• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

May I Ask, What Religion Are You?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Atheism is not a religion.
Interesting response. How would you answer the question in the OP ("What religion are you?") if you did not believe in God?

Would a different wording convey different meaning? I mean, the response to which you were referring ("I am an atheist") would certainly seem to imply an equivalent answer ("I have no religion"), but would it make a big difference to you which answer was chosen?

And if so...why?

vulcanlogician

Hi Walter&Debbie. Welcome to RF.

I don't have a religion that I subscribe to. But I am interested in all things religion, so I enjoy hanging out here.

Pleasure to meet you.

vulcanlogician

No Sir, I don't believe in any man-made religion, but Pure Religion is what the Bible teaches, Old and New Testament, King James mostly.

What are you saying "no sir" to?

The Nicene Creed or Biblical inerrancy? (Or both?)

And what do you mean by "King James mostly?" What makes King James so special?

vulcanlogician

I find the King James is more accurate,
Why the King James Bible of 1611 Remains the Most Popular Translation in History
Not only was it the first 'people's Bible,' but its poetic cadences and vivid imagery have had an enduring influence on Western culture.

I agree. The KJV is very beautifully and poetically translated. And (for it's time) it served as a very accurate translation.

But none of that means that it is the unblemished disclosure of God's will, right? It is possible to examine the body of texts we now have access to and (perhaps) come up with a more accurate translation.... at least in theory we can do that.

Also, I wonder if King's James enthusiasts aren't really so because that's the version they were taught and came to appreciate rather than the reasons they give for the KJV being superior.

Food for thought anyway. In any case, "most popular" isn't much of a selling point with me. As Martin Luther King repeated, "What's popular isn't always right, and what's right isn't always popular."

A lot of works (like my favorite book ever, Plato's Republic) contain erroneous ideas. Just because I think the book contains a lot of truth, doesn't mean I think it is completely true.

Last edited:
I agree. The KJV is very beautifully and poetically translated. And (for it's time) it served as a very accurate translation.

But none of that means that it is the unblemished disclosure of God's will, right? It is possible to examine the body of texts we now have access to and (perhaps) come up with a more accurate translation.... at least in theory we can do that.

Also, I wonder if King's James enthusiasts aren't really so because that's the version they were taught and came to appreciate rather than the reasons they give for the KJV being superior.

Food for thought anyway. In any case, "most popular" isn't much of a selling point with me. As Martin Luther King repeated, "What's popular isn't always right, and what's right isn't always popular."

A lot of works (like my favorite book ever, Plato's Republic) contain erroneous ideas. Just because I think the book contains a lot of truth, doesn't mean I thin it is completely true.
Well, this KJV that I use is The Open Bible Large Print Edition, with-along References, Bibical Cyclopedic Index,

The Christian's Guide to the New Life, Book Introductions and Outlines, Visual Survey of the Bible, Special Study Aids, Words of Christ in Red.

6672-Hardcover ISBN-10: 0-7180-1811-7 ISBN-13978-0-7180-1811-5 Printed in U.S.A. $49.99

Nelson Bibles www.nelsonbibles.com

Friday 11-25-22 6th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Cheshvan 29, 5783 65th. Fall Day

vulcanlogician, I must sign out now but, the Lord be willing, I will be back soon tomorrow.

Love, Walter

PearlSeeker

True.

Thats why I refer to myself as an ex Christian who returned to having no gods like it is when one is born.

Essentially I went back home.
2038481027-8ZfmI.jpeg