• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

May I Have Your Attention, Please?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Will the REAL Slim Shady please stand up?

Over the past few hundred years (perhaps longer), many have claimed to be, or have been touted by others to be, the Second Coming™ of Jesus Christ.

List of people claimed to be Jesus - Wikipedia

Granted, most, or more likely all, of the people mentioned in the article were false messiahs. But how do your feel the world would react if a nondescript person (perhaps a carpenter?) proclaimed themselves to be the Second Coming™?

More specifically for Christians: I'm especially curious of how you would react personally. Many Christians tell me that one has to have faith. They have to believe. Their faith requires them to do so with no empirical evidence. Would you be skeptical of such a person and require some evidence, or would your faith take the front seat and lead you to follow this person without any proof whatsoever that s/he is actually who s/he claims to be?

I personally feel that such person would be shunned by by society (yes, even by Christians) and labeled insane.

Who gets to make the final decision on the person who claims to be the Second Coming™ is legit?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
According to an interpretation of Revelations the Christian 2nd coming only the chosen will recognize the messiah. They are few. The rest will go through revelations and either become followers or be cast outs. This means you are probably right most would see the messiah and the followers as an insane cult yet every Christian believes they will know the messiah.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I am still skeptical there was a first coming of Christ. How about we prove that one first then move on to the possibility of a second.

It is entirely plausible that Jesus existed. What I'm skeptical of is his divinity.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Well, the one who destroys the Earth with fire and resurrects all the dead people will be the real Messiah at the second coming.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, the one who destroys the Earth with fire and resurrects all the dead people will be the real Messiah at the second coming.

So you'll be waiting for this evidence prior to following this one?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
So you'll be waiting for this evidence prior to following this one?

There's enough evidence for the Jesus of the Bible, to follow him. Makes perfect sense actually, with a little mystery about the big picture, or the grand scheme of things.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
According to an interpretation of Revelations the Christian 2nd coming only the chosen will recognize the messiah. They are few. The rest will go through revelations and either become followers or be cast outs. This means you are probably right most would see the messiah and the followers as an insane cult yet every Christian believes they will know the messiah.

So you're saying the messiah chooses the chosen? I'm reminded of the story of the boy that cried wolf. Christians will become so jaded from seeing so many false messiahs that when the real one comes along, s/he will likely be dismissed as all of the others (except the first one).

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
An important thing about Jesus is that he isn't here. He has left for a reason. Its a good reason and a good thing that he is not here.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There's enough evidence for the Jesus of the Bible, to follow him. Makes perfect sense actually, with a little mystery about the big picture, or the grand scheme of things.

Evidence in the Bible? I've read the Bible and have seen no evidence. Please explain what I missed.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
An important thing about Jesus is that he isn't here. He has left for a reason. Its a good reason and a good thing that he is not here.

Do you mean not here on the forum or not here on Earth?

What do you think the reason is (in either case)?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Do you mean not here on the forum or not here on Earth?

What do you think the reason is (in either case)?
I will not venture a guess, but he's not returning until all of his goals have been accomplished, at which point he will return his authority to God and stand among equals -- or at least that is what one or more NT writers seem to think. Part of the charm of his ministry is that he is not here. It is unthinkable for him to be here before everything is done, and when he is here he will be among equals not lesser beings, no longer the vine and we the branches, no longer the author and the finisher of our faith, no longer the teacher or the leader or the master. No more 'King Jesus' at that time, and for him to return here and reign like a king would be evil, disastrous, insane, a complete reversal of what he stands for.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Evidence in the Bible? I've read the Bible and have seen no evidence. Please explain what I missed.

It's all in how you look at it. Intentionally amibiguous, so that some will get it and some won't. Apparently you're not meant to get it just yet.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I will not venture a guess, but he's not returning until all of his goals have been accomplished, at which point he will return his authority to God and stand among equals -- or at least that is what one or more NT writers seem to think. Part of the charm of his ministry is that he is not here. It is unthinkable for him to be here before everything is done, and when he is here he will be among equals not lesser beings, no longer the vine and we the branches, no longer the author and the finisher of our faith, no longer the teacher or the leader or the master. No more 'King Jesus' at that time, and for him to return here and reign like a king would be evil, disastrous, insane, a complete reversal of what he stands for.

Interesting. I had never heard of Jesus returning as an equal to man. Is this mentioned in Scripture (I don't remember reading this) or is this your personal belief?

You've also piqued my curiosity. In order to be equal according to Christian belief, man would have to become enlightened or arrive at some sort of revelation in order to be equal to Jesus (even before his divinity). Either that or Jesus would have to devolve from what he had become. How do you view this arrival of equilibrium?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It's all in how you look at it. Intentionally amibiguous, so that some will get it and some won't. Apparently you're not meant to get it just yet.

Some people don't get the jokes I tell. I explain it to them if I'm in the mood to be amiable. I don't if I'm feeling a bit vexatious.

Are Christians sworn to not reveal their secrets to non-Christians? Is this why no Christian has helped me to "get it"? If this is the case, it kinda negates the purpose of proselytizing, no?

Or are Christians supposed to be vexatious by nature?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. I had never heard of Jesus returning as an equal to man. Is this mentioned in Scripture (I don't remember reading this) or is this your personal belief?

You've also piqued my curiosity. In order to be equal according to Christian belief, man would have to become enlightened or arrive at some sort of revelation in order to be equal to Jesus (even before his divinity). Either that or Jesus would have to devolve from what he had become. How do you view this arrival of equilibrium?
I will let some other people reply for a while. Its not something I want to debate, so I'm leaving scripture out of my reply. There's absolutely zero percent chance (I think) that Jesus will return before his goals are accomplished or that he will return in charge of us. He's in charge while he's in heaven only.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I will let some other people reply for a while. Its not something I want to debate, so I'm leaving scripture out of my reply. There's absolutely zero percent chance (I think) that Jesus will return before his goals are accomplished or that he will return in charge of us. He's in charge while he's in heaven only.

No worries.

For the record, it was not my intention to debate Scripture with you. I was more interested in knowing if your response was a personal belief or something I may have misinterpreted in Scripture, and if the former, what led you to believe as such.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
No worries.

For the record, it was not my intention to debate Scripture with you. I was more interested in knowing if your response was a personal belief or something I may have misinterpreted in Scripture, and if the former, what led you to believe as such.
Thanks! Best wishes.

allfoak

Alchemist
Will the REAL Slim Shady please stand up?

Over the past few hundred years (perhaps longer), many have claimed to be, or have been touted to be by others to be, the Second Coming™ of Jesus Christ.

List of people claimed to be Jesus - Wikipedia

Granted, most, or more likely all, of the people mentioned in the article were false messiahs. But how do your feel the world would react if a nondescript person (perhaps a carpenter?) proclaimed themselves to be the Second Coming™?
More specifically for Christians: I'm especially curious of how you would react personally. Many Christians tell me that one has to have faith. They have to believe. Their faith requires them to do so with no empirical evidence. Would you be skeptical of such a person and require some evidence, or would your faith take the front seat and lead you to follow this person without any proof whatsoever that s/he is actually who s/he claims to be?

I personally feel that such person would be shunned by by society (yes, even by Christians) and labeled insane.

Who gets to make the final decision on the person who claims to be the Second Coming™ is legit?

What are your thoughts?

It happens everyday.
You tube is full of people claiming to be the second coming.