• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Materialists: what else will you accept as true with equal evidence/reasoning?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
So first, let's look at the properties of the materialist position.

1. There is only one piece of evidence, being that doing things to the brain affects the mind. Yet even this is not evidence, for it is expected also in the contradictory positions of Dualism and idealism.

2. It violates logic. In the mind and body having different properties, reducing one to the other violates the law of identity. Self consciosness is also all we can know with certainty, and our knowledge of matter relies on it. So reducing consciousness to matter violates true knowledge

3. It violates science. For instance we can scientifically verify property Dualism between mind and brain, the mind also affecting the brain, and even the rise of higher consciousness in the Upper Paleolithic Revolution.

In short, it has one piece of evidence not specific to it, and violates reason and evidence.

So let's look at similar positions.

1. Flat Earth.
Evidence: I don't see a curve to the Earth
Reasoning: doesn't matter
Science: doesn't matter

Materialists, do you accept flat Earth?

2. Watchmaker.
Evidence: if the universe were slightly different life as we know it could not exist.
Reasoning: they actually provide some but why's it matter?
Science: isn't the evidence above enough?!

Materialists, do you accept the watchmaker argument?

siti

I agree and disagree with you as follows:

There is only one piece of evidence
Correct - they call it variously "the universe", "reality", "the cosmos" or "nature". Its a pretty compelling piece of evidence though.

It violates science.
Does it. Then present a single piece of scientific evidence that refutes materialism...just one will do.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So first, let's look at the properties of the materialist position.

1. There is only one piece of evidence, being that doing things to the brain affects the mind. Yet even this is not evidence, for it is expected also in the contradictory positions of Dualism and idealism.

2. It violates logic. In the mind and body having different properties, reducing one to the other violates the law of identity. Self consciosness is also all we can know with certainty, and our knowledge of matter relies on it. So reducing consciousness to matter violates true knowledge

3. It violates science. For instance we can scientifically verify property Dualism between mind and brain, the mind also affecting the brain, and even the rise of higher consciousness in the Upper Paleolithic Revolution.

In short, it has one piece of evidence not specific to it, and violates reason and evidence.

So let's look at similar positions.

1. Flat Earth.
Evidence: I don't see a curve to the Earth
Reasoning: doesn't matter
Science: doesn't matter

Materialists, do you accept flat Earth?

2. Watchmaker.
Evidence: if the universe were slightly different life as we know it could not exist.
Reasoning: they actually provide some but why's it matter?
Science: isn't the evidence above enough?!

Materialists, do you accept the watchmaker argument?

I am not a materialist, but this is a distorted convoluted argument that is not in touch with the basic knowledge of science.