• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

May 7: National Day of Prayer

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
For those that pray, today, May 7, is the National Day of Prayer. What's your prayer for today?

I became aware of today by looking at California's COVID-19 page specifically Governor Newsom Issues Proclamation Declaring Day of Prayer 5.7.20 | California Governor

My prayer is a round that is attributed to the Sikh and the Irish!

May the long time
sunshine
call you
all love surround you.
And the pure light
within you
guide your way on.

This version ends with "sat nam" which can be translated as “Truth is my essence.”

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Mine:

I implore you, the Source of the cycle of birth, life and death, to free me from its bondage, make me fearless, and lead me to the absolute truth and bliss.

...I didn't write it. I'll try to post the name of it in a second.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Can I ask.....who are all these people praying to? Are there many gods who apparently do not answer so many prayers, or is there one Creator God who has told us to pray for his Kingdom to come and fix all that is wrong in this world?

When we pray for this Kingdom, it is with the understanding that all that troubles us is permitted for now, and serves a purpose.
This means that our prayers should be for endurance to cope with the world as it spirals down to its inevitable end, with the hope of coming out the other side, faith intact and gratitude for not losing it under our difficult circumstances.

If prayers are for god(s) to take our troubles and difficult circumstances away, then why are things getting worse? Can those who worship other gods explain why he/they appear to be absent in the world generally?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Can I ask.....who are all these people praying to? Are there many gods who apparently do not answer so many prayers, or is there one Creator God who has told us to pray for his Kingdom to come and fix all that is wrong in this world?

When we pray for this Kingdom, it is with the understanding that all that troubles us is permitted for now, and serves a purpose.
This means that our prayers should be for endurance to cope with the world as it spirals down to its inevitable end, with the hope of coming out the other side, faith intact and gratitude for not losing it under our difficult circumstances.

If prayers are for god(s) to take our troubles and difficult circumstances away, then why are things getting worse? Can those who worship other gods explain why he/they appear to be absent in the world generally?

First, without the promise of a kingdom, the Abrahamic God, and other gods, would be equally absent, in my mind.

The replacement of theology about a kingdom, for a believer in Hinduism like myself, might be looking to things like evolution, the constant changing of things, rebirth, and eventual progress.

But, I'm just going to discuss in this thread. Which means, I might not reply again regarding the subject in this thread. If it was a debate thread or PM, I would.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
First, without the promise of a kingdom, the Abrahamic God, and other gods, would be equally absent, in my mind.

The replacement of theology about a kingdom, for a believer in Hinduism like myself, might be looking to things like evolution, the constant changing of things, rebirth, and eventual progress.

But, I'm just going to discuss in this thread. Which means, I might not reply again regarding the subject in this thread. If it was a debate thread or PM, I would.

Thank you for your response...I was just after some insights as to whom these prayers are directed to, and what is the expectation of those who say them?

I didn't even look at the forum it was in....a bad habit of mine....sorry.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Thank you for your response...I was just after some insights as to whom these prayers are directed to, and what is the expectation of those who say them?

I pray to Hindu gods of my choosing. Krishna, Vishnu, now Shiva.... a few others. I can't speak for others, but what I wanted was a Hindu healing prayer. I'll have to read up more on the history of it, but if you google the name of the prayer, I think there might be a Wikipedia entry.