• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Materialists don't value life all that much

The Transcended Omniverse

People who don't want to live forever do not value life all that much. If they are willing to sacrifice a belief in an eternal afterlife for something else, then they do not value life all that much. Because if they did, then they would want to live forever. They would want to believe in an eternal afterlife. Therefore, the fact that they would want to sacrifice such a belief means they grow tired eventually and wish to just forever remain dead.

But a person who values life so profoundly would never want that taken away from them. They would want life to last forever. They would want to believe in an eternal blissful afterlife. So the fact that I have such a strong desire to live forever just goes to show you how much I value living and being happy. That makes me much more of a person than any materialist who would be willing to give up their belief in the eternal blissful afterlife.

Edit: If a person gives up their comforting belief of living forever for the sake of what is true, then it means they value the truth more than they do living life itself. If they valued living life itself, then they would want to believe that they would live forever regardless if it is true or not.

Last edited:

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
The belief in an afterlife does not define how much one values life. Does a person who believes that their cubbord will never empty value food more than a person who knows that their supply is limited? I would argue that a person who knows that their supply is limited values their food (or their life) more since they know eventually it will run out. They have to make it last and make it count.

Onyx

Premium Member
I never understood what is so wrong with enjoying the pleasures of life. I've found that satisfying basic natural desires actually helps to keep unrealistic delusions of grandeur in check, and frees my mind so I can focus on helping people or do a better job at work.

From the Satanic Bible:
The watchword of Satanism is indulgence instead of “abstinence” . . . but -- it is not
“compulsion.”

The belief in an afterlife does not define how much one values life. Does a person who believes that their cubbord will never empty value food more than a person who knows that their supply is limited? I would argue that a person who knows that their supply is limited values their food (or their life) more since they know eventually it will run out. They have to make it last and make it count.
This is a different situation. I was saying that a person who is willing to sacrifice their belief that something can last forever in their lives does not value that said thing that much. Because if they did, they would want to believe that it would last forever. If they valued that said thing so much, then they would never want to give it up. They would always want it to be there.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
This is a different situation. I was saying that a person who is willing to sacrifice their belief that something can last forever in their lives does not value that said thing that much. Because if they did, they would want to believe that it would last forever. If they valued that said thing so much, then they would never want to give it up. They would always want it to be there.
Like @Jumi said, not believing does not mean not wanting.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
People who don't want to live forever do not value life all that much. If they are willing to sacrifice a belief in an eternal afterlife for something else, then they do not value life all that much. Because if they did, then they would want to live forever. They would want to believe in an eternal afterlife. Therefore, the fact that they would want to sacrifice such a belief means they grow tired eventually and wish to just forever remain dead.

Rubbish. How about you ask the people who don't want to live forever what their values are instead of making assumptions.

But a person who values life so profoundly would never want that taken away from them. They would want life to last forever. They would want to believe in an eternal blissful afterlife. So the fact that I have such a strong desire to live forever just goes to show you how much I value living and being happy. That makes me much more of a person than any materialist who would be willing to give up their belief in the eternal blissful afterlife.

Sure, okay. You're more than welcome to speak for yourself and hold to what you will. I would recommend being less judgmental towards those who are not you, however, and saying crap like "materialists" (by the way, people who reject the notion of an afterlife are not necessarily materialists) are lessers for their disagreement with you.

Like @Jumi said, not believing does not mean not wanting.
If a person gives up their comforting belief of living forever for the sake of what is true, then it means they value the truth more than they do living life itself. If they valued living life itself, then they would want to believe that they would live forever regardless if it is true or not.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Thanks for the chuckles.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is because I am only sure that I have this life that I value this life, rather than hoping for something that has no proof of happening. It is because I know this life will end that I celebrate and treasure life.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey I want to play the sweeping generalizations and assumptions game!

People who don't value life very much wish that it was greater than it is, or to supplement it with something after life which life is not. They can't appreciate this life so to cope they seek out something that is not life.

Hey I want to play the sweeping generalizations and assumptions game!

People who don't value life very much wish that it was greater than it is, or to supplement it with something after life which life is not. They can't appreciate this life so to cope they seek out something that is not life.
How does that make any sense? If you value something, then you would want to believe it lasts forever. You would never want it taken away from you and you would want to believe it lasts forever regardless if that is true or not. The fact that you would be willing to give up such a belief means you value the truth more than that said thing.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
How does that make any sense? If you value something, then you would want to believe it lasts forever. You would never want it taken away from you and you would want to believe it lasts forever regardless if that is true or not. The fact that you would be willing to give up such a belief means you value the truth more than that said thing.
You've spent a year lamenting that life isn't what you want it to be so maybe you need to grow up and get over it instead of constantly insisting life must be something different, something eternal, to have value. Love life for what it is. Not what it isn't.

You've spent a year lamenting that life isn't what you want it to be so maybe you need to grow up and get over it instead of constantly insisting life must be something different, something eternal, to have value. Love life for what it is. Not what it isn't.
That is a different situation besides this topic. That is a situation to be worked out with my therapist. This situation I am talking about is a person valuing the truth more than that said thing.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That is a different situation besides this topic. That is a situation to be worked out with my therapist. This situation I am talking about is a person valuing the truth more than that said thing.
You keep insisting that. But it's not true to me or to materialists I know. Eternity isn't what life is. So if I did what you're doing then I'm not valuing what life is more by pretending it's something it's not. I'm just substituting something else for life.

blue taylor

Edit: If a person gives up their comforting belief of living forever for the sake of what is true, then it means they value the truth more than they do living life itself. If they valued living life itself, then they would want to believe that they would live forever regardless if it is true or not.
It is not life that materialist do not value, but an afterlife. You do not live forever, you die. The term "eternal life" is a term that is in fact a lie. No living thing lives forever, no matter what. Why would anyone want to live this life only for the vain hope that they would be rewarded with eternal life, which does not exist for any living thing?