonder if this will be remembered when he runs for reelection. As a lapdog of Trump perhaps he can get a pardon:rolleyes: I have a feeling that people may remember how out of touch he was. The good news is that he appears to be guaranteeing that Texas will go from "blue" to "purple" at the very least.
He could’ve at least planned a trip to say Puerto Rico for the rest of Congress, sat on the beach, planned something like Hamilton to watch at night and stuff like that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, I have plenty of reasons to criticize Crus. This example merely gives me a bit of Schadenfreude, sorry Texas. I am personally pleased that this will almost certainly harm him politically.
Just wait til you take a vacation some day.
He's watching & waiting.

ecco

Veteran Member
i grant that he could not have done much,

Sure he could have...
Ted Cruz ignored ‘federal quarterback’ role when he zipped off to Cancun - Roll Call
A Senate staffer’s call to the Department of Housing and Urban Development about some emergency shelters can sometimes go unanswered; a senator’s call never does. “He gets the secretary,” said Hackett, who also once worked for HUD.

“As soon as federal agencies are engaged, House and Senate offices and the lawmakers themselves do a ton to liaise between the agencies and folks on the ground,” said Phelps. “This is a life-and-death emergency in an enormous state, and you’d want your most senior person available to make a phone call and help if there's the smallest hiccup at any level.”

Senators especially can play a role coordinating federal emergency relief with state and local efforts, said Murshed Zaheed, who worked for former-Sen. Harry Reid. “In situations like this Reid would have played the role of a federal quarterback that would connect the work of a — whether Democratic or Republican — White House with all the state-based resources,” he said.

That could mean “simple things, like making sure all the homeless shelters are adequately resourced and have access to all the materials that FEMA is getting out,” he added.

While House members may have a closer connection to people in their districts, senators are typically bigger names and have more pull.
Now he's changing his story over and over. I guess Trump was right when he referred to him as “Lyin' Ted,” during the 2016 campaign

Suave

Simulated character
I perused the article. It's a big nontroversy.
The only possible explanation for the criticism of Cruz is
that it's racist....because he's Hispanic.
I know this because when I pointed out that birtherism isn't
racist because of the example of Cruz (a white guy), who
was also subjected to it. But my leftish friends told me
it was racist too because he's a POC.

As a socially enlightened person of white privilege, I've learned to overcome my inherent racist attitudes towards people of color like Ted Cruz. I do admire him for admitting he made a mistake for having gone to Cancun while his constituents were left behind experiencing a power outage crisis where phones were still working that Ted Cruz could have used to call the E.P.A. in order to help get generators, food, and water to Texans in need.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As a socially enlightened person of white privilege, I've learned to overcome my inherent racist attitudes towards people of color like Ted Cruz. I do admire him for admitting he made a mistake for having gone to Cancun while his constituents were left behind experiencing a power outage crisis where phones were still working that Ted Cruz could have used to call the E.P.A. in order to help get generators, food, and water to Texans in need.
Was his mistake one of morality, ethics, or political appearances?
Seems the last one to me. His apology serves his political power.
I understand doing that, but I don't give him credit for it.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Was his mistake one of morality, ethics, or political appearances?
Seems the last one to me. His apology serves his political power.
I understand doing that, but I don't give him credit for it.
If you had the means, would you travel to another country during a pandemic just for a vacation?

I would consider that reckless and immoral.

Suave

Simulated character
If you had the means, would you travel to another country during a pandemic just for a vacation?

If I were a U.S. Senator whose many constituents were suffering from a power outage , I'd be serving my constituents by organizing wellness check ups on seniors, and I'd be making phone calls to F.E.M.A in order to help facilitate the delivery of generators, food and water to my constituents in need. Once this crises was mostly resolved, I'd go on a nice well-deserved vacation to Las Vegas. I'd vacation within the U.S. during this C.O.V.I.D.-19 pandemic.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm the wrong person to ask in order to make the point you want.
I want to avoid all foreign travel all the time.
I see nothing wrong. Cruz isn't of any immediate use to fellow
Texans regarding the plague or utility outages. The latter could
even make it an ideal time to vacation.
His bad political judgment regarding appearances doesn't matter
to me. That's merely a threat to his career. Big deal.

Obama travelled to Hawaii during 2 wars.
Was that reckless & immoral?

Suave

Simulated character
I'm the wrong person to ask in order to make the point you want.
I want to avoid all foreign travel all the time.

I see nothing wrong. Cruz isn't of any immediate use to fellow
Texans regarding the plague or utility outages. The latter could
even make it an ideal time to vacation.
His bad political judgment regarding appearances doesn't matter
to me. That's merely a threat to his career. Big deal.

Obama travelled to Hawaii during 2 wars.
Was that reckless & immoral?

Nearly ten years after Osama Bin Laden was killed and this manhunt was over, there are still U.S. troops now in Afghanistan. This seems reckless and immoral to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nearly ten years after Osama Bin Laden was killed and this manhunt was over, there are still U.S. troops now in Afghanistan. This seems reckless and immoral to me.
I'd rather that we'd never started those wars at all.
Bin Laden was an enemy....but not the problem.