• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Master's in Physics After Computer Science

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It would be difficult to become an expert in both disciplines. After I got my degree in Computer Science I considered doing course work in other science fields. Instead I self-taught myself the basics of the applications I worked with and focused on advanced post graduate work in Computer Science. I reasoned that I would rely on the subject matter experts and learn just the principles of the applications. That approach worked well for me in positions where I worked with engineers and scientists from many disciplines including physicists. Each field has knowledge bases that are growing exponentially. I don't think it is possible to be an expert in more than one. The physicists need computing professionals that understand the details of computer science and enough physics to be able to understand what they want and can "speak their language". I suggest focusing on computer science and only supplementing with basic courses in physics. You will, no doubt, pick up more physics on the job from the experts more efficiently than taking the full load of physics curriculum.

I really appreciate the info from your personal experience. Thanks!

My goal (so far, at least) is not to shift into becoming a full-blown physicist, but it's also not to merely be a programmer for physicists without having further insight into their field. I would like to combine a bit of both, if that makes sense.

From your own career experience, would you say a bachelor's in physics would suffice, or are you talking about courses even more basic than a bachelor's?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
All physicist I know or have heard of write their own programs. I don't know it but my guess is that everyone working in software at CERN has a physics degree and no-one has a CS degree.

A friend's colleague (from my country) recently got hired for a software job at CERN. He doesn't have a degree in physics; I think he landed a position strictly related to programming. I suspect a full-time programming position there involves much more than merely writing programs for physicists.

These are the vacancies listed on CERN's website:

Job Search | Careers at CERN

As you can see, they include openings for a data scientist, software engineer, and data-center engineer.

Jedster

Thank you so much! That's a very helpful link. It looks like admission needs residence in England, so I wouldn't be able to enrol now. It's encouraging to see that the entry requirements aren't very far from some of the skills I already have, though.

I am disappointed to hear this. When I studied there (1960s & 80s) there were students from all over , including the Arab world.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The extensive use of math is the main reason I'm looking into such a research career. I believe I have a decent chance of comfortably grasping the required math, especially since I already have a nice head start in the basics (calculus, linear algebra, trigonometry, and statistics, mainly). I'm sure some parts may require a lot of effort or even be a hassle, but what career doesn't involve some hassles nowadays? At least I'd be doing something I loved.
In that case it sounds like an excellent choice for you.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Thank you so much! That's a very helpful link. It looks like admission needs residence in England, so I wouldn't be able to enroll now. It's encouraging to see that the entry requirements aren't very far from some of the skills I already have, though.
Are you sure? Most UK universities accept international students. In fact they value them as an additional source of income. The web page for Imperial seems to be this one:

Undergraduate | Study | Imperial College London

It's true there is a stupid fight currently going on in government, between the intelligent and pragmatic Education minister and our bigoted and half-witted Home Secretary (= interior minister), who sees overseas students as "immigrants" to be kept out. (Even though she herself is of Indian heritage: "Keep the bloody foreigners out! Oh, and pass the pappadoms.":rolleyes:)

But for now, there does not seem to be any requirement to be a UK resident, so far as I am aware. My son, who is currently studying at St. Andrew's in Scotland, says about 25% of the undergraduates are Americans, as the fees are lower than at comparable US universities.

Imperial is one of the best STEM-oriented universities in Britain, and indeed in Europe: League tables

(I went to a rival institution, by the way.;)).

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I am disappointed to hear this. When I studied there (1960s & 80s) there were students from all over , including the Arab world.

Are you sure? Most UK universities accept international students. In fact they value them as an additional source of income. The web page for Imperial seems to be this one:

Undergraduate | Study | Imperial College London

It's true there is a stupid fight currently going on in government, between the intelligent and pragmatic Education minister and our bigoted and half-witted Home Secretary (= interior minister), who sees overseas students as "immigrants" to be kept out. (Even though she herself is of Indian heritage: Keep the bloody foreigners out! Oh, and pass the pappadoms.":rolleyes:)

But for now, there does not seem to be any requirement to be a UK resident, so far as I am aware. My son, who is currently studying at St. Andrew's in Scotland, says about 25% of the undergraduates are Americans, as the fees are lower than at comparable US universtities.)

I was looking at the wrong page. I goofed there. The residence requirement is for "contextual admission," which is a different approach from how I would apply.

The fees are quite steep, though, so I may have to save up for a few years or get a scholarship. They also ask for a 3.5/4 or equivalent GPA. I don't have that: I got straight A's and A*'s in mathematics courses but had an average overall grade. (I had a lot of issues when I was in university.)

I think the GPA requirement may matter less with work experience, which doubles the usefulness of the latter because I'll need to save up either way. :D

I'm looking at many different universities, though. I know the UK is a bit expensive compared to a lot of countries, and this is a highly prestigious institution to boot.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I was looking at the wrong page. I goofed there. The residence requirement is for "contextual admission," which is a different approach from how I would apply.

The fees are quite steep, though, so I may have to save up for a few years or get a scholarship. They also ask for a 3.5/4 or equivalent GPA. I don't have that: I got straight A's and A*'s in mathematics courses but had an average overall grade. (I had a lot of issues when I was in university.)

I think the GPA requirement may matter less with work experience, which doubles the usefulness of the latter because I'll need to save up either way. :D

I'm looking at many different universities, though. I know the UK is a bit expensive compared to a lot of countries, and this is a highly prestigious institution to boot.
Yes, cost of course can be a big constraint, that's clear.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, cost of course can be a big constraint, that's clear.

You can bet I won't stop looking. If all are too expensive, then the next step is to catch up via work. :D

This really wouldn't be remotely close to how difficult it was to push through all of the issues I had and finish my undergraduate degree. I'm feeling a lot more in control now.

chlotilde

Madame Curie
A friend's colleague (from my country) recently got hired for a software job at CERN. He doesn't have a degree in physics; I think he landed a position strictly related to programming. I suspect a full-time programming position there involves much more than merely writing programs for physicists.

These are the vacancies listed on CERN's website:

Although not quite the same, the US has something similar at Fermilab (in IL)
This website lists all the US sponsored national labs to give you a feel for the types of jobs out there.
The National Laboratories | U.S. Powerhouses of Science and Technology

chlotilde

Madame Curie
I never got over the experience of putting in a program to run overnight, and getting it back next day to find it had not run because I had put a semicolon instead of a colon somewhere. Infuriating.

lol, same. add to that, I worked at a large Lockheed Martin Campus that I'd have a 15 min walk to get to the Computer building.

Then I'd have to take the fortran data and write a speakeasy (precursor to Matlab) program to graph it. When Excel came along, life was so much easier, and although it didn't do calculus at first, you could copy and paste enough times to get the job done.

exchemist

Veteran Member
lol, same. add to that, I worked at a large Lockheed Martin Campus that I'd have a 15 min walk to get to the Computer building.

Then I'd have to take the fortran data and write a speakeasy (precursor to Matlab) program to graph it. When Excel came along, life was so much easier, and although it didn't do calculus at first, you could copy and paste enough times to get the job done.
Indeed the advent of personal computers and calculators has transformed the experience. My first experience with a desktop computer was at work in Dubai, in about 1985, using a spreadsheet called Multiplan.

I went through university with a slide rule, with mechanical calculating machines for operations requiring more than 3 sig figs, which lived in a calculator room at the physical chemistry lab. We had to use a computer for FTIR, to unscramble the Fourier transform using something called the Cooley-Tukey (not turkey) algorithm. Apart from that I avoided them.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I have lately been looking into the requirements for different master's programs in physics (especially theoretical physics), and from what I have read so far, it seems that someone with a computer science degree can opt for some of the physics programs.

This would be quite a long-term plan, but I have been looking into this because I would love to end up working a software-related job in a research field (e.g., working in software at CERN). Does anyone here have any information or stories to share about this kind of career path?
Firstly, good luck. That is amazing.

I don't know anyone who has taken this particular path but I'm sure it is doable. Have you done a lot of undergrad physics?

Audie

Veteran Member
I have lately been looking into the requirements for different master's programs in physics (especially theoretical physics), and from what I have read so far, it seems that someone with a computer science degree can opt for some of the physics programs.

This would be quite a long-term plan, but I have been looking into this because I would love to end up working a software-related job in a research field (e.g., working in software at CERN). Does anyone here have any information or stories to share about this kind of career path?
Don't stop at Masters.

FwiW. most of the Chunese grad students in
USA, that I knew, found way to stay.
At one point I was also intending to stay.