1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meaning of the Pentagram and other stars

Discussion in 'Wicca DIR' started by silvermoon383, Apr 2, 2006.

1. silvermoon383

silvermoon383 Well-Known Member

An old friend of mine was Wiccan and I read a number of books on it and would ask all sorts of questions. One thing I never got to ask about was the meaning of the other stars (other than the pentagram which one of the books I read explained it pretty well).

I learned about the other stars (in particular the 7 and 12 point stars) from another Wiccan friend, but again, I never got to ask.

OK, I admit that my memory about the pentagram isn't too good either. I remember that the 5 arms represent each of the elements (earth (green), fire (red), wind (can't remember its color), water (blue), and spirit (white, and I know it has a proper name, I just can't remember it)). Does the center of it mean anything?

And what meaning is there (if any) behind the 7 and 12 point stars?

2. Nehustan

Nehustan New Member

I keep posting this geometric explanation of the pentagram with Jahweh (IHVH) being combined with the spirit. It is often cited that the four letters of the word Jahweh (IHVH) correspond to the four 'elements' with which our creation was formed.

[​IMG]

Ruach Elohim
    = 300 = [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thus the actual name of 'Jesus' (Jeheshuah) has the meaning of one who reconciles with Eloah through the spirit.​

In the thread I consider geometry, numbers and specifically the number 5/pentagram/hamza.​

3. Draka

Draka Cylon Skin Job

Religion:
    Spiritual
    Obtained from I don't quite remember where...but it's in my info in my EBOS:

Five Pointed Star - Pentagram

The five pointed star, a Sumerian symbol for Venus, originates in the astronomical observation by these ancients of the movement of the planet through the seasons. In Pythagorean mysticism the pentagram stands for the human being (a figure with arms and legs outstretched). Pythagoreans used the symbol as a wish for good health.

Encircled Five Pointed Star - Pentacle

The points of the pentacle refer to the four material elements - earth, air, fire, and water, with the fifth, spirit, ascending out of their materiality. This is the quintessential human potential -to be able to transcend materiality through materiality. This is a powerful occult magical sign of protection. The pentacle is also an icon for man within the circle of the Divine. The circle itself usually symbolizing the eternal life of the Divine, a never ending loop. The pentacle is a widely recognized symbol for witchcraft, magick and sorcery.

Seven Pointed Star - Heptagram

The 7 pointed star is a heptagram, a familiar motif during Hellenistic times when the 7 day week was first adopted. Each point refers to a day of the week and a celestial body, starting clockwise with Sunday at the top point, then, the Sun, the Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn. Seven is a dynamic number of magickal significance in most cultures.

Eight Pointed Star - Octogram

The 8 pointed star is a Gnostic symbol, known as the octagram of creation. It is related to Venus, and also sacred to Ishtar. In Nordic traditions the octagram is used to invoke magick and also as a protecting ideogram. Chaospheres have 8 points - order 90 degrees and chaos 45 degrees

8 Points formed by two squares

This is the traditional Star of Ishtar. Composed of two intertwined squares, this is a symbol of regeneration. It is a symbol for the natural universe interweaving order and disorder, yin and yang, to create an ultimately harmonious and balanced design.

Twelve Pointed Stars

12 Pointed Stars are found cross culturally and can refer to the 12 Disciples, the 12 Knights of the Celtic Round Table, the 12 Signs of the Zodiac, the 12 lictors of Romulus, the 12 Peers of France and even the 12 Namshans of the Round Council of the Dalai Lama.

4. michel

michel Administrator Emeritus Staff Member

Very good descriptions; if anyone is interested, this :- http://altreligion.about.com/library/weekly/aa100102a.htm

Is an excellent thorough insight in how petagrams first came about. I would have copied some of the text, but the author has put a restriction on doing so.

Well worth a read, IMO.:)

5. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Living Dead Girl

Religion:
    Ask me when I'm dead.
    Draka did explain it pretty good.
    The color is yellow.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted