• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe religion/ religious people

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Is there to little respect from spiritual people towa4d those who are not spiritual or religious? How can we fix it?

I think that atheists, or some atheists, and us religious people could have gotten off to a bad start at some point. And I, for one, would like to be the one to initiate an apology.

I'm sorry. I think I get a little too wrapped up in debates sometimes, and get a little us vs. them. It really doesn't matter who started it. And I find some threads difficult. Some threads are just about doomed just from the start of the OP. So it may be a very slow process, but I'd like to try to set aside differences and work toward a more mutual understanding and in a (hopefully) adult way between the two of us.

Justanatheist

Is there to little respect from spiritual people towa4d those who are not spiritual or religious? How can we fix it?
Well from a personal point of view in the UK I grew up in, religion was mostly such a gentle thing, so when I see views being imported from the US and going on in my backyard I am going to try to stop it.

RestlessSoul

That is what God or Allah say. It is OK to kill at times but no such leeway to non-believers.

"Thou shalt not kill" is pretty unequivocal, I'd have thought. Granted, followers of the Abrahamic Faiths have gone to all sort of lengths to qualify this commandment, but there is no qualification in the source (Exodus 20:13).

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The hate speech amazes me, homophobia, racism, misogyny but as long as it is couched in religion I am supposed to "respect" their beliefs. This forum has made me much more militant, off to protest at a creationist event near me today, I would never of done that six weeks a go. But these people need to be held to account.
Well this forum might be like an extended family that often has issues between members but at least they are all (mostly) still talking with each other, unlike my real family (money issues). :oops:

Justanatheist

"Thou shalt not kill" is pretty unequivocal, I'd have thought. Granted, followers of the Abrahamic Faiths have gone to all sort of lengths to qualify this commandment, but there is no qualification in the source (Exodus 20:13).
But you see that is what I do not get, the ones most likely to try to qualify "Thou shalt not kill" are also the ones most likely to take literally Genesis for example.

RestlessSoul

Well this forum might be like an extended family that often has issues between members but at least they are all (mostly) still talking with each other, unlike my real family (money issues). :oops:

Money eh? That's what causes most of the world's problems imo. I'm sorry to hear that btw.

Shakeel

Religions don't harm atheists. Religious people might and atheists need to learn the difference.

Isn't it a never ending complaint: "I left my religion because my parents/friends/teachers/whoever abused me and so I knew all religions were false."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Religions don't harm atheists. Religious people might and atheists need to learn the difference.

Isn't it a never ending complaint: "I left my religion because my parents/friends/teachers/whoever abused me and so I knew all religions were false."
Abuse is never ok, from religious family or not. Unfortunatly it happens every day

Justanatheist

Sorry to hear about you family, hope it resolves itself soon.
I can tell you that there are views expressed here I would not tolerate in the "real" world.

Justanatheist

No I have never heard or seen written the above by any atheist, I have seen many religious people pretending atheists say that, then arguing against the strawman they created.

And I do not buy the religions do not harm people either, the religious texts teach hate and the followers carry it out.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
One of the problem is that atheism in fact is a limited descriptive term. All I can say as an atheist is that I lack a positive belief in gods. Yet you can find atheists, who e.g. claim that we know that the world is physical and but in effect they as individuals or a limited group don't speak for humanity as a we nor do they speak for all atheists. Nor do I speak for all atheists, but I don't claim that.

As I am an atheist, I also do in effect some version of Pyrrhonism.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One of the problem is that atheism in fact is a limited descriptive term. All I can say as an atheist is that I lack a positive belief in gods. Yet you can find atheists, who e.g. claim that we know that the world is physical and but in effect they as individuals or a limited group don't speak for humanity as a we nor do they speak for all atheists. Nor do I speak for all atheists, but I don't claim that.

As I am an atheist, I also do in effect some version of Pyrrhonism.
Maybe the word atheist is a wrong word to use ?