• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

May I Ask, What Religion Are You?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
So are you saying that these precious scrolls are filled with myths, as if what Moses wrote in many instances is not true? Do you remember how sacred those scrolls were throughout the centuries to God, such as when David wanted to bring the Ark to Jerusalem? You can read it at 1 Chronicles 13. It's very interesting and I'm glad you reminded me of this incident.
Myths are not lies. They do not pretend to be historical, and they teach us important underlying values.

Let me give you an analogy. Jesus taught in parables. These parables are a form of fiction -- they are not historical. But each of Jesus parables teaches things. Far from being excluded because they are fiction, the psychological pull of these stories makes them ideal for teaching.

Now let's look at Genesis 2-3, the Garden of Eden. No such literal place existed. Adam and Eve are wonderful characters in a creation myth. This myth teaches us things, such as that humanity has become morally sentient, but our consciences are sometimes at odds with our animal instincts, and this has made us out of harmony with ourselves, with nature, and with God. It's a superb, superb teaching story. The fact that it is told in this fictitious form makes it much more powerful than prose. There is something about mythic archetypes that slips past our mental filters, making myth one of the most powerful form of literature we know of.

If you still think of myth as "false," then I suggest you read Tolkien's essay, "On Fairy Stories." It is the standing classic on this topic, and it is available online to read for free.
https://coolcalvary.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/on-fairy-stories1.pdf

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

OK, you and others can believe that if you want to or think it's the right way to look at it. Not all do. And of course that puts in question the transmission of the scrolls throughout Jewish history, as if they were not properly or accurately transmitted.
Oh, I'm aware that there is dispute on this matter.

I don't think of the fact that there were earlier versions that were edited as not being properly transmitted. I view that as PART of the process of the formation of the Torah.

IndigoChild5559

To me, it's like God made the mechanisms and allows circumstances right now. I believe God created the heavens and the earth in the beginning as it says in Genesis.
He made the various kinds, as described in the Bible. To say that is not true is virtually negating the Scriptures as many people do by saying the Jews or Hebrews or Moses in the Bible is manufactured by whomever throughout the centuries. Live and learn. :)
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." (Genesis 1)
The mistake you are making is misinterpretation of genre. The point being that Genesis 1 is not a science book or history book. It is a myth. Once you recognize this fact, then you can relax and accept the scientific discovery of the evolution process, the Big Bang, etc. Sure God created the universe, but it is science that tells us how he did it. Trust me when I say it is a great relief when you can finally acknowledge what all the evidence shows.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The mistake you are making is misinterpretation of genre. The point being that Genesis 1 is not a science book or history book. It is a myth. Once you recognize this fact, then you can relax and accept the scientific discovery of the evolution process, the Big Bang, etc. Sure God created the universe, but it is science that tells us how he did it. Trust me when I say it is a great relief when you can finally acknowledge what all the evidence shows.
ok, so you are carrying around in books and reverential treatment myths and teaching that as truth, as many in other religions do also.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Myths are not lies. They do not pretend to be historical, and they teach us important underlying values.

Let me give you an analogy. Jesus taught in parables. These parables are a form of fiction -- they are not historical. But each of Jesus parables teaches things. Far from being excluded because they are fiction, the psychological pull of these stories makes them ideal for teaching.

Now let's look at Genesis 2-3, the Garden of Eden. No such literal place existed. Adam and Eve are wonderful characters in a creation myth. This myth teaches us things, such as that humanity has become morally sentient, but our consciences are sometimes at odds with our animal instincts, and this has made us out of harmony with ourselves, with nature, and with God. It's a superb, superb teaching story. The fact that it is told in this fictitious form makes it much more powerful than prose. There is something about mythic archetypes that slips past our mental filters, making myth one of the most powerful form of literature we know of.

If you still think of myth as "false," then I suggest you read Tolkien's essay, "On Fairy Stories." It is the standing classic on this topic, and it is available online to read for free.
https://coolcalvary.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/on-fairy-stories1.pdf
You know for sure that the Garden of Eden never existed, do you?

IndigoChild5559

You know for sure that the Garden of Eden never existed, do you?
There is as much chance of the Garden of Eden having literally existed as there is that Zeus is on Mount Olympus, or that Raven stole the Sun.

The thing that distinguishes the Adam and Eve story, is what it teaches about the nature of humanity.
Did you get around to reading Tolkien's On Fairy Stories?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Thursday 11-24-22 5th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Cheshvan 28, 5783 64th. Fall Day
We are Christians just trying to keep our Lord's commandments, but the reason that I asked this question is soo many people I notice have their beliefs but are we supposed to have just one faith to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?

Love, Walter
Oh look, another zombie dredged up by the broken system...

WHY is this in 'Interfaith Discussions' when it's obviously all about you Xians?

It's far too late to Report it, but just shows the hubris.

Thursday 11-24-22 5th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Cheshvan 28, 5783 64th. Fall Day

We are Christians just trying to keep our Lord's commandments, but the reason that I asked this question is soo many people I notice have their beliefs but are we supposed to have just one faith to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?

Love, Walter
I am a Christian/Wiccan/Shaman witch. Religious diversity is a beautiful thing as people can compare and learn from differing beliefs about the Divine and people who refrain from Religion all together. Blessed Be Walter and Debbie.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Oh look, another zombie dredged up by the broken system...

This thread wasn't "dredged up by the broken system." Someone replied to it but then deleted their reply.

IndigoChild5559

I am a Christian/Wiccan/Shaman witch. Religious diversity is a beautiful thing as people can compare and learn from differing beliefs about the Divine and people who refrain from Religion all together. Blessed Be Walter and Debbie.
Given that Christianity condemns witchcraft, it is impossible to be a Christian witch. However, sometimes people form new religions be combining elements from two or more different religions, like with Voodoo. Perhaps you are engaging in this sort of syncretism.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Agnosticism is not a religion. That's why I put "none" in my profile under "Religion". Maybe that category should be renamed "Religion/Philosophy"?
Or how about "religious position"? Religious positions can include irreligious positions, I think. Although, if someone puts in their religious bio: "None", "atheist" or "agnostic" I think virtually the same thing - they don't believe or practice religion.

IndigoChild5559

Agnosticism is not a religion. That's why I put "none" in my profile under "Religion". Maybe that category should be renamed "Religion/Philosophy"?
It is a terrible shame that the new software no longer lists a person's religion or philosophy. It makes people harder to understand because we lack context for their remarks.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
It is a terrible shame that the new software no longer lists a person's religion or philosophy. It makes people harder to understand because we lack context for their remarks.
It does, you just have go to their profile > about section. And you are still able to view and change your own too. It's just not as visible as it used to be.

Given that Christianity condemns witchcraft, it is impossible to be a Christian witch. However, sometimes people form new religions be combining elements from two or more different religions, like with Voodoo. Perhaps you are engaging in this sort of syncretism.
Merry meet indigochild, I'm so sorry but your statement "It is impossible to be a Christian Witch" is not correct because you are assuming you have the right to speak for the entire Christian community.

Even though each Christian community has the right to interpret the bible according to their understanding of it, they have no right to force their doctrine outside their beliefs or organization.

Christianity does not depend on acceptance from a church, a pastor or a congregation in order to be a Christian.

It is the individual's right to have a personal relationship with Christ without interference from anyone. A person or church has no authority or right to interfere with a person's personal relationship Christ period!

The only right a congregation or a church would have over a Christian Witch is if they agree to submit their will to the church's doctrine and ask to be a member of that church. The religious leaders of that specific Christian Faith can then say that they don't allow Christian Witches in their organization, and it's impossible to be a Christian Witch in their religious organization.

Since I will never submit to any individual's Christian doctrine or apply for any membership to any organized Christian church, I have the right to completely reject their Dogma including the assertion that it's impossible to be a Christian Witch.

In my religion, Christ has accepted me as a witch and He even accepted some Christians who are some of the worst sinner's of the world too! Isn't that a beautiful story!

In my religion Jesus loves all, even if you reject Him completely. He will always be there for anyone that needs Him and that's all that matters to me. His unconditional love is what drew me to Him and unlike organized Christian religion, nothing is impossible for Jesus to handle even if you're a Christian witch.

For the Christian Apologetics and Fundamentalist that might be here, please do me a favor, don't try to quote bible reasons why people can't be Christian Witches, save it for your church where it belongs, because I'm not part of your Dogma, your church or your interpretations of the bible. I have my relationship with Christ, you should have your own relationship with Christ too if you want, that's perfectly fine with me. Just leave me out of your conversation or concerns, because if you don't, you're just beating a dead horse my dear.

When I witness to people about Christ I tell them the 4 main things I love about Him:

1) He loves you unconditionally.

2) You never have to feel alone or unworthy to be with Him.

3) He will never force you to love Him.

4) You will have a loving King, a loving family, and a wonderful home to come to whenever you are ready.

Have you ever had a complete stranger walk up to you with such a beautiful smile on their face and hug you with all their might because they are so glad to see you? Have you ever seen such unbelievable love that it overwhelmed you with tears of joy?

That is what Jesus has done for me and why I love Him so much! He is an INCLUSIVE King, meaning He will find every reason to accept you into His Kingdom!

Fundamental Christians are EXCLUSIVE, meaning they will find every excuse they can to exclude a person from Christianity. In my opinion they are the best servants of Satan because like Satan, they try their best to turn people away from Christianity and invalidate their beliefs unless they worship God the way they tell them to. They use terms like

"You're not good enough to love God"

"it's impossible to be a Christian if you are a _______ (fill in the blank)"

"I will shun you if you don't obey what I read from the bible"

"I will demonize you if you don't obey what I read from the bible"

"I have 5,000 verses from the bible why you are going to hell"

"I'm not going to have any relationship with you because your beliefs might weaken my Faith in God"

Fundamental Christians and apologetics want to argue and debate with people in their attempt to win people over to Christ. If they can't convert you they will shun, you, demonize you, belittle you and try to invalidate you as a person. This is why it is so dangerous for any religion whether it is Christian or not who choose to avoid people of other Faiths. If you shut yourself off from other Faiths, your religion becomes a cult and your understanding of other faiths will be lost by your own paranoia of them.

In conclusion, I am so blessed to be a Christian, Wiccan, Shaman Witch. I accept people for who they are, and feel so honored to have so many people from all Faiths of life, from Christian to Pagan and the secular section of Atheism too!

It is these wonderful people that helped me see how precious people are and that religious differences aside, we really aren't that different from each other. That is the beauty of Syncretism you will never understand unless you reach out to people of different Faith's.

I also want you to know that I'm not condemning your religion or your personal beliefs. I love you regardless of what you think of me. Your always welcome to be part of my family and if there is anything I can do for you, let me know. Blessed Be, Goddess Bless and God Bless you too, so mote it be!

Last edited: