• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masturbation proves many Christians don't believe what they profess

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Frankly, I never felt masturbation was a sin, especially since whom is harmed by it? Beats looking for sheep.

A Vestigial Mote

I was pointing out that not all Christians even believe it is a sin, so that's one reason why this hardly applies to all Christians. I added that sentence as an afterthought after I made the post.
But regardless whether or not it is a sin, whether or not you would masturbate knowing God was watching is at issue... not even Christian's thoughts about what God thinks of masturbation! Regardless what God thinks about masturbation, would you masturbate in front of Him knowing He was watching? Would a Christian, do you think? If the answer is "no" then we have an issue with the numbers, as the OP pointed out. Of the numbers that overlap in the 92% masturbators and 65% Christians, if a percentage of Christians in that subset would claim that "God sees/knows all" and would also answer that they wouldn't masturbate right in front of God, then there is your problem set who display (as the OP pointed out) that they very likely don't even believe their own religious blathering. Again - this is regardless what God thinks about masturbation.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think many Christians don't know how to explain this but intuitively know what I'm about to explain:

So what is more likely; American Christian men do not really masturbate, or the claim that Christians make about honestly believing their God is watching us all at times is not only incorrect, but their actions indicate they don't actually believe it themselves?
God to Christians is everywhere and we live in God, so 'Watching' doesn't quite have the meaning that it sounds like. Christian canon says "In him we live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28) not "He is watching you." Its questionable whether God is watching when you wipe your bum any more than when you are sleeping. The way that people think of God varies, and some think God talks to them directly while others don't.

I'm speaking specifically to American Christian men & women.
So..."Every person's work will be tested with fire." (paraphrase of (1 Corinthians 3:15ish) Its a scripture verse interpreted various ways. That which you do which has no value is worthless. The Christian ought not to waste time but ought to at all times be working. From this perspective wasting time in any fashion is about equally as sinful or stupid as masturbation, and God who has no human parts probably cares no more for one waste of time over another.

So I'd say while your question sounds shocking its actually missing most of the worse things Christians do such as waste time on video games or on TV or over eating etc.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The 92% of males who masturbate, would never, under any circumstances masturbate directly in front of their actual father
Quite a few on RF claim that humans are animals

Hence, above is not true

upload_2021-7-22_20-32-55.png

Psalm23

The topic of masturbation is not addressed in the Bible. There are different opinions on whether or not it is sin. Some believe only in certain situations it is wrong. Some do not believe it is wrong.

I think there is a lot of unnecessary shame that some experience over masturbation.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I don't necessarily care, just sharing the data. Seems to me if the data is correct, then it points out something rather interesting. When people profess their beliefs, I guess sometimes they are saying what they think they are supposed to say according to their religion, rather than what they really actually believe? I don't know.

So, are you under the impression that Christians claim to be sinless? Maybe a few but the majority acknowledge that they do sin, and of course masturbating would fall into that category, if accompanied by lust.
We all know God knows everything we do.
The more pressing question is who goes around asking people if they masturbate?
Those are the perverts I'm worried about.

A Vestigial Mote

Masturbation proves many Christians don't believe what they profess
Not true

But it's a good observation, because on the Spiritual Path it's paramount that our thoughts, words and deeds are one
In the end, if one would agree that they believe that God sees and knows all, and would answer that they would not masturbate in front of God, but answer that they do masturbate, then that person - whoever they are, and whatever else they believe - is holding conflicting beliefs. I have seen a great many examples of this kind of cognitive dissonance in play - and it tends to be something that rears its head very often when one holds beliefs that are informed by a source external to themselves.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Sorry, I couldn't get passed connecting masturbation and moonjuice.

That's immature brain... stop it. :mad:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
So, are you under the impression that Christians claim to be sinless? Maybe a few but the majority acknowledge that they do sin, and of course masturbating would fall into that category, if accompanied by lust.
So, is masturbating without lust OK? And whatever is masturbating without lust?

Ciao

- viole

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
In the end, if one would agree that they believe that God sees and knows all, and would answer that they would not masturbate in front of God, but answer that they do masturbate, then that person - whoever they are, and whatever else they believe - is holding conflicting beliefs. I have seen a great many examples of this kind of cognitive dissonance in play - and it tends to be something that rears its head very often when one holds beliefs that are informed by a source external to themselves.
Every human being sometimes acts contrary to his or her beliefs.

stvdv

I agree with that of course. I think there are many conflicting beliefs, esp. when it comes to sex and 'church'; even some priests go 'crazy' there

Last edited:

stvdv

Maybe everyone else is masturbating in front of their parents, and I'm the only one who finds that thought repulsive.
Repulsive indicates you have some unnatural emotional imbalance here (someone put this idea in your mind). I mean if 92% do it, doing it should definitely not be repulsive. And to feel shame (repulsive) for something which is natural to humans (according to OP) is not healthy

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
It's because God is very forbearing, and people take advantage of it. They know his compassion and forgiveness is a lot.

Yet you are right in that all sins stem from lack of shame from God's sight.

إِلٰهِي انَا عَبْدٌ اتَنَصَّلُ إِلَيْكَ مِمَّا كُنْتُ اوَاجِهُكَ بِهِ
ilahi ana `abdun atanassalu ilayka mimma kuntu uwajihuka bihi
O my God, I am, being Your servant, disowning all that with which I used to face You;

مِنْ قِلَّةِ ٱسْتِحْيَائِي مِنْ نَظَرِكَ
min qillati istihya'i min nazarika
that stemmed from my little shame from your watch,

وَاطْلُبُ ٱلْعَفْوَ مِنْكَ إِذ ِٱلْعَفْوُ نَعْتٌ لِكَرَمِكَ
wa atlubu al`afwa minka idh al`afwu na`tun likaramika
and I am hereby appealing for Your pardon since pardon is one feature of Your generosity.

إِلٰهِي لَمْ يَكُنْ لِي حَوْلٌ فَانْتَقِلَ بِهِ عَنْ مَعْصِيَتِكَ
ilahi lam yakun li hawlun fa-antaqila bihi `an ma`siyatika
O my God, I had no strength by which I would rid myself of the acts of disobedience to You

إِلاَّ فِي وَقْتٍ ايْقَظْتَنِي لَِمحَبَّتِكَ
illa fi waqtin ayqaztani limahabbatika
except after You aroused me to love You

Part of Munajal Shabanniya taught by Imam Ali (a).
Does this mean you're not supposed to jerk off? Hard to tell with all that flowery back and forth action..Anyway, if I had to think that every time, I sure wouldn't bother with it anymore. Talk about a mood killer