• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meaning of Jesus being called Messiah.

Skywalker

Christians call him the Messiah because they believe he died for the worlds sins to redeem it (main reason for title) and will return to bring world peace and defeat evil. In Judaism (except for Messianics) the Messiah is viewed not as a divine redeemer-but as a political figure who will come and bring peace in the world and rule during the Messianic Age-which I'd say is somewhere in between Christianity and Islam because they reject his divinity but their beliefs come from bibical sayings about a messiah.

But what is the meaning of Jesus being the Messiah in Islam, if the concept of redemption and atonement isnt there? Does it refer to his role in the end times?

Sakeenah

hi,

As Muslims we belief that jesus was chosen as a prophet and messenger and called messiah by God

(Remember) when the angels said: ‘O Maryam (Mary)! Verily, Allaah gives you the glad tidings of a Word [“Be!” — and he was! i.e. ‘Eesa (Jesus) the son of Maryam (Mary)] from Him, his name will be the Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), the son of Maryam (Mary), held in honour in this world and in the Hereafter, and will be one of those who are near to Allaah.

He will speak to the people, in the cradle and in manhood, and he will be one of the righteous.’

She said: ‘O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me.’ He said: ‘So (it will be) for Allaah creates what He wills. When He has decreed something, He says to it only: “Be!” and it is’” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:45-47]

“And He (Allaah) will teach him [‘Eesa (Jesus)] the Book and Al-Hikmah (i.e. the Sunnah, the faultless speech of the Prophets, wisdom), (and) the Tawraat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel).

And will make him [‘Eesa (Jesus)] a Messenger to the Children of Israel (saying): ‘I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, that I design for you out of clay, a figure like that of a bird, and breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by Allaah’s Leave; and I heal him who was born blind, and the leper, and I bring the dead to life by Allaah’s Leave. And I inform you of what you eat, and what you store in your houses. Surely, therein is a sign for you, if you believe.

And I have come confirming that which was before me of the Tawraat (Torah), and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden to you, and I have come to you with a proof from your Lord. So fear Allaah and obey me.

Truly, Allaah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him (Alone). This is the Straight Path’”[Aal ‘Imraan 3:48-51]

We do not belief that jesus peace be upon him was killed but he was raised to the heavens and he will descend before the end of times . He will establish justice and bring peace and he will rule with the divine law. There will be descent of blessings and the spread of goodness because of justice and the absence of oppression or wrongdoing.

in a saying of the prophet peace be upon him:

Al-Bukhaari (2222) and Muslim (155) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, soon the son of Maryam will descend among you [according to another report: the Hour will not begin until the son of Maryam descends among you] as a just judge.

He jesus peace be upon him will rule as long God wants it.

in a saying of the messenger peace be upon him:
Ahmad (9349) narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I am the closest of people to ‘Eesa ibn Maryam because there was no Prophet between him and me…” Then he mentioned his descent at the end of time. Then he said: “And he will remain for as long as Allaah wills he should remain, then he will die and the Muslims will offer the funeral prayer for him and bury him.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah (2182).

We believe that he will disavow himself on the Day of Resurrection of the claims that he was a god.

Skywalker

hi,

As Muslims we belief that jesus was chosen as a prophet and messenger and called messiah by God

(Remember) when the angels said: ‘O Maryam (Mary)! Verily, Allaah gives you the glad tidings of a Word [“Be!” — and he was! i.e. ‘Eesa (Jesus) the son of Maryam (Mary)] from Him, his name will be the Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), the son of Maryam (Mary), held in honour in this world and in the Hereafter, and will be one of those who are near to Allaah.

He will speak to the people, in the cradle and in manhood, and he will be one of the righteous.’

She said: ‘O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me.’ He said: ‘So (it will be) for Allaah creates what He wills. When He has decreed something, He says to it only: “Be!” and it is’” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:45-47]

“And He (Allaah) will teach him [‘Eesa (Jesus)] the Book and Al-Hikmah (i.e. the Sunnah, the faultless speech of the Prophets, wisdom), (and) the Tawraat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel).

And will make him [‘Eesa (Jesus)] a Messenger to the Children of Israel (saying): ‘I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, that I design for you out of clay, a figure like that of a bird, and breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by Allaah’s Leave; and I heal him who was born blind, and the leper, and I bring the dead to life by Allaah’s Leave. And I inform you of what you eat, and what you store in your houses. Surely, therein is a sign for you, if you believe.

And I have come confirming that which was before me of the Tawraat (Torah), and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden to you, and I have come to you with a proof from your Lord. So fear Allaah and obey me.

Truly, Allaah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him (Alone). This is the Straight Path’”[Aal ‘Imraan 3:48-51]

We do not belief that jesus peace be upon him was killed but he was raised to the heavens and he will descend before the end of times . He will establish justice and bring peace and he will rule with the divine law. There will be descent of blessings and the spread of goodness because of justice and the absence of oppression or wrongdoing.

Al-Bukhaari (2222) and Muslim (155) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, soon the son of Maryam will descend among you [according to another report: the Hour will not begin until the son of Maryam descends among you] as a just judge.

Ahmad (9349) narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I am the closest of people to ‘Eesa ibn Maryam because there was no Prophet between him and me…” Then he mentioned his descent at the end of time. Then he said: “And he will remain for as long as Allaah wills he should remain, then he will die and the Muslims will offer the funeral prayer for him and bury him.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah (2182).

We believe that he will disavow himself on the Day of Resurrection of the claims that he was a god.

But if he doesnt save anybody from sin in Islamic theology, what does the title of Messiah mean? Does it refer to his actions in the end times?

Skywalker

hi,

Is that verse referring to Jesus being a political leader? I thought the Messiah being a political figure was more of a Jewish, not an Islamic, concept.

Sakeenah

We belief Jesus peace be upon him will come back to complete his life and work.
He will rule with the law of God which will be the law which the prophet Muhammad peace be upon him was sent with. I think Jews belief that the messiah will rule with the law of moses

Last edited:

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Christians call him the Messiah because they believe he died for the worlds sins to redeem it (main reason for title)..
Peace be on you.
Answers From Ahmadiyya-Muslim understandings:

But, respectfully saying, Bible does not say so.
Verses from Bible @ Breaking News: Jesus Did Not Die for Our Sins | The Muslim Times
wwwDOTthemuslimtimesDOTorg/2014/02/religion/christianity/breaking-news-jesus-did-not-die-for-our-sins

and will return to bring world peace and defeat evil. ............./.
Jesus (on whom be peace) has taught a great lesson about second coming when he
said John the Baptist is the Elijah.

Malachi 4.5
Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the Lord.

Matthw 11.14
And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come.

Thus when second coming of Jesus is mentioned, it is not in person. Someone in his properties, as Ahmadiyya-Muslims understand. Such metaphors are mentioned in religion.
Example from Holy Quran:

[ch48:v11] Verily, those who swear allegiance to thee indeed swear allegiance to Allah. The hand of Allah is over their hands. So whoever breaks his oath, breaks it to his own loss; and whoever fulfils the covenant that he has made with Allah, He will surely give him a great reward.

Not only Christians, but major religions are waiting for coming of a reformer in latter days.

""All major religions promise the advent of a Divine personage who would usher in a new era of hope for mankind and unite them under one Divine flag. This is the promised land which one day they all aspire to reach, govern and command. This is utopia, the meeting point of the hopes of all religions and this too, alas, becomes the parting of their ways. Only the dreams are shared but not their realization. They are unanimous in their belief that one Divine personage will certainly come as the saviour of the human race, but when it comes to his identity they could not disagree more with each other. Will he be Lord Krishna or Jesus Christ? Will he be Zoroaster or Buddha, or Confucius or Lao-tzu for that matter? Each is expecting a different person, under a different name and title; each is expecting him to belong exclusively to their own religious order......."
Ahmadiyya Muslim Source: Future of Revelation
wwwDOTalislamDOTorg/library/books/revelation/part_7_section_1.html

But what is the meaning of Jesus being the Messiah in Islam, if the concept of redemption and atonement isnt there? Does it refer to his role in the end times?

From Ahmadiyya-Muslim understandings:

A- Messiah
"" ....Likewise on page 461 of Lisan-ul-Arab it is stated: 'Jesus was named the 'Messiah', because he wandered about, and because he did not stay at one place.' The same is recorded in Tajul-Urus Sharah Qamus. There it is also stated that the Messiah is he who is given goodness and blessings i.e., he is given these qualities in such measure that even his touch is blessed; and that this name was given to Jesus, for God gives this name to whomsoever He pleases. As against this, there is another Messiah, whose touch was evil and accursed, i.e., his nature was composed of a curse and evil, so much so, that his touch gave rise to the darkness of evil and that of a curse. This name was given to the Messiah who is the Dajjal and to all those who are like him. The two names, moreover, i.e., Messiah the Traveller, and Messiah the Blessed, are not antagonistic to each other. One does not invalidate the other. For, it is a divine practice that God names a man in more than one way and that all such names apply to him......""
Source: Jesus in India
wwwDOTalislamDOTorg/library/books/jesus-in-india/ch4.html

=======================================================

C- Yuz Asaf
"" ....It is stated during his journey Jesus travelled incognito under the name of Yuz Asaf, the word Yuz stands for Yusu (meaning Jesus) and Asaf in Hebrew means gatherer, namely, one who was to collect the lost sheep of Israel.

Next we hear of Jesus in Iran. It is said that Yuz Asaf came to this country from the West and preached there and many believed him. The sayings of Yuz Asaf as recorded in Iranian traditions are similar to those of Jesus. (Agha Mustafai, Ahwali Ahalian-i-Para, 219).

We can then trace Jesus in Afghanistan: In Ghazni (Western Afghanistan) and in Jalabad (in the extreme south-east of Afghanistan) there are two platforms which bear the name of Yuz Asaf, for he sat and preached there.

We then find a quotation from Acta Thomae which records the presence of Jesus and Thomas at Taxila, in present day Pakistan.

Jesus, his mother Mary, and Thomas proceeded towards Murree also in Pakistan. Mary died there and was buried at a hill top known as Pindi-Point. The town Murree was until 1875 called Mari and, was named after her. Her tomb adjoining the Defense Tower is even today called: Mai Mari da Asthan - the resting place of Mother Mary.

We can almost with certainty trace the entry of Jesus into Kashmir through a valley called Yusu Margh, which is named after him and where the race of Yudu (Jews) is still to be found. It lies on the bridle route followed by merchants coming, generally on foot, from Kaghan and Afghanistan. The Kaghan valley on one side touches Kashmir and on the other the Murree hills. Aish Muqam (about 47 miles from Srinagar) is not far from Yusu Margh. In fact it lies on the same route. Aish or Ashush is a perversion of Issa (Jesus).

There is another significant fact which, more than anything else, proves that Jesus did come to Kashmir. I give below a few names known to Kashmir history and geography:

• Aish Muqam
    Arya-Issa
    Issa-Brar
    Issa-eil
    Issa Kush
    Issa Mati
    J-yes-Issa
    J-yes-Issa-vara
    Kal-Issa
    Ram-Issa
    Yusu-dha
    Yusu-dhara
    Yusu-gam
    Yusu-hatpura
    Yusu-kun
    Yusu-maidan
    Yusus-mangala
    Yusu-marg
    Yusu-nag
    Yusu-para
    Yusu-raja
    Yusu
    Yusu Varman .....""

• wwwDOTalislamDOTorg/library/links/00000094.html
Good wishes

Last edited:

Khudayar

hi,

Salam, sister Muslima in Black. It is nice to see your eagerness in teaching the Islamic faith. But, if I may, a humble suggestion for you sister. Please focus on the questions. You talked about everything you know about Isa/Jesus (pbuh) except for the title Masih/Messiah which was the original question of brother skywalker. And in this case, it does not help at all. Also, please avoid the terms like "As Muslims, we believe.." etcetera. Because, then, you are limiting the views of all the Islamic Ummah to your viewpoints only. Thank you for your understanding.

What is the meaning of Jesus being the Messiah in Islam, if the concept of redemption and atonement isnt there? Does it refer to his role in the end times?

Salam, brother skywalker. The Arabic term for Messiah is "al-Masih". And it comes from the root "M(A)SH" (to wipe, to touch, to pat, etc.) Thus, al-Masih (the Messiah) means, the one touching. And this title was chosen for Him by the ancient (pre-Muhammadan) Arabic people because Jesus, the Messiah 1-) healed the sick by touching 2-) touched (interpreted) the Torah 3-) (thus, by abolishing the srtict rules) patted-relieved the believers (from hardships) 4-) etc.

And it may sound a bit silly but to me, if you watch the Iranian TV Series, Lady Mary here: Saint Mary - the TV Series - iFilm English you'll know how much alike are this term and many other things between Christianity and Islam. Please bother to see at least the first two episodes. You won't regret it. Blessings my friend.

Last edited:

Sakeenah

Salam, sister Muslima in Black. It is nice to see your eagerness in teaching the Islamic faith. But, if I may, a humble suggestion for you sister. Please focus on the questions. You talked about everything you know about Isa/Jesus (pbuh) except for the title Masih/Messiah which was the original question of brother skywalker. And in this case, it does not help at all. Also, please avoid the terms like "As Muslims, we believe.." etcetera. Because, then, you are limiting the views of all the Islamic Ummah to your viewpoints only. Thank you for your understanding.

Salam, brother skywalker. The Arabic term for Messiah is "al-Masih". And it comes from the root "M(A)SH" (to wipe, to touch, to pat, etc.) Thus, al-Masih (the Messiah) means, the one touching. And this title was chosen for Him by the ancient (pre-Muhammadan) Arabic people because Jesus, the Messiah 1-) healed the sick by touching 2-) touched (interpreted) the Torah 3-) (thus, by abolishing the srtict rules) patted-relieved the believers (from hardships) 4-) etc.

And it may sound a bit silly but to me, if you watch the Iranian TV Series, Lady Mary here: Saint Mary - the TV Series - iFilm English you'll know how much alike are this term and many other things between Christianity and Islam. Please bother to see at least the first two episodes. You won't regret it. Blessings my friend.

Barakalahu feeka for your advise I appreciate it..what I post is not something 'I think'..but its what ive looked up..opinions of uluma who follow the Qur'an and sunnah . but I don't copy and paste the entire daliil because it's too much so I try to summarize it ..maybe I should post the daleel and source next time insha allah
But I'll refrain from saying 'as Muslims we belief'

Jazakalahu khairan