• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masterbation?

yuvgotmel

Genesis 38:1~11: Around this time, Judah left his brothers. He became friends with a man of Adullam by the name of Chirah. There Judah met the daughter of a merchant named Shua. He married her and came to her.

She became pregnant and had a son. She named him Onan. She gave birth once again to a son, and she named him Shelah. [Judah] was in Keziv when she gave birth to [this child].

Judah took a wife for Er his first-born, and her name was Tamar. Judah’s first-born Er was evil in God’s eyes, and God made him die. Judah said to Onan, ‘Marry your brother’s wife, and thus fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to her. You will then raise children to keep your brother’s [name] alive. Onan, however, realized that the children would not carry his name. Therefore, whenever he came to his brother’s wife, he let [the seed] go to waste on the ground, so as not to have children in his brother’s name. What he did was evil in God’s eyes, and He also made him die.

Judah said to his daughter-in-law Tamar, ‘Live as a widow in your father’s house until my son Shelah is grown.’ He was putting her off because he was concerned that [Shelah], too, would die like his brothers. Tamar left and lived in her father’s house.
Now if that story sounds hokey to you, then it is as it should be. Does God really kill people for masturbating? No. However, what the story entails has a far greater mystical meaning of two becoming one flesh, as seen from Genesis 2:24. And it gives a deeper meaning to Genesis 32, when Jacob wrestled with an angel. And it also describes how the ‘sons of god’ were able to come to the daughters of man, as seen in Genesis 6.

On a lighter note, with less mysticism, a friend of mine said that he was upset because his wife wouldn't have sex with him. So he went to his rabbi for advice; and the rabbi told him, "Well you can masturbate can't you?"

There are varying interpretations of the scriptures above. Most of the interpretations are very physically-oriented and meant to deter masturbation over sexual procreation, in order for survival of the race/religion. And maritial relations are considred a great mitzvah (blessing).

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Jonathan Rex said:
I asked this same question in the Islam forum. Is there a law against masterbation?

I know that in Christianity you're not supposed to do it.
Pure dogma my friend.

athanasius

Mister_T said:
Pure dogma my friend.

Check out the CCC on this subject. It does well to explain the theological, and reasonable explantions for this topic, its relevance to Chrsitians and its relationship with the Christian faithful as whole. Paragraph 2352, pages 564-565.

yuvgotmel

athanasius said:
Check out the CCC on this subject. It does well to explain the theological, and reasonable explantions for this topic, its relevance to Chrsitians and its relationship with the Christian faithful as whole. Paragraph 2352, pages 564-565.

I thought this post was listed under Judaism.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
athanasius said:
I've done my reasearch. Including researching the Bible itself. I'll check it out, but I highly doubt that it'll present something that I haven't heard before.

Hacker

I've always wondered this too..Is there versus(s) in the bible that supposively prohibit such practice?

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
It's more of a broad prohibition against coitus interuptus and ha-sh'cha'tat zerah (destruction of the seed). In Genesis 38 we find it.

8. So Judah said to Onan, "Come to your brother's wife and perform the rite of the levirate, and raise up progeny for your brother."
9. Now Onan knew that the progeny would not be his, and it came about, when he came to his brother's wife, he wasted [his semen] on the ground, in order not to give seed to his brother.
10. Now what he did was evil in the eyes of the Lord, and He put him to death also.

[FONT=&quot]While there is no outright prohibition for women it is also in the area of impure thoughts. [/FONT]

yuvgotmel

Tlcmel said:
I've always wondered this too..Is there versus(s) in the bible that supposively prohibit such practice?
:) Hey Mel!

Yes, the story (excerpted above) and the post by NoahideHiker are the verses that are interpreted to speak about masturbation. Those are the only known verses (to my knowledge) with such clear definition on the matter. And, from my view, even those verses allude to a very mystical code and not a literal meaning.

Mister_T said:
Pure dogma my friend.

"If you even look at a woman with lust in your eyes, then you've commited adultery with her in your heart." - Yeshua (Jesus)

How can you masterbate without thinking of something?

According to Christ, it would be wrong.

Can we get back to the topic though? This is the Judaism forum. I'm not concerned with Christianity's views. Christians don't really agree with one another on anything.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Jonathan Rex said:
Can we get back to the topic though? This is the Judaism forum. I'm not concerned with Christianity's views. Christians don't really agree with one another on anything.

Then why did you mention Christ?

Booko

Deviled Hen
*** MOD POST ***

Hi guys...as a couple of users have pointed out, yes this is the Judaism area.

Please try to stay on topic. Thanks!

Well referring to the verse, which is one i contemplated when i was much younger, the waste of the seed was wrong in gods eyes. There for any seed not left inside a woman would be considered to be against god?

I don't subscribe to that anymore, but in my youth that is what i deducted

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Booko said:
*** MOD POST ***

Hi guys...as a couple of users have pointed out, yes this is the Judaism area.

Please try to stay on topic. Thanks!
Sorry Sharon. Didn't realize this was a Judaism thread.

Ben_Elohim_Yah

I would think so...i'll explain why. To understand the Spirit you must Know what the Spirit is. In so knowing the Spirit one will begin to understand the "Laws of Creation". To understand the "Laws of Creation" One must Listen to the words of Yahweh and the Yahshua. The Holy Spirit or Spirit of Creation is Eternal. Creation over seeds all in this universe it is above all in the universe, above man, above God, and above all else. Yahwehs laws are just and in accordance with the Laws of Creation. As all things that exist have souls, all come from the Spirit. When we die our souls return to the spirit. Along with all we have learned from this life. The Spirit is ever growing in knowlegde Perfecting itself each time one is brought back.
The Spirit is Truth and all that is Good, and like how your computer has an anti-virus so does the Spirit. Look at it like this, When returning to the Spirit, The Spirit will see wether the Spirit returning has progressed in knowledge and done right by its Laws or pursued wickedness and learned nothing. The Spirit of Creation will then decide if the Spirit has Learned from its mistakes and been truthful in the persuit of Knowledge and the life it was given, Deciding wether to cast that part of the Spirit out and burn it, or let it return to the Spirit. Human Spirits can Not be destroyed but can be Punished by the Spirit for disobeying Its will. Masturbation falls under the "Laws of Creation" here is how. Your Seed is Life! The Force given to the body from the Spirit. Your seed is to be used to create new life so that another part of the Spirit can Learn what it can and return. When humans masterbate they take that Life force which is givin to us to create new life for the Spirit and destroy it. In so letting your seed fall and die you are going against the will of the Spirit, which is to use your seed to create, not to glorify the body and destroy the seed. Here are some verses from the TJ where Jesus-Yahshua-Jmmanuel Speaks of the Spirit and the Laws of Creation-:angel2:
“But the laws of Creation are the laws of life and the spirit, therefore they are eternal and constant.” (TJ23:43)
“Within itself, Creation is pure spirit and therefore infinite power, because it is one within itself, and nothing exists outside of it.” (TJ21:28)
Jmmanuel preached powerfully, saying, “Behold, Creation stands above humanity, above god and above everything.” (TJ34:1)
“Truly, I say to you, a love that is unlimited, constant and unfailing is unconditional and is a pure love, in whose fire all that is impure and evil will burn. Such a love is Creation’s love ...” (TJ32:39-40)
“Commandments and laws are valuable only when they are derived from wisdom, and hence are logical.” (TJ26:11)
“... no one knows the secret of Creation, not even one person, and therefore neither god nor his followers.” (TJ11:29)
“... and the power of the Creational spirit within humans embodies life.” (TJ10:7)
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]“Since Creation is spirit and thus lives, even it must forever perfect itself.” (TJ34:3)[/FONT]
“But since it is one within itself, it can perfect itself by way of its own creations, through the generation of new spirit forms that dwell within humans, give them life, and evolve toward perfection through their learning.” (TJ 34:4)
“The spirit of each person is created specifically for the task of perfecting itself and gaining wisdom.” (TJ21:25)
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]“The material life is limited, but the life of the spirit lasts forever...” (TJ34:22)[/FONT]
“Only through the circumstances of human life can humans develop and use their Creational powers in consciousness and in spirit.” (TJ32:25)
Most Important***-“When one makes a mistake that serves the insight, knowledge, and progress of the spirit, there is no punishment, neither in this life nor in any subsequent life.” (TJ18:52)
“Through these laws and directives, which represent Creation, humankind in its irrationality will bring cruel judgment upon itself.” (TJ25:47):thud: quoted From the Lord Yashua-Jesus-Jmmanuel Himself- Ref From Talmud Jmmanuel- a Holy Book found in a cave that was written in the days that the Yahshua walked the earth- Research It... Learn the Laws of Creation...Do good, Pursue infromation, Treat other as you would be treated, Learn from your mistakes and strive not to repeat them in vain. In the end The Spirit will know! There is much from our current bible that was changed and tooken out by man. Learn the truth. Gods commandments are Just and True, and there for us to Follow because they are in accordance with the Laws of Creation themselves! Strive to perfect yourself and your soul... - Let NO man decieve you!

Now as i am speaking of the Yahshua on a judaism forum i know some are like why. Here is why, Its Not important all the in betweens of who was who Only the message is What matters! As my religion is a mix of judaism and christianity. Because when we fight and kill each other over ones beliefs, that is going against the Spirit and the reason we are here! Once we can over come all the aurguing and hatred only then can we achieve Spiritual Perfection!:yes:

Sorry this was so long but i have been sent to spread the Word of the Spirit...And if even one soul happens to read this and gain knowledge and understanding then my job has been done...Alleluyahew):)shout)(

Last edited:
I think this is a good article on masturbation and Judaism:

Pleasure Activism Australia - Kabbalah and Sex, part 2

Especially this quote:

The stupid part is that they called it the "Sin of Onan" without having the slightest clue of what Onan really did as reported in the Hebrew Bible. It had nothing to do with masturbation at all. Even the fact that he pulled out during sexual intercourse and spilled his semen in the sand, had nothing to do with it. His sin was theft. Onan broke the law of inheritance by refusing seed to his brother's wife. His Coitus Interruptus, not masturbation, was purely incidental to the act. Looking closer we notice Onan had stolen the inheritance that should have gone to his brother's children, since his brother died and did not have children. According Levirate Marriage laws, it was his duty to give offspring to his brother's wife, technically his sister-in-law, and the offspring would then be considered his brother's children and heirs. As there was no heir, Onan wanted to grab the property for himself, and therefore, strictly speaking, his sin was thieving from a dead man, and worst of all from his own brother.

The guy who wrote the article, Jacobus Swart is an Orthodox Jewish Kabbalist (I'm on his Kabbalah Yahoo group, and he definitely has studied a lot, and knows a lot about both the Kabbalah (including the non-Jewish traditions).

Levite

Higher and Higher
I think this is a good article on masturbation and Judaism:
Especially this quote:

The stupid part is that they called it the "Sin of Onan" without having the slightest clue of what Onan really did as reported in the Hebrew Bible. It had nothing to do with masturbation at all. Even the fact that he pulled out during sexual intercourse and spilled his semen in the sand, had nothing to do with it. His sin was theft. Onan broke the law of inheritance by refusing seed to his brother's wife. His Coitus Interruptus, not masturbation, was purely incidental to the act. Looking closer we notice Onan had stolen the inheritance that should have gone to his brother's children, since his brother died and did not have children. According Levirate Marriage laws, it was his duty to give offspring to his brother's wife, technically his sister-in-law, and the offspring would then be considered his brother's children and heirs. As there was no heir, Onan wanted to grab the property for himself, and therefore, strictly speaking, his sin was thieving from a dead man, and worst of all from his own brother.

This is roughly correct, although Onan's sin is not theft, it is both failure to perform his duty in levirate marriage, and in having sex with his brother's wife improperly. Normally, one is forbidden to have intercourse with one's in-laws, even if they are widowed; an exception is made in the case of levirate marriage, where the permission is granted specifically and only for the purpose of engendering children in the deceased brother's name. Onan's practice of the withdrawal method was both a flagrant flouting of the law, and a demonstration that his intercourse with her was solely for his own pleasure.

None of which has anything to do with masturbation.

The Torah does not forbid masturbation. End of story.

The Rabbis of the Talmud discouraged it, for two reasons: first, that any discharge of semen results in the man being ritually impure for 24 hours (or longer, if he does not immerse himself the mikveh, the ritual pool of living water), and the Rabbis thought that everyone ought to try and keep themselves in a state of high ritual purity. Second, that they believed that semen was ideally to be used in procreating, and that masturbation was "wasting the seed."

However, this Rabbinic prohibition has, historically, frequently been recognized as a weak prohibition, with very little halakhic support. Masturbation in Judaism has mostly been a "don't ask, don't tell" affair, though the ascetic mussar movement deeply discourages it, as something egotistical and impure, taking attention and focus away from God.

Orthodoxy today, which essentially refuses belief in the notion of a weak Rabbinic prohibition (more or less deeming them all uniformly strong), takes it as a matter of strict halakhah that a man is not permitted to masturbate, and doing so is giving in to the yetzer ha-ra, the Urge to do Evil.

Non-Orthodox Judaism has a number of opinions, but most believe that the issue of ritual impurity is moot, since there is no Temple anyhow, and ritual impurity only impacts whether or not one was able to enter the Temple precincts. And as for wasting seed, since nearly all authorities agree that having one child within the course of one's life qualifies one as having fulfilled the commandment to be fruitful and multiply, "wasting seed" is a non-issue, unless one is masturbating so compulsively as to be unable to impregnate anyone, ever. Most also seem to agree that a moderate and healthy expression of safe sexuality is not unduly giving in to the Urge to do Evil.

This is roughly correct, although Onan's sin is not theft, it is both failure to perform his duty in levirate marriage, and in having sex with his brother's wife improperly. Normally, one is forbidden to have intercourse with one's in-laws, even if they are widowed; an exception is made in the case of levirate marriage, where the permission is granted specifically and only for the purpose of engendering children in the deceased brother's name. Onan's practice of the withdrawal method was both a flagrant flouting of the law, and a demonstration that his intercourse with her was solely for his own pleasure.

None of which has anything to do with masturbation.

The Torah does not forbid masturbation. End of story.

The Rabbis of the Talmud discouraged it, for two reasons: first, that any discharge of semen results in the man being ritually impure for 24 hours (or longer, if he does not immerse himself the mikveh, the ritual pool of living water), and the Rabbis thought that everyone ought to try and keep themselves in a state of high ritual purity. Second, that they believed that semen was ideally to be used in procreating, and that masturbation was "wasting the seed."

However, this Rabbinic prohibition has, historically, frequently been recognized as a weak prohibition, with very little halakhic support. Masturbation in Judaism has mostly been a "don't ask, don't tell" affair, though the ascetic mussar movement deeply discourages it, as something egotistical and impure, taking attention and focus away from God.

Orthodoxy today, which essentially refuses belief in the notion of a weak Rabbinic prohibition (more or less deeming them all uniformly strong), takes it as a matter of strict halakhah that a man is not permitted to masturbate, and doing so is giving in to the yetzer ha-ra, the Urge to do Evil.

Non-Orthodox Judaism has a number of opinions, but most believe that the issue of ritual impurity is moot, since there is no Temple anyhow, and ritual impurity only impacts whether or not one was able to enter the Temple precincts. And as for wasting seed, since nearly all authorities agree that having one child within the course of one's life qualifies one as having fulfilled the commandment to be fruitful and multiply, "wasting seed" is a non-issue, unless one is masturbating so compulsively as to be unable to impregnate anyone, ever. Most also seem to agree that a moderate and healthy expression of safe sexuality is not unduly giving in to the Urge to do Evil.

Thanks for the explanation, that helps me understand it more, I couldn't find much good info on the internet, except for the above mentioned site I linked too.