1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maxine Waters Incites Riots?

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by esmith, Apr 19, 2021.

1. esmith

esmith Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,838
    Religion:
    No name designated at this time.
  2. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,544
    Religion:
    Love
    What happened to you when Donald Trump went too far? Oh wait, it was OK because he's entitled to do it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. The Hammer

The Hammer White Wolf - kvite ulfh
    Premium Member It's My Birthday!

Ratings:
    +5,037
    Religion:
    Druidry
    What's good for the goose, is good for the gander, I say. Welcome to the new era of politics.

4. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,556
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    I'm heartened by your newfound concern about inciting riots, and I trust that you'll be condemning this behaviour from the right as well.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. esmith

esmith Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,838
    Religion:
    I have never condoned the action of anyone or any group that expounds viloence.
    Can you say that with a straight face?

6. ADigitalArtist

ADigitalArtist Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,136
    Religion:
    Irreligious Agnostic Atheistic Apatheist
    But did you call for Donald to step down, as these people are of Maxine, when he told his constituents to punch his detractors and he would pay their bail? Or when he called for voter intimidation? Or when he incited a violent insurrection to overturn a free election?

I'm under no illusions that in a uncivil society, civil unrest does anything. And that the violence of Malcolm X and the riots after MLK's assassination did more for the Civil rights movement than any peaceful protest or flowery speeches about love and brotherhood.

But these people took a stand for something that matters. Trump took a stand for his own ego.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. esmith

esmith Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,838
    Religion:
    What most of you do not understand is this post is not about what I did or did not do or say during the Trump administration nor the actions of the previous administration.
    This post is about Maxine Waters; however I understand all of your reluctance to address the substance of this post. So go back and hide under your hatred of the previous administration.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. fantome profane

fantome profane Keep safe, and keep your neighbours safe.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,510
    Maxine Waters has a history of reckless speech and it is not helpful.

But I don’t care a whit what the likes of Greene think about the matter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +63,031
    Religion:
    Atheist
    You're wrong.
    Neither Trump nor Waters should be fomenting hatred & violence.

In the news....
    WATCH: Judge Scolds Maxine Waters for 'Abhorrent' Comments, Says She 'May Have Given' Chauvin an Argument for Appeal
    Excerpted....
    After the prosecutors and defense attorneys presented their closing arguments in the Derek Chauvin trial, the defense moved for a mistrial because of media coverage of the case and comments by Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA). Judge Peter Cahill acknowledged that Waters might have given the defense an argument to use for an appeal, and scolded her for making “disrespectful” and “abhorrent” comments on the case, but did not feel that the issue rose to the level that would require a mistrial.

Defense attorney Eric Nelson argued that the high level of media attention was “so profound” and “so pervasive” that it was impossible for the jury to not have been tainted by it. The jury who will decide if Chauvin is criminally responsible for the death of George Floyd was not sequestered during the trial itself, and will only be sequestered now during their deliberations.

Nelson referenced Waters’ recent comments as she joined a protest in Minneapolis that if Chauvin was not convicted that they would have to “get more confrontational,” calling it “mind-boggling” that “we have U.S. Representatives threatening acts of violence in relation to this specific case.”

10. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +63,031
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I seem to recall the term, "whataboutism", coming up before.

11. We Never Know

We Never Know Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,969
    Religion:
    It exists
    I watched that when it was on. Nelson also said prosecutorial misconduct is grounds for a mistrial.
    My question is if Waters is a representative from Cali, why did she fly out and stick her nose in it.

12. Kooky

Kooky Freedom from Sanity

Ratings:
    +589
    No you're right, we should adress her call for people to continue protesting, which I wholeheartedly support. People should be free to express themselves, and the right to public protest is one of the most important ones in a functional democracy - and I suppose in America, too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,668
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Greene makes the Mad Hatter look like a sane, normally functioning human, so of course she's going to do wild, loony, whacky things. She's already promoted various conspiracy theories, so what's one more mark of idiocy?
    Apparently not, as even saying "fight like hell" and promising exciting things and pumping people up to prevent an election certification is not really inciting a riot. And if that isn't inciting a riot, then telling people to take to the streets, ignore curfew, and become more confrontational is not inciting a riot. She's just telling them to not leave the streets at all and shout louder than the ever have and flip them all off.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MonkeyFire

MonkeyFire Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +478
    Religion:
    Faithful Jesus believer
    Donald Trump is a pig devil.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. ADigitalArtist

Ratings:
    +12,136
    Religion:
    Of course it is. It's just recognizing the hypocrisy of those Republicans ignoring much more offensive conduct from their own is inconvenient to partisan tirades. They expect democrats to hold the moral high ground (which they do, none of what Maxine said here is even problematic let alone illegal) while they violate it at every turn. At this point the tactic is so banal it's no wonder it gets commented on.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,204
    Religion:
    Christian (Methodist)
    I like how you qualified that at the end to differentiate between functional democracy and whatever we got going here in this country these days.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +63,031
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Of course democracy functions.
    Just look at who isn't President anymore.

18. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,668
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Telling people to be more confrontational is problematic. You cannot ever assume people are mind readers and will know what you mean, and "we have to be more confrontational" is very open to interpretation. If Chauvin is acquitted the crowd won't need any encouragement as it's likely to be explosively confrontational.

• Like Like x 3
  19. esmith

esmith Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,838
    Religion:
    Yes, they have the right to protest; however, they do not have the right to riot.
    You do know the difference between a protest and a riot don't you?
    Just in case you don't.
    Protest is a usually organized public demonstration of disapproval in a peacful manner
    Riot is a disturbance of the peace created by an assemblage of usually three or more people acting with a common purpose and in a violent and tumultuous manner to the terror of the public

20. ADigitalArtist

Ratings:
    +12,136
    Religion:
    A riot is whatever the police deem it regardless of the actual behavior of the crowd. Or do you think Dr. King was a dangerous rioting thug? Because he certainly was accused of inciting a riot and participating in a riot.

• Like Like x 2