• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Math question

Kerr

Hi all.

Have a BIG test tomorrow and I am puzzed at a math thing. Why is 2 the limit of x*(e^(2/x)-1)?

At least thats what mathematica says and I want to understand why. I mean, I have noticed a pattern.
x*(e^(2/x)-1) -> 2 when x->infinity
x*(e^(3/x)-1)-> 3 when x->infinity
x*(e^(4/x)-1) -> 4 when x->infinity
x*(e^(5/x)-1) -> 5 when x->infinity
x*(e^(2382/x)-1) -> 2382 when x->infinity

It seems like x*(e^(a/x)-1)-> a when x->infinity.

Why?

Take care,
Kerr.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Allow me to ask if this is correct. You are saying that

mimetex.cgi

and more generally,

mimetex.cgi

and you want to know why that is so. Is that right? Not trying to be a smart aleck. I just happened to have a LaTex tool at hand and I find that it can be a real help in such situations.

I do not actually know the answer, nor whether the premise is correct. I will attempt to find out, though. No promises, I fear.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Okay, here is what I found so far.

According to The Number e,

mimetex.cgi

I believe you can go from there to

mimetex.cgi

although I do not yet know how.

Last edited:

Kerr

Allow me to ask if this is correct. You are saying that

mimetex.cgi

and more generally,

mimetex.cgi

and you want to know why that is so. Is that right? Not trying to be a smart aleck. I just happened to have a LaTex tool at hand and I find that it can be a real help in such situations.

I do not actually know the answer, nor whether the premise is correct. I will attempt to find out, though. No promises, I fear.
Lol, yeah, I wish I knew how to write it in a more mathematical way :p. But you are correct. I did look it up, and you can solve it by setting t = a / x and then do this:

lim[x->Infinity] x*(e^(a/x)-1) = lim[t->0] a*(e^t-1)/t

And then you can use a standard limit thing that says that (e^x-1)/x -> 1 when x -> 0. But that doesnt make me understand why the first one didnt work. So, basically, now I wish to know why I needed to make a variable substitution. Because when I look at the original one I get:

lim[x->Infinity] x*(e^(a/x)-1) = Infinity

Or something. I dont know. Its odd because (e^(a/x)-1) -> 0 while x ->infinity, and I am not sure what to make of that. Probably I could make it easier for myself by just trying to learn the standard limit things and apply them without thought, but my brain wants to understand :p.

Kerr

Okay, here is what I found so far.

According to The Number e,

mimetex.cgi

I believe you can go from there to

mimetex.cgi

although I do not yet know how.
Yeah, it might have something to do with it. I just dont have the time to explore it. As I said, major test tomorrow, its better to fail at many then succeed at one because then I have gotten more exposure to math :p.

Let A be any real value.
Let S=x*(e^(A/x)-1), then since
e^y= 1+y + y²/2! + y³/3!..+y^n/n! + ....

S= x*((A/x) + (A/x)A/2! + (A/x)³/3!..+(A/x)^n/n! + ....
= x*((A/x) + (A/x)²/2! + (A/x)³/3!..+ ....
= A + (A²/2x) +(A³/6x²) + ...

as x->∞, all the terms on the RHS tend to zero except the first term, leaving A as the limit.

Last edited:

Kerr

Let A be any real value.
Let S=x*(e^(A/x)-1), then since

as x->∞, all the terms on the RHS tend to zero except the first term, leaving A as the limit.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
then since

This is the series expansion if y=0. In general,
gif.latex

I agree that the obvious thing to do is use the properties of e here and factor out the constant, but I'm not sure (it's hard to read the series notation in that form) if the above is true or whether it assumes y=0 without getting us to a point where we can make y=0. Either way, it may be simpler to substitute another function in for y that allows us to use L'Hopital's.

Let x= 1/k. Then the limit becomes

gif.latex

Now we have an indeterminate form of the type lim as x-> infinity f(x) / g(x) and we can apply L'Hopital's and get

gif.latex

Factor out the constant
gif.latex

Now we can make "y" (i.e., k) equal to 0 by factoring out the 2 in the exponent:

gif.latex

This leaves us with the constant you gave above (which, in this case, is 2).