• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mathew takes Isaiah Chapter 7 way out of context

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
It is in the SAME BL@#DY FRICKING CHAPTER!

What more evidences do you need?

Did you only read verse 14, excluding everything else in the chapter?

Man, this is why I dislike the "CHRISTIAN INTERPRETATION" of what they bl@#dy called the OLD TESTAMENT. Some of you, Christians, have the tendency to read only selected verse, without reading the surrounding passage, before and after the cherry-picked verse, and twisted it beyond recognition.

Is Isaiah 7:1 not part of the chapter 7? Isn't the kings mentioned in 7:1 not the same as the reference to the "TWO KINGS" of 7:16?

Is Isaiah 7:15-17 not part of the whole sign? (The complete sign being 7:14-17.)

Can you prove that Isaiah 7:1 is not part of the sign? (And when I mean sign, I mean the complete sign (7:14-17), and not just verse 14.)

Can you prove that the sign in no way related to the Ahaz, Pekah, Rezin and the King of Assyria?
You know when I was taught Christianity, I was spoon fed the right verses. "Unto us a child is born," etc. Beautiful, wonderful picture, but I was not ever told about Ahaz and his enemies. That was irrelevant. If I had bought into it, I'm sure I'd be arguing the Christian interpretation also. The strangest thing about it is you are the one arguing for taking the Bible in context. The context does not, and never will work for them. But that is not important. Making Jesus the Messiah, making Jesus God, that is what's important, even if they have to twist a few things here and there.

sincerly

You know when I was taught Christianity, I was spoon fed the right verses. "Unto us a child is born," etc. Beautiful, wonderful picture, but I was not ever told about Ahaz and his enemies. That was irrelevant. If I had bought into it, I'm sure I'd be arguing the Christian interpretation also. The strangest thing about it is you are the one arguing for taking the Bible in context. The context does not, and never will work for them. But that is not important. Making Jesus the Messiah, making Jesus God, that is what's important, even if they have to twist a few things here and there.

Hi CG D, Nor were you taught that Ahaz was just as disobedient to GOD as was Israel-- his enemy and of the same family of Jacob.

Concerning those "right verses", have you in your studies of the scriptures found them to refer to any other than Jesus Christ? I haven't. As far as Context, the everlasting Gospel and the plan of Salvation isn't something of the New Testament only. The story of Redemption started before the "foundation of the earth was laid".

The only twisting was done by the "father of lies" and has been propagated since by those who continue to believe "there is no Creator GOD" "and the scriptures are a myth". Also, by those who have set themselves and their teachings as the truth instead of the lies they are.

gnostic

The Lost One
sincerly said:
Isa.7:14 doesn't relate to those people.

You just seemed to keep ignoring that the Immanuel is still the child in verses 7:15 and 7:16, and that make related to the crisis in Judah, with 2 kings encroaching on Ahaz's kingdom (7:1-9), and how it would be resolved by the time the child Immanuel reached the age can eat curds and honey (7:15), just before he will accept good over evil (7:16; a variation to 8:4, before the child can say "mother" or "father"). The king of Assyria will be Judah's deliverer (7:17).

The woman is not really important.

And it is not the miracle birth of a child or the giving a name to the child that's important, but WHEN the child would reach a certain age, Ahaz's kingdom will be saved and crisis be resolved.

Can not bl@#dy read the complete sign (7:14-17)? Are that stubborn and selectively blind that you can't understand what you reading?

You have to read WHY the sign was given in the first place.

1. Ahaz and his kingdom are dire crisis (7:1-9).
  2. Isaiah informed Ahaz of the sign (7:13-17) of WHEN the crisis will be resolved (7:15-16) and BY WHOM (King of Assyria 7:17) will resolved the crisis (back at verse 7:1).
  3. Further sign (7:18) is given about Assyria, symbolized by the bee (7:18) and the river (7:18 & 7:19, and then 8:6-8; and with 8:8 about flooding Judah with Assyria's river is where Immanuel's name is found again). You should also notice that the earlier verse (7:15) speak of the child (Immanuel) will eat curds and honey, also speak of the people eating curds and honey (7:22). More connection between Immanuel and Assyria (as well as between Immanuel and Judah).
  4. Chapter 8 revealed that is still under threat by Aram and Israel, but here we have new development:
    1. Now in the present, Isaiah had sired a son (8:3), who is named Maher-shalal-hash-baz, from a prophetess (Isaiah's wife?),
    2. but a similar sign is given (in 8:4), that before the time the child could say "mother" or "father", bear uncanny resemblance to verse 7:16-17 of WHEN the crisis with Aram and Israel (8:4) will be resolved, and again - BY WHOM - the King of Assyria (8:4).
    3. As I had mentioned earlier in point 3, there is a metaphor of Assyria, where it was compared to the river (most likely the Tigris) in verses 8:6-8 and another for Judah (or more specifically Jerusalem) to the waters of Shiloah (8:6). And like I said earlier, Immanuel is mentioned again in 8:8.
All these points, connect Immanuel with what was happening and will happen in Judah, during its crisis, and HOW the crisis will be resolved.

gnostic

The Lost One
sincerly said:
Hi CG D, Nor were you taught that Ahaz was just as disobedient to GOD as was Israel-- his enemy and of the same family of Jacob.

WE ALL KNOW that Ahaz was a disobedient...

...but obedient or disobedient, God had still showed a sign that Judah will not fall to Aram and Israel to Ahaz (via Isaiah, of course). Just because Ahaz is a bad king, doesn't mean that your God will not save Judah (that if, he was saving Judah).

Judging by the Books of Kings, Jerusalem was not meant to fall yet, at the hands of Pekah and Rezin.

Concerning those "right verses", have you in your studies of the scriptures found them to refer to any other than Jesus Christ? I haven't. As far as Context, the everlasting Gospel and the plan of Salvation isn't something of the New Testament only. The story of Redemption started before the "foundation of the earth was laid".

The only twisting was done by the "father of lies" and has been propagated since by those who continue to believe "there is no Creator GOD" "and the scriptures are a myth".

And here, you're not only demonstrating your blind faith, but your irrationality and delusion.

sincerly said:
Also, by those who have set themselves and their teachings as the truth instead of the lies they are.

And this (above quote) - could very well apply to you as well as anyone else.

You have twisted the meaning of not only that single verse, but that of two whole chapters (Isaiah 7 & 8). That take a level of dishonesty to a whole new level.

Well done, sincerly, you've taken the prized title of "father of lies". Good for you.

sincerly

WE ALL KNOW that Ahaz was a disobedient...

...but obedient or disobedient, God had still showed a sign that Judah will not fall to Aram and Israel to Ahaz (via Isaiah, of course). Just because Ahaz is a bad king, doesn't mean that your God will not save Judah (that if, he was saving Judah).

Judging by the Books of Kings, Jerusalem was not meant to fall yet, at the hands of Pekah and Rezin.

Right!Those were NOT Babylon. Neither would have Isaiah referred to his wife as a Virgin as in Vs. 14 and would not have included the "go into the prophetess" if both referred to the same "Son". Isaiah in vs.14 and other chapters expressed the same message GOD gave to Adam an Eve in that one vs.Gen.3:15 ----"The seed of the woman".

2Chro.36:15-23, gives more history of that period. "And the LORD God of their fathers sent to them by his messengers, rising up betimes, and sending; because he had compassion on his people, and on his dwelling place: But they mocked the messengers of God, and despised his words, and misused his prophets, until the wrath of the LORD arose against his people, till [there was] no remedy. ....Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, All the kingdoms of the earth hath the LORD God of heaven given me; and he hath charged me to build him an house in Jerusalem, which [is] in Judah. Who [is there] among you of all his people? The LORD his God [be] with him, and let him go up. "

Pharaoh was used by GOD.
Nebuchadnezzar was used by GOD and Cyrus was used by GOD.

And here, you're not only demonstrating your blind faith, but your irrationality and delusion.

What I'm seeing is your projection-ism.

And this (above quote) - could very well apply to you as well as anyone else.

It could, if I had a signature such as yours.

You have twisted the meaning of not only that single verse, but that of two whole chapters (Isaiah 7 & 8). That take a level of dishonesty to a whole new level.

Well done, sincerly, you've taken the prized title of "father of lies". Good for you.

Jesus said, "the Scriptures testify" of HIM and that verse was one such. Therefore, I take HIS assessment rather than yours.

gnostic

The Lost One
sincerly said:
Right!Those were NOT Babylon. Neither would have Isaiah referred to his wife as a Virgin as in Vs. 14 and would not have included the "go into the prophetess" if both referred to the same "Son".

I believed that we have gone over this before, sincerly.

The problem with your claim is that the passage (7:14) uses the Hebrew word almah, which means "young woman".

Nothing in almah indicated the status of the woman's "virginity", just her probable age as being "young", as opposed to being "old".

Below is the following examples of almah or young woman:
A young woman could be a "virgin", but it is just as likely as she could not be a virgin. A young woman could be married or single, tall or short, blonde or brunette. And most important of all, young woman (almah) could be pregnant (or not).​
Do you understand this?

Therefore, this almah could be a young "pregnant" woman or young "married" woman, just as well as that of a young "virgin" woman, but the word almah itself doesn't mean "virgin", "pregnant" or "married" woman. The only thing that almah denote is that her age, as being "young". Her virginity or otherwise is irrelevant.

The gospel of Matthew was written in Greek originally, and the author (supposedly Matthew) and had relied on the Greek source or Greek translation of Isaiah 7 (from the Greek Septuagint Bible).

Whoever had translated Isaiah 7 from Hebrew to Greek in the 2nd century BCE, had mistakenly use the Greek parthenos "virgin" for Hebrew almah "young woman". The Septuagint would have been right to use virgin (parthenos), had the Hebrew book of Isaiah say or used the word betulah ("virgin") instead of almah ("young woman").

Since the Book of Isaiah is a Hebrew book and not the Greek book, then when reading the English translation of this Isaiah 7, we should consider the context that's best-match the context of original Hebrew text, not on the context of the Greek translation.

And the current translations of the Isaiah 7:14 from the Hebrew text, indicated that almah was already pregnant when the sign was given:
Isaiah 7:14 said:
Assuredly, my Lord will you a sign of His own accord! Look, the young woman is with a child and about to give birth to a son. Let her name him Immanuel.
(New Jewish Publication Society = JPS 1985.)
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.
But regardless of whether the woman is a virgin or not, a "young woman is with child" is not a complete sign, as I had iterated many times. 7:14 is only a quarter of complete sign: 7:14-17.

And the sign was given to Ahaz because of his kingdom's current condition with Aram and Israel. Why would Isaiah or his God give Ahaz just one-verse sign - and quite useless one at that.

Reading ONLY JUST THIS ONE VERSE (7:14 ), tell us absolutely nothing of what the child will do, let alone becoming the messiah.

At the very least if you were to read the entire chapter as a whole, you would keep in context of the original message (hence the sign 7:14-17) is related to Ahaz, the Two Kings and the King of Assyria, BUT ONLY WHEN THE BOY REACH A CERTAIN AGE, when Immanuel eat curds and honey (7:15) and before Immanuel is wise enough to choose right from wrong (7:16).

The other parts of Isaiah 7 actually supplied the reason for the sign, and for the child, which you've continually ignored.

sincerly said:
Isaiah in vs.14 and other chapters expressed the same message GOD gave to Adam an Eve in that one vs.Gen.3:15 ----"The seed of the woman".

I have already gave you my answer about Genesis 3:15 and "The seed of the woman". And I will say it to you again.

You have taken another verse, actually, you were snipping and pasting only a fraction of THAT VERSE, way out of context, to spin more of your utter irrationality and shameless dishonesty. It is people like you that give bad name to Christian.

sincerly

I believed that we have gone over this before, sincerly.

The problem with your claim is that the passage (7:14) uses the Hebrew word almah, which means "young woman".

Nothing in almah indicated the status of the woman's "virginity", just her probable age as being "young", as opposed to being "old".

Below is the following examples of almah or young woman:
A young woman could be a "virgin", but it is just as likely as she could not be a virgin. A young woman could be married or single, tall or short, blonde or brunette. And most important of all, young woman (almah) could be pregnant (or not).
Do you understand this?

Hi Gnostic, Yes, we have definitely been over and over the material many times, but you don't seem to understand your own postings.

"almah" =
Outline of Biblical Usage
1) virgin, young woman
a) of marriageable age
b) maid or newly married
"There is no instance where it can be proved that 'almâ designates a young woman who is not a virgin. The fact of virginity is obvious in Gen 24:43 where 'almâ is used of one who was being sought as a bride for Isaac." (R. Laird Harris, et al. Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, p. 672.)

AV — virgin 4, maid 2, damsels 1 A total of seven times was "almah" found in the KJV of the OT.
Your commentary is full of "could be"-s, In the Jewish culture, to be of "marriageable age" and NOT A VIRGIN was to bring folly into the camp---and resulted in stoning.
Isaiah and Moses writing about Abraham/Isaac's Bride used "almah"/VIRGIN to insure the purity of the Bride.
You have taken another verse, actually, you were snipping and pasting only a fraction of THAT VERSE, way out of context, to spin more of your utter irrationality and shameless dishonesty. It is people like you that give bad name to Christian.
The Scriptures tell the "Everlasting Gospel Message" from Genesis to Revelation. Those who exhibit "irrationality and shameless dishonesty" are the same ones who have made a work of promoting the self determination of "Biblical and Creation myths".

gnostic

The Lost One
sincerly said:
Your commentary is full of "could be"-s, In the Jewish culture, to be of "marriageable age" and NOT A VIRGIN was to bring folly into the camp---and resulted in stoning.
Isaiah and Moses writing about Abraham/Isaac's Bride used "almah"/VIRGIN to insure the purity of the Bride.

ARE YOU LISTENING YOURSELF????!!!

You're completely forgetting that Mary was pregnant out of wedlock.

According to both gospels, Mary was pregnant and not yet married when Joseph found out; not only that, Joseph wasn't even the father. They were only betrothed, not married to one another. By all account, she should have been stoned.

You speak of Jewish law about stoning, and yet you ignored that -
a) she wasn't married,
b) she wasn't pregnant (and again, not married)
c) she was betrothed to Joseph, but Joseph is not even the father.
These (above points) would have resulted in her stoning just as likely as her being of "marriageable age" and of "not being a virgin".

Man, you contradict yourself and you continuously twist words to suit your delusional claims.

sincerly said:
"almah" =
Outline of Biblical Usage
1) virgin, young woman
a) of marriageable age
b) maid or newly married
"There is no instance where it can be proved that 'almâ designates a young woman who is not a virgin. The fact of virginity is obvious in Gen 24:43 where 'almâ is used of one who was being sought as a bride for Isaac." (R. Laird Harris, et al. Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, p. 672.)

AV — virgin 4, maid 2, damsels 1 A total of seven times was "almah" found in the KJV of the OT.

First off, the KJV is not most accurate nor the most reliable English translation of the bible.

It mixed the original Hebrew and Greek translation when translating Isaiah 7. KJV translators/editors/compilers had both the Hebrew Masoretic Text (MT) and one of the Greek Septuagint bible available for them when translating the OT.

The Masoretic Text (MT) was the primary source for translating the OT.

The golden rules of translating any text (not just the bible, whether it be OT or NT) is to use one source. You would only supplemented with other primary sources are 3 possibilities:-

1. The primary source, in this case, Masoretic Text (MT) is missing a verse or group of verses, due to damages (eg fragment or lacuna) to book, manuscript, scroll, paper, clay tablet, stone, etc. That are frequent problems when it come to translating texts from ancient writings. Whether it be paper, parchment, papyrus, clay or stone, they can be You could use other copies (of MT for example) or other sources to fill in what are missing. (Well, Isaiah 7:14 is not missing in MT, so there were no need to fill in missing verse with the Septuagint.)
  2. The passages from the primary source are not missing, but the ink, paint or whatever was to write the passages had faded away, making it unreadable, due to the age of the primary source. In this case, other sources or copies can be used to substitute, to fill in what was unreadable. (Well, the verse in Isaiah 7:14 is not unreadable in the MT, so there is no need to use the Septuagint.)
  3. The passages from the primary source are readable, but the passages are incoherent (doesn't make any sense). You can compare it with other copies, or compare them to other alternative sources, and fill the passage in with something that are more coherent when translating the text. (Well, Isaiah 7:14 from the MT is not incoherent, therefore there were no need to use alternative source for translating that verse.)
The best-practice in translating old (or very old) text is to use one primary source, and only used alternative sources to supplement, when there are (physical) gaps in the text, due to age or damage, when parts of the text is not readable, or the passages are incoherent.

Since there are no physical gaps, the text are readable and coherent in the Masoretic Text - particularly of Isaiah 7, there were no need for the KJV translators to substitute for another source, when translating Isaiah 7:14.

That being the case, the Book of Isaiah is Hebrew book, so KJV should have relied on only Hebrew text, and only used the Septuagint (the alternative source) should any of the above problems occurred.

Instead of using Isaiah 7 from the Hebrew, KJV translators used Greek word parthenos - to get "virgin". This can be seen as Matthew used the Greek translation in his quote. So in essence, KJV is quote from another translation.

And getting back to almah. Young woman or almah doesn't necessarily mean betulah (virgin). If Isaiah 7:14 wanted virgin, then it should have used betulah instead of almah.

And again, Isaiah 7 is a Hebrew book, then the context should be Hebrew, not the Greek corruption of that verse 14.

And translating from Hebrew, the NJPS (New Jewish Publication Society, 1985 translation) translated 7:14 as the woman is already with a child; it just a matter of providing a name to child after he is born:

Assuredly, my Lord will you a sign of His own accord! Look, the young woman is with a child and about to give birth to a son. Let her name him Immanuel.

Hence, the child - Immanuel - had already being conceived during the time of Ahaz, and would be born before Ahaz died and before the current event and crisis being resolved (in Ahaz's lifetime).

Again, you stubbornly ignored the other verses in Isaiah 7 (7:15-17) which are all related to the child about to be born to a young woman (almah).

And the child is Isaiah's, according to Isaiah 8:3-4.

sincerly said:
The Scriptures tell the "Everlasting Gospel Message" from Genesis to Revelation. Those who exhibit "irrationality and shameless dishonesty" are the same ones who have made a work of promoting the self determination of "Biblical and Creation myths".

Again, you demonstrated irrationality and dishonesty.

The gospel have absolutely nothing to do with Genesis, nor even that of Revelation. When Jesus was conceived and born, the book of Revelation wasn't even written yet 60 years or more after Jesus' death and supposed resurrection.

In fact, none of NT books or letter were written, and including each gospel in Jesus' lifetime. So how can there be gospel message be "eternal", when none of the NT books/letters were written?

For something to be eternal, the gospel had to exist before Jesus was born, before David, Moses, Jacob, Abraham, Noah and Adam.

And BTW, we are not debating about the creative myth of Genesis, just that of the book of Isaiah and Matthew 1, so you continuously bringing up my view about Genesis, is highly irrelevant to what we are discussing. Stick with the topic.

sincerly

ARE YOU LISTENING YOURSELF????!!!

You're completely forgetting that Mary was pregnant out of wedlock.

According to both gospels, Mary was pregnant and not yet married when Joseph found out; not only that, Joseph wasn't even the father. They were only betrothed, not married to one another. By all account, she should have been stoned.

Hi Gnostic, Listening? Yes, and I agree with with the Scriptures from which it was taken.
No!, I am well aware of Mary being pregnant BY THE HOLY SPIRIT--NOT man. Joseph understood the angel of the LORD well; or she would have been stoned. Since Matthew didn't give all the details of that conversation or didn't know them or Joseph's further reasoning, could Joseph as a student of the Scriptures have Remembered the Promise of Gen.3:15 AND Isa.7:14 concerning "the SEED" of the Woman an the expected/promised Messiah which was to come?
Matthew upon writing the Gospel did as Jesus informed the Group in the upper room after the resurrection of "all the Scriptures concerning me"---Matthew and John wrote a lot in their "Gospels".

It is your prerogative to disbelieve and declare the Bible and the life and teachings of Jesus as myths. I choose the believe those Scriptural writings from Genesis to Revelation.

I don't know how the messages of your myths ends, but having read the ending of Revelation, I am satisfied that the Creator GOD will have placed Isa.7:14 in the correct setting and that THE PROMISED ONE arrived "in the fullness of time"---on time to fulfill the mission HE WAS sent to do.
Just as Matthew wrote.

gnostic

The Lost One
sincerly said:
It is your prerogative to disbelieve and declare the Bible and the life and teachings of Jesus as myths. I choose the believe those Scriptural writings from Genesis to Revelation.

I don't know how the messages of your myths ends, but having read the ending of Revelation, I am satisfied that the Creator GOD will have placed Isa.7:14 in the correct setting and that THE PROMISED ONE arrived "in the fullness of time"---on time to fulfill the mission HE WAS sent to do.
Just as Matthew wrote.
Are you completely daft?

What I perceive as myth and what I perceive as not a myth, is really not the issue. It is not even part of the thread.

THIS THREAD is on the issue of CONTEXT of Isaiah 7, AND ON MATTHEW'S INTERPRETATION OF Isaiah 7, not on whether it is myth or not.

DAMN IT! Stop trying to change the subject.

It is like to bl@#dy wall.

Do you seriously want to know what I believe?

I believe that Matthew (or whoever the author is) had misquoted and misused Isaiah's passage. That's not the same thing is, as calling it a myth, and until you understand this, we are not going anywhere.

If you understood this, we would not be repeating ourselves, stating the same things over and over again.

What you also don't understand, is that what Jesus said and taught, may be different to what the gospel authors wrote.

The difference between you and I, is that I like to read each chapter as whole. You are the one who like snip a single verse out of the whole chapter (as Matthew had done too), and putting whole different meaning into that misused verse. You do a lot of twisting and distortion, so I really shouldn't be surprise at what you say or believe.

And FYI. I believed far more what Jesus taught than you think I don't. You don't know what I believe or what I think, so you're making a lot of assumption of what I call myth or not.

BAH! This is bl@#dy useless. I am wasting my time, here. Remain stubbornly ignorant if you want; I fed up with replying to you.

sincerly

Are you completely daft?

Only to those who refuse to that the Bible as the word of GOD and attempt to disqualify it.

What I perceive as myth and what I perceive as not a myth, is really not the issue. It is not even part of the thread.

THIS THREAD is on the issue of CONTEXT of Isaiah 7, AND ON MATTHEW'S INTERPRETATION OF Isaiah 7, not on whether it is myth or not.

DAMN IT! Stop trying to change the subject.

Over 600+ posts and Matthew was /is still correct according to Scriptures.

It is like to bl@#dy wall.

Do you seriously want to know what I believe?

I believe that Matthew (or whoever the author is) had misquoted and misused Isaiah's passage. That's not the same thing is, as calling it a myth, and until you understand this, we are not going anywhere.

That which you placed at the bottom of your post is what you believe, also.
Since the Scriptures were inspired by the Holy Spirit, your attempt to distort or claim other than their messages---isn't going anywhere away from the message presented by them.

If you understood this, we would not be repeating ourselves, stating the same things over and over again.

Ditto

What you also don't understand, is that what Jesus said and taught, may be different to what the gospel authors wrote.

The Scriptures verify what Jesus Said and what was written by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

The difference between you and I, is that I like to read each chapter as whole. You are the one who like snip a single verse out of the whole chapter (as Matthew had done too), and putting whole different meaning into that misused verse. You do a lot of twisting and distortion, so I really shouldn't be surprise at what you say or believe.

That is the beauty of the Holy Spirit; HE inspired many writers of different ages with the same principles and messages. That is why it is referred to as the "Everlasting Gospel".

And FYI. I believed far more what Jesus taught than you think I don't. You don't know what I believe or what I think, so you're making a lot of assumption of what I call myth or not.

BAH! This is bl@#dy useless. I am wasting my time, here. Remain stubbornly ignorant if you want; I fed up with replying to you.

I see and understand that which you have written/posted. This is one of the "weightier matters" of the Scriptures that is to be believed.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
sincerly said:
The Scriptures verify what Jesus Said and what was written by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

I know exactly what Jesus said and taught. One of the things he didn't teach is about his birth and conception.

There is no evidences to support the Holy Spirit, but you can believe what you like. The Holy Spirit really have no relevancy over Matthew 1 or Isaiah 7.

I really don't identify inspiration to actual authorship.

I can be inspired by the woman I've fallen in love with and inspire me to write a song about her, that doesn't mean she wrote the song.

What Jesus actually say and taught is one thing, and Paul - who never met Jesus and only have hearsay of what Jesus taught - what Paul wrote, the authorship of those letters belonged to Paul, not Jesus, and certainly not the Holy Spirit.

It certainly have no relevancy if Matthew had taken Isaiah 7 out of context.

Can author make mistake? Could Matthew make mistake? Or is he infallible?

The only way Matthew could be infallible is that God possessed Matthew...I don't see that happening.

sincerly said:
That is the beauty of the Holy Spirit; HE inspired many writers of different ages with the same principles and messages. That is why it is referred to as the "Everlasting Gospel".

That's nothing more than wishful thinking. So this is also off-topic.

You keep putting us off-topic. The topic has nothing to do with Holy Spirit, Genesis 3 or Revelation. Can you for once stick to the topic? Is it too much to ask from you?

sincerly

I know exactly what Jesus said and taught. One of the things he didn't teach is about his birth and conception.

Really? Then again, that which you promote is shouted from the bottom of your posts which are contrary to the Scriptures which you claim to be interpreting.

Jesus said the Prophets/scriptures "testify of me" and you say myth.
Believe what you will, but the Scriptures say differently than your posts here.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Over 600+ posts and Matthew was /is still correct according to Scriptures.
No, you and a couple other Christians believe he is correct. I only asked if it bothers Christians knowing that Matthew takes one small part of a whole chapter and spins it into the virgin birth story. Obviously, it doesn't bother you. Like I've asked several times, does it bother you when other religions take verses from the NT out of context? Obviously, you need your version of Christianity to be absolutely true and without flaws. It's just to some of us, it seems you're forcing the issue. I've mentioned several times that we could add the alleged trip to Egypt and the thing about some lady crying over her kids because "they were no more." Was the Messiah supposed to be called a Nazarene? So many things Matthew throws in there that seems contrived. Jesus is fine, and you're fine. You've shared why you believe it's true, but to me, it really sounds like Matthew did a lot of embellishing.

sincerly

No, you and a couple other Christians believe he is correct. I only asked if it bothers Christians knowing that Matthew takes one small part of a whole chapter and spins it into the virgin birth story. Obviously, it doesn't bother you. Like I've asked several times, does it bother you when other religions take verses from the NT out of context? Obviously, you need your version of Christianity to be absolutely true and without flaws. It's just to some of us, it seems you're forcing the issue. I've mentioned several times that we could add the alleged trip to Egypt and the thing about some lady crying over her kids because "they were no more." Was the Messiah supposed to be called a Nazarene? So many things Matthew throws in there that seems contrived. Jesus is fine, and you're fine. You've shared why you believe it's true, but to me, it really sounds like Matthew did a lot of embellishing.

Hi DG D, Peter said it concerning Paul's epistles and it could just as well be applied to Matthew's or any others whose writings appear in the BIBLE. 2Pet.3:15-16, "And account [that] the longsuffering of our Lord [is] salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction."
And 2Pet.1:1-10, " Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: "

There is no forcing of the scriptural truths because the principles are seen in other writings(inspired Scriptures) as well. Those Prophets had to repeatedly remind and correct the "back-slidings" of those who were called to give the messages and the lusts of the people's today is no different----hear, but NOT DO! Yet, GOD is "long-suffering" awaiting for the Repentance.

Scriptural history has shown that GOD has set times to close the books and the final closing appears to be soon in appearing.
In some parts of the USA, one sees the "signs" of the coming Spring and Summer. Should NOT ONE HEED THE SCRIPTURAL SIGNS AS WELL?

There is more to Isaiah's writings than 7:14 which speaks of that person/BEING and the mission HE will/DID come to DO----and yes, HE did fulfill.

Therefore, it is still your decision(Choice) to make----"as it seems" or the "plan HE Made" and guided through the ages? (and was recorded during obedient and disobedient times).

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Hey Sincerly, We're of course spinning our wheels. You believe all of the NT as the Word of God. Gnostic and I are questioning that. The way that Matthew pulls quotes makes it seem to me like he's making things up. Other than Luke, no one else cares about Jesus's early life. In a related situation on Investigate Truth's thread on interpreting Scriptures, he is saying that the resurrection of Jesus was symbolic. If you have time, could you take a look at it and respond. It is similar to what we are doing here in that he is taking a few verses to prove his point, but they are very out of context to a Christian interpretation. Thanks.

sincerly

Hey Sincerly, We're of course spinning our wheels. You believe all of the NT as the Word of God. Gnostic and I are questioning that. The way that Matthew pulls quotes makes it seem to me like he's making things up. Other than Luke, no one else cares about Jesus's early life. In a related situation on Investigate Truth's thread on interpreting Scriptures, he is saying that the resurrection of Jesus was symbolic. If you have time, could you take a look at it and respond. It is similar to what we are doing here in that he is taking a few verses to prove his point, but they are very out of context to a Christian interpretation. Thanks.

HI CG D, Just where is that thread?

sincerly

Originally Posted by CG Didymus

HI CG D, Just where is that thread?

Hi CG D, If you are trying to bait me into your way of thinking---"all religions do it"--- you are "spinning your wheels". " One "Burns rubber", but it doesn't get one anywhere.
The Quran claims that Jesus didn't die on the Cross. Therefore, his source doesn't use the word symbolic, but relies on its other claims---that of "corruption of the Scriptures".

Is that any different from that the serpent told Eve? Or that the wicked population was mocking Noah with? Or that the citizens of Sodom and Gomorrah scoffed at the warning Angels/GOD concerning their destruction?

The "corrupting of the Scriptures" wasn't by the people of GOD, but by those who "professed to be HIS Chosen people" and that has been the M.O. for all who choose not to Believe that which GOD has revealed to mankind by inspired prophets. AND Gabriel didn't revert to lying to Mohammad.(The messages he claimed to receive are the corrupt ones.)-------Again, all who choose to believe have Options---Truth vs. falseness--

The Bible declares on the third day Jesus Christ was resurrected.
The Quran shouts "myth", "corruption".
ALL are to take their pick.