• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McDonald's workers sue over facing daily risk of violence at work

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
McDonald's lawsuit: Chicago workers file suit over violent incidents

Weeks after McDonald's fired former CEO Steve Easterbrook for having a relationship with an employee, 17 Chicago-area workers are suing the fast-food giant over what they call a "citywide and nationwide pattern” of violence.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in Illinois state court claims corporate officials have chosen profit over workers' safety, alleging that employees “face a daily risk of violence while at work” and McDonald’s has been “negligent in failing to protect workers from this risk.”

The suit points to high rates of 911 calls from Chicago McDonald’s restaurants with more than 20 calls a day.

"The plaintiffs are pursuing this case to address the systemic problem of violence affecting them and their co-workers every day,'' Danny Rosenthal, the lead attorney in the lawsuit, said in a call announcing the lawsuit Thursday.

Incidents include a customer jumping over a counter and pulling a gun on workers, a customer beating a worker in the head with a wet floor sign, and a customer urinating on a worker.

McDonald's claims that their training program includes guidance on how to mitigate workplace violence and that they take workplace safety very seriously, although some employees disagree.

Acuna said that police found a dead body in her store's bathroom.

“McDonald’s never provided any safety training or offered any support for the trauma I’ve suffered," she said in a press release. "We shouldn’t have to put ourselves in harm’s way just to support our families. That’s why we’re suing McDonald’s today – because it’s life or death for us.”

Part of the complaint has to do with the new counter design which allows easy access to the work areas.

“The plaintiffs' experiences of violence can be traced back to decisions made at the highest levels of the corporation,'' he said, noting a split counter format dubbed “Experience of the Future” that allows customers to easily access the kitchen and work area at many locations.

"McDonald's has utterly failed to design stores that minimize the chance for violence,'' Rosenthal said, adding that conversions to the new counter format should stop until security concerns are addressed. "McDonald's has failed to provide even basic training that would help workers minimize conflict or respond appropriately when it occurs.''

I guess what they'll need to do is install security barriers and bulletproof glass, like they have in banks.

I don't know what it is about fast food, but there have been hundreds of incidents over the past three years, according to the article:

The report asserted that McDonald’s long hours of operations "put thousands of workers at risk due to the high levels of violence associated with late-night retail" and found more than 720 violent incidents were covered by news media in a three-year period.

McDonald's isn't the only fast-food chain with violent incidents.

Earlier this month, two Maryland men got into a fight over a Popeyes chicken sandwich and one of them was stabbed to death.

In any case, I hope these workers get their due. Employers have a responsibility to make sure their employees are safe.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To "make sure" of safety is impossible.
One can only do what is reasonable.
Fast food work is one of the safest jobs.
The problem here....working any job in Chicago.

Well, at the very least, they should be aware of which stores are in high-risk areas. They should know which locations have had the most incidents and take reasonable action (such as better controlled access to the work areas). Perhaps hiring armed security guards might also be a reasonable measure.

At some McDonald's, they lock the bathrooms.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Incidents include a customer jumping over a counter and pulling a gun on workers, a customer beating a worker in the head with a wet floor sign, and a customer urinating on a worker.

McDonald's claims that their training program includes guidance on how to mitigate workplace violence and that they take workplace safety very seriously, although some employees disagree.

Part of the complaint has to do with the new counter design which allows easy access to the work areas.

I guess what they'll need to do is install security barriers and bulletproof glass, like they have in banks.

I don't know what it is about fast food, but there have been hundreds of incidents over the past three years, according to the article:

In any case, I hope these workers get their due. Employers have a responsibility to make sure their employees are safe.
Their employers could make them "safe" by firing them.

Of course, then in our litigious country they'd just find a barely employed lawyer to file yet another lawsuit.
Tom

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Their employers could make them "safe" by firing them.

Of course, then in our litigious country they'd just find a barely employed lawyer to file yet another lawsuit.
Tom

Well, there are still some things they could do, such as better securing the counter and controlling access to the work areas. Perhaps they could employ a security guard, which is relatively common in grocery stores, banks, or convenience stores in high risk areas.

Shad

Veteran Member

This is a Chicago problem not a McD problem. Banks do not even have screens and bulletproof glass up here. That is because Canada isn't a crime ridden hell hole.

Next!