• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meaning of the term "Left-hand Path"

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Okay, this is not intended to be a disrespectful question, even though it may come across that way. When I hear the term "Left-hand path," to me it means "Devil worshippers." It doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling. It actually scares the you-know-what out of me. Anyway, my question is simple:

Am I right? Does Left-hand Path mean Devil Worship or does it not?

Sireal

Setian
The LHP is the conscious attempt to preserve and strengthen one's isolate, psychecentric existence against the objective universe (OU) while apprehending, comprehending, and influencing a varying number of subjective universes (SU).

The RHP involves the conscious attempt to dissolve or merge the self with the objective universe. (Micheal A. Aquino excerpt fr. "Black Magic")
from the Setian forum.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The LHP is the conscious attempt to preserve and strengthen one's isolate, psychecentric existence against the objective universe (OU) while apprehending, comprehending, and influencing a varying number of subjective universes (SU).
Could you maybe dumb that down for me? ;)

Kori Houghton

Restricted
No, the Left Hand Path does not mean 'devil worship'.

You can start investigating the various definitions of LHP from this Wikipedia entry, which has been recently cleaned up a bit to remove sectarian bias:

Left-Hand Path and Right-Hand Path - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One thing I can tell you about my view of the Left Hand Path: no question that expresses a sincere desire to learn is taken as disrespectful. But the answer you receive is often not what you expected.

I agree with Sireal in his definition, which he offered from a Setian perspective. I will offer another.

The left hand path entails seeking power/acceptance from within, and becoming or embracing ones self as deity. It is the path of the earth, knowledge, base reality;doubt. Satanism in particular deals strictly in terms of the material.

The right hand path turns this on it's head, seeking power/acceptance from within. Deity in RHP terms is something 'out there', somewhere. It is the path of idealism, 'spirituality',faith,worship.

In an RHP religion you are always second to something greater than yourself, while in a LHP religion you are the godhead.

Kenaz

I Am
As to my knowledge, the Temple of Set doesn't profess that their personal usage of the term LHP and it's definition within the usage of it within the Temple must be accepted by others or is an absolute of any kind. Regardless, I'd find that a bit naive for anyone to do in any case. Each may use it in our own context. There are many different views of the LHP, it is a matter of semantics I'd argue. None more "right" nor for that matter "wrong" in my perspective on it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So does devil worship even fit into this general category at all? If not, where does it fit? Is it its own category? I don't see a category for it here on RF and pretty much everything else seems to be covered?

Good question. You can have two nearly identical belief systems involving a 'Satan' type figure, one being LHP and one not, separated only by how they relate to this external force.
One submits to it, one seeks personal empowerment through it.
I would qualify the former as maybe a dark paganism or maybe some sort of maltheism, I guess.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
So does devil worship even fit into this general category at all? If not, where does it fit? Is it its own category? I don't see a category for it here on RF and pretty much everything else seems to be covered?

I have only heard of one kind of "devil worship" that there should be caution with, and that is what I have read called "psuedo-satanism."

I read it to be described as a satanist who was a former christian, who was taught what satanism was by the church, and then when they rebel they embellish upon what they learned satanism was from their church. They worship the christian devil and work with how christians view satan and emulate how they see evil.

These people cause all sorts of problems for other, mature, satanists.

I could be wrong. I don't know as much about this as the others here I'm sure.

Other than that, everything is usually pretty cool.

Kenaz

I Am

Surely it could, and people who "worship" the Devil/Satan/Set, whether symbolically, literally, etc. are welcome. Although, I'd say from my personal observation; the vast majority that are on the "Left Hand Path" (and the definition of that is also subjective and personally prescribed) forum category do not.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Surely it could, and people who "worship" the Devil/Satan/Set, whether symbolically, literally, etc. are welcome. Although, I'd say from my personal observation; the vast majority that are on the "Left Hand Path" (and the definition of that is also subjective and personally prescribed) forum category do not.

I'm sure there is alot of "Devil Worshippers" here but I think most people just see themselves as the successor and use those entities as guidance. Many people do follow the Left Hand path (in vague terms) in many different ways. But I do think that we all have at least one thing in common. The value of philosophy and the appreciation of those who are willing to help understand new concepts.

Orias

Left Hand Path
The term devil I think is actually improper...and so is the term worship. I believe that most people here follow the knowledge and guidelines of the Accuser, Advesary, Opposition, etc. But under some parts there is actual worshipping and ritualizing, which does fit under this category, as they involve the use of lesser and greater magics.

Luminakisharblaze

Doyamo Luminachi
Ok, so this raises a question of my own. What do you call someone who does not worship, but is a part of the Divine Collective and not from this Universe, but the Divine Universe which wraps this universe and exists outside of time?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Those following a RHP seek atonement with the natural ordering of the Universe
Followers of the LHP seek to detach from this natural ordering

Keeping in mind that these are Westernized terms that we are discussing, for the Hindu Tantric practice of Vamachara is quite old and translates to "Left-Hand Path" but this LHP is really what we would understand as a RHP for it seeks integration with the Natural World.

Luminakisharblaze

Doyamo Luminachi
Well I seek nothing. I balance what is out of balance. Specifically I balance apathy and pain. It is not a religion or following. It is just what I have always done. I have also been to the Abyss several times. (I even have my own private entrance. I have a 'twin' sister who is the highest ranking demoness there is.) So maybe I am NHP (no handed path) or DHP (Dual handed path)

Orias

Left Hand Path
Well I seek nothing. I balance what is out of balance. Specifically I balance apathy and pain. It is not a religion or following. It is just what I have always done. I have also been to the Abyss several times. (I even have my own private entrance. I have a 'twin' sister who is the highest ranking demoness there is.) So maybe I am NHP (no handed path) or DHP (Dual handed path)

Uhh...quit fantastical, but I like it. Can I join =D I am a demon. Even though I have to disagree with you about you seeking nothing. Why are you here if you seek nothing?