• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Math Association Quiz

What is the answer?

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Using the example below, calculate the answer:

math1.jpg

Vote before scrolling down. No cheating!

That means you! :)

Last edited:

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
For those that did not say 14, don't feel bad. 90% of people do not get it right the first time seeing it.

Scott C.

Just one guy
The answer can't be determined from the provided information. Folks are making false assumptions about the meaning of the pictures used as variables in these equations. Take this for example:

X + X = 8
Therefore, X = 4

This implies that 1/2 X = 2.

The fact that the variable "X" = 4 does not imply that the variable represented by the symbol "/" = 2, nor does it imply that the variable "\"= 2. Note that if you put these two symbols together, they form an X.

Think about it. :)

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
The answer can't be determined from the provided information. Folks are making false assumptions about the meaning of the pictures used as variables in these equations. Take this for example:

X + X = 8
Therefore, X = 4

This implies that 1/2 X = 2.

The fact that the variable "X" = 4 does not imply that the variable represented by the symbol "/" = 2, nor does it imply that the variable "\"= 2. Note that if you put these two symbols together, they form an X.

Think about it. :)

Yes actually, it can. Don't try and cover up you not selecting 14. :D:p

Scott C.

Just one guy
Yes actually, it can. Don't try and cover up you not selecting 14. :D:p

Nope! HAHA. Sticking to my guns. A picture of a cluster of 4 bananas which = 4, does not mean that a picture of a cluster of 3 bananas = 3. That is totally incorrect mathematical notation. It's the first thing that jumped out to me as wrong! However, I did play along, with the understanding that someone was very sloppy in the notation and I knew what he meant. I admit that I missed the fact that a banana was missing from the last equation which caused me to get the "wrong" answer. However, it was painful to even proceed on the assumption that we can determine the value of an altered picture based on the original picture.

Also think of this.

X = 3
XX =?

By the banana cluster logic, XX = 6, since we "added" an X to the picture. But in reality XX= (X)(X) = 9.

HAHA

Liu

Which missing pieces? The bananas and coconut halves are just shown from a different angle in the last row ;) Therefore, 16 remains correct.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I answered that I don't know.
But that was before I saw the problem to solve!
Then I got 16.
I didn't notice the double coconuts.

I blame it on old age induced low testosterone levels.
Used to pay more attention to the coconuts.