• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Master Path - Gary Olsen

Sea_shell

...a drop in the ocean...
Welcome to RF Chloe. I would suggest you go back and read some of the earlier comments on this thread, many ex chelas have posted on this thread including at least one prolific poster who was still practicing MP. I would also suggest you visit the Buddhism DIR and Hinduism DIR as they discuss some of the underlying teachings that MP has borrowed and modified. If you've got to pay for a religious teaching, you are in a cult, true religious teaching is free for all souls if they are serious.

Aummmmm :)

Sea_shell

Hello ben d,
I've read with great interest parts of this lengthy thread and with much attention paid to the last pages of conversations. I'm looking to connect with other former students because I recently left masterpath after being a chela/student for over 20 years. For a good portion of that time it was the air that I breathed and the water that I drank. Yes, I had noticed "red flags" along the way (the bird flu is exactly how End_of_Faith quoted Gary's presentation, he changed rules and practices for the path and explained this as "evolving the path", there were contradictions in the things he talked about, these are just 3 examples). I didn't pick up on these clues for a long time. But when I became stronger in myself and clearer in my awareness, I DID notice. I started reading some of the blogs and threads which now seem to have disappeared. I transitioned off the path before notifying their office that I no longer wished follow it. At this time I have more sadness and not much anger and I am greatly dismayed at GO, JO, DH and now RS's level of deceit and manipulation of sincere people who seek more than what they have arrived at in their lives. The silver lining (so-to-speak) of this cloud for me is what I've gained of my own understanding of myself, self awareness and self in the world with others. I've gotten to know myself really well, all my patterns and believe I have gained much in personal strength. And it's now time to move on. I can only say this for myself... that I have learned what is real by learning what is not real. The Masterpath is a grand deception for a select few to gain from. I imagine their $$$ is hidden away in offshore accounts.

But as I said earlier, I would like to converse with former students (if anyone reads this thread anymore). My life did not fall apart when I left the path, there was no doom, gloom or mayhem that befell me (not what GO would have his students believe).

Thank you for listening,
Seashell
...but a drop in the ocean...

Chloe7

Welcome to RF Chloe. I would suggest you go back and read some of the earlier comments on this thread, many ex chelas have posted on this thread including at least one prolific poster who was still practicing MP. I would also suggest you visit the Buddhism DIR and Hinduism DIR as they discuss some of the underlying teachings that MP has borrowed and modified. If you've got to pay for a religious teaching, you are in a cult, true religious teaching is free for all souls if they are serious.

Aummmmm :)

Hi ben d and thank you for your welcoming and helpful post. I have been doing lots of reading from this forum and outside sources and just getting educated on the matter of MP and gurus in general.

I am shocked that many chelas on this thread became disillusioned and left only after 10 to 20 years. What a sacrifice of precious time. I understand what you wrote re paying for religious teachings but I think all the gurus do it, either thru monthly/yearly dues or expectation of tithing or donations. Either way they got you.

I struggle with other issues, the biggest one being the requirement for consuming love/ devotion to the "Outer" master not just the inner master. That we need to become identified with this so called perfect living outer master. First of all how do I know that the man G.O. is Perfect. He looks to be like the rest of us, just a mortal ego, having his own viewpoint and fallibilities. I have no desire to worship another ego. If the requirement was to devote to the infinite impersonal nature of the Shabda Master I would be more at ease.

Chloe7

Hello ben d,
I've read with great interest parts of this lengthy thread and with much attention paid to the last pages of conversations. I'm looking to connect with other former students because I recently left masterpath after being a chela/student for over 20 years. For a good portion of that time it was the air that I breathed and the water that I drank. Yes, I had noticed "red flags" along the way (the bird flu is exactly how End_of_Faith quoted Gary's presentation, he changed rules and practices for the path and explained this as "evolving the path", there were contradictions in the things he talked about, these are just 3 examples). I didn't pick up on these clues for a long time. But when I became stronger in myself and clearer in my awareness, I DID notice. I started reading some of the blogs and threads which now seem to have disappeared. I transitioned off the path before notifying their office that I no longer wished follow it. At this time I have more sadness and not much anger and I am greatly dismayed at GO, JO, DH and now RS's level of deceit and manipulation of sincere people who seek more than what they have arrived at in their lives. The silver lining (so-to-speak) of this cloud for me is what I've gained of my own understanding of myself, self awareness and self in the world with others. I've gotten to know myself really well, all my patterns and believe I have gained much in personal strength. And it's now time to move on. I can only say this for myself... that I have learned what is real by learning what is not real. The Masterpath is a grand deception for a select few to gain from. I imagine their $$$ is hidden away in offshore accounts.

But as I said earlier, I would like to converse with former students (if anyone reads this thread anymore). My life did not fall apart when I left the path, there was no doom, gloom or mayhem that befell me (not what GO would have his students believe).

Thank you for listening,
Seashell
Hi

Hi Sea_shell and thanks for your post. 20 years! Wow and ouch! I'm glad your doing well. I admit that one reason I don't leave is the threat that horrible things might happen for those that leave.

There are so many things I would like to ask you I don't know where to start. Did you ever meet GO if so what impression did you have. Have you seen the Radiant Form? Has It taken you on soul travel to other planes? forgive me I really don't mean to put you on the spot.

I know that some other chelas have posted that they get blissed out in mp. But charismatic Christians get really blissed out during worship services and healings and other miracles happen. This is just a download of higher energies in response to intense devotional worship. This is wonderful but still a far cry from Self/God realization which are the real goals. I was told that GO told his chelas to recruit more people because the larger the group the more energy is available to get people blissed out. This sounds wrong to me as if he were a true perfected master, the grace should flow thru him from the shabda master. Perhaps he isn't a sat guru at all but merely a good channel for higher energies.

Bye for now

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hi ben d and thank you for your welcoming and helpful post. I have been doing lots of reading from this forum and outside sources and just getting educated on the matter of MP and gurus in general.

I am shocked that many chelas on this thread became disillusioned and left only after 10 to 20 years. What a sacrifice of precious time. I understand what you wrote re paying for religious teachings but I think all the gurus do it, either thru monthly/yearly dues or expectation of tithing or donations. Either way they got you.

I struggle with other issues, the biggest one being the requirement for consuming love/ devotion to the "Outer" master not just the inner master. That we need to become identified with this so called perfect living outer master. First of all how do I know that the man G.O. is Perfect. He looks to be like the rest of us, just a mortal ego, having his own viewpoint and fallibilities. I have no desire to worship another ego. If the requirement was to devote to the infinite impersonal nature of the Shabda Master I would be more at ease.
Chloe7, there is an irony about learning and growing, and that is in order to correct errors, we have to become aware of them, and the only way we can become aware of them is to have actually made them. We each are what and who we are today as a result of all that has gone before, so there is no regret in having made a mistake or have been deceived, for as long as we have corrected that error, we have made progress towards the realization of our true nature.

Eventually the aspirant must learn what it is they are before than they can proceed to find out who they are. Religious institutions of any tradition are helpful to get started, but will actually get in the way eventually to the realization of the real goal, being one with source of our being. The source of our being is within us all, and the ultimate expression of that is to be Self realized, ie. to be one with the source. So when the aspirant is ready and awakens to the Guru within, they are on the path proper. It will be an initially a lonely and difficult journey involving surrendering the separative ego self to ultimate realization of the non-dual nature of the Supreme source within, self and Self become one...union.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hello ben d,

Thank you for listening,
Seashell
Glad to see you have made much progress in seeing through GO and his MP, and discerning the errors. As I said to Chloe7, error correction is what will lead us to the goal, not rituals and belief. The goal is forever on the other side of belief, teachings, etc., and its realization is through one's own journey, no one else can do it for you. The goal is the source of your being, and realization of the goal removes the apparent separation between the seeker and the goal which presently exists in the mind of the aspirant. Yes, the path proper is difficult, but the reward is the end of the struggle of striving in ignorance.

Riders

Well if he uses light and sound for meditation I have been to a meditation group where I listened in on gongs and chimes performance and went into meditation listening to it. SOme meditation groups do have this type of thing its great!

Chloe7

Chloe7, there is an irony about learning and growing, and that is in order to correct errors, we have to become aware of them, and the only way we can become aware of them is to have actually made them. We each are what and who we are today as a result of all that has gone before, so there is no regret in having made a mistake or have been deceived, for as long as we have corrected that error, we have made progress towards the realization of our true nature.

Eventually the aspirant must learn what it is they are before than they can proceed to find out who they are. Religious institutions of any tradition are helpful to get started, but will actually get in the way eventually to the realization of the real goal, being one with source of our being. The source of our being is within us all, and the ultimate expression of that is to be Self realized, ie. to be one with the source. So when the aspirant is ready and awakens to the Guru within, they are on the path proper. It will be an initially a lonely and difficult journey involving surrendering the separative ego self to ultimate realization of the non-dual nature of the Supreme source within, self and Self become one...union.

Thanks for your insightful reply to both myself and also that of sea shell. Your responses are pointing to our next step of ditching all the props and externals.
I now believe that the reason for my angry resistance to devoting to a physical guru is not as GO would have me believe, my mind putting up a fight in order to remain in control, but rather it comes out of an instinct pointing to the simple truth that the true guru is within awaiting recognition.
Both you and sea shell and all the other posters on this thread have helped so much. I feel strengthened and clarity and self respect coming back. The past few years on mp were filled with a lot of suffering and conflict and betrayal.

Ahau

Premium Member
See article, "Evidence that Eckankar is a Covert Occult Organization and Front for the Illuminati". Go to illuminati-news.com then from Site Map scroll down to Government and Mind Control then find Cults and Mind Control then find Cults in General. Then click on the title to bring up the article.

This article explains the origin of HU used by Eckankar and now used by Gary Olsen and Master Path. HU is an Egyptian deity. Chanting HU hypnotizes the Buddhi preventing soul's intuition and discrimination creating a trance state whereby Chelas become subject to egregoric conditioning by the deity HU that has been summoned.

Black magicians, "...have a degree of knowledge as to how invisible energies split from the audible life stream, but he bends them toward darkness and destruction..." Like freemasonry has many degrees, so does Master Path. At what point on the path would you like to discover that you have become a channel for HU? Which begs the question of who is HU? "...by their fruits ye shall know them..."

Gary Olsen says he is a dream master, one who can enter your dreams; There are no teachings of dream masters in Sant Mat literature and I have not found the origin of this teaching any where except in witchcraft. Wiccans teach that dream walkers are black magicians who can turn your best dream into your worst nightmares, this is true from personal experience. What is a dream master but a pro at dream walking! Spirit is always taking me down strange byways to teach me, and this time it was revealed first in Vin Diesel's, 'The Last Witch Hunter' movie.

Ahau

Premium Member
Gary Olsen says he is a dream master, one who can enter your dreams; There are no teachings of dream masters in Sant Mat literature and I have not found this teaching any where except in witchcraft. Wiccans teach that "dream walkers are black magicians who can turn your best dream into your worst nightmare", this is true from personal experience. What is a dream master but a pro at dream walking! Spirit is always taking me down strange byways to teach me, and this time it was first revealed first in Vin Diesel's, 'The Last Witch Hunter' movie.

"Dream walkers can create false memories and send one into their past memories. The ability to dream walk is often accompanied by that of creating illusions in order to have greater impact on the victim, relying on major fears or desires."

During my recent trip to India I asked my tour guide if he knew about dream masters in the spiritual literature of India and he had never heard of them. Also, a family member from the wedding I attended had not heard of them. He was a Brahmin priest.

David C. Lanes 2017 edition of, "The Making of a Spiritual Movement" is at Amazon at a decent price. I highly recommend it. I've been walking through the graveyard, kicking over the old bones, doing some reclamation work on my soul this past year since leaving MP. I have friends there that are still caught up in wanting to believe the Gary Olsen propaganda machine. It's just sad that so many are deceived, I have to remember I was one of them not long ago. RSSB is the original Sant Mat path with a legitimate sat guru I am now in viveka for.

If anyone could please tell me who initiated Gary Olsen, I would appreciate it. Also I'm pretty sure he got the MP discourses from Darwin Gross, who got them from Paul Twitchell, who got them from Kirpal Singh, right? If someone could verify, I would so appreciate the true history of Master Path if for no other reason than to be able to explain it to others leaving in the future, because there will be many who will seek clarification. Perhaps it is the higher self with the need to know the truth, but like all wounds, they need to be cleaned out to be healed.

Namaste'

Sea_shell

Gary Olsen says he is a dream master, one who can enter your dreams; There are no teachings of dream masters in Sant Mat literature and I have not found this teaching any where except in witchcraft...

Last edited:

Sea_shell

Hi Ahau, I took a look at the article you mentioned above. It's really interesting about the Masterpath Hu chant as hypnotizing the Budhi and preventing soul's intuition and discrimination. Duh... so this is why each seminar is started with the Hu chant and students are instructed to use it in their contemplation. I will certainly be taking a look at David Lanes book, "The Making of a Spiritual Movement". Thanks for this information.

To address part of your second post, I probably know about the same as what you know about MP. Gary Olsen is a self appointed Sat Guru, yes, appointed himself. I've been able to figure out similar to what you mentioned for his "lineage" to his "path" (Darwin Gross, Paul Twitchell to Kirpal Singh). The history that I know of is that he comes from Eckankar, started his path in North Dakota in mid to late 80's, moved it to New Mexico about 1990-91 and then moved the office to Temecula, CA. The number of students growing steadily. I was a lost individual when I became a student. It helped in the beginning in that it gave me structure and I've gained strength through some of the daily disciplines and practices. But as ben d said earlier, it is part true and part false (that's how I interpreted what he wrote). At some point I started thinking about some of the 'red flags' I'd noticed along the way and started figuring out that it didn't all add up. Then I started researching online and reading about others experiences and thoughts. I'll say it again, I am very saddened at how many have been deceived by him and his core group.

I've been trying to find out about their finances but haven't had much luck. I did look at GuideStar.org for non-profit reports but only found info on Masterpath from 2001-2005. In 2005 the tax forms listed $3,595,656 in assets and revenue as $1,664,528. I've surfed around online and can't find anything else. I've heard mention (in recent past) of annual pay to GO and his wife as being $180,000 annually each but don't know if this is fact or fiction. I really wish there were some way to expose their practices.

I've been processing this for quite some time and will continue to do so for quite a bit longer. I am happy you have a path. For now I choose a pathless path.

Thank you for sharing.

Vaderecta

Has anyone here heard of Master Path, headed up by Gary Olsen?

I am seeking info and thoughts on this subject.

Thank you all in advance for helping out.

I had a canned response to this but then I watched a few videos. (I'm not a source of truth in any way shape or form but...) I think he is on to a few things. I can see some things which seem wrong but he does seem to have done some homework or is paraphrasing others. Probably a complete and outright fraud but I reserve judgement. I have heard a few of these stories before and he seems interesting.

No I haven't heard of him but I will check him out. Thanks mate!

Ahau

Premium Member
Hi Ahau, I took a look at the article you mentioned above. It's really interesting about the Masterpath Hu chant as hypnotizing the Budhi and preventing soul's intuition and discrimination. Duh... so this is why each seminar is started with the Hu chant and students are instructed to use it in their contemplation. I will certainly be taking a look at David Lanes book, "The Making of a Spiritual Movement". Thanks for this information.

To address part of your second post, I probably know about the same as what you know about MP. Gary Olsen is a self appointed Sat Guru, yes, appointed himself. I've been able to figure out similar to what you mentioned for his "lineage" to his "path" (Darwin Gross, Paul Twitchell to Kirpal Singh). The history that I know of is that he comes from Eckankar, started his path in North Dakota in mid to late 80's, moved it to New Mexico about 1990-91 and then moved the office to Temecula, CA. The number of students growing steadily. I was a lost individual when I became a student. It helped in the beginning in that it gave me structure and I've gained strength through some of the daily disciplines and practices. But as ben d said earlier, it is part true and part false (that's how I interpreted what he wrote). At some point I started thinking about some of the 'red flags' I'd noticed along the way and started figuring out that it didn't all add up. Then I started researching online and reading about others experiences and thoughts. I'll say it again, I am very saddened at how many have been deceived by him and his core group.

I've been trying to find out about their finances but haven't had much luck. I did look at GuideStar.org for non-profit reports but only found info on Masterpath from 2001-2005. In 2005 the tax forms listed $3,595,656 in assets and revenue as $1,664,528. I've surfed around online and can't find anything else. I've heard mention (in recent past) of annual pay to GO and his wife as being $180,000 annually each but don't know if this is fact or fiction. I really wish there were some way to expose their practices.

I've been processing this for quite some time and will continue to do so for quite a bit longer. I am happy you have a path. For now I choose a pathless path.

Thank you for sharing.

Ahau

Premium Member
Thank you Sea_shell for your kind reply.

You may want to pick up a most recent edition of Julian Johnson's book 'The Path of the Masters'. You will recognize many of Master Path's teachings taken from this book verbatim. It was fist published in 1939. It's the real deal, also 'Sar Bachan' 1933. In these books you will find the teachings of Sant Mat more clearly expressed, in context, therefore more easily understood.

Information on the Buddhi and trance effects is explained in 'The Path of the Masters'. David C. Lane does not get into Sant Mat teachings, but is concerned mainly with plaigerized material as well as historical facts related to Eckankar, he also eventually forces Gary Olsen to admit his use of copyrighted material. That can be found in an online book called 'The Master Apologist'.

This is where I am hoping to get a better picture of Gary Olsen's motives, historically speaking since it is said on city-data that he was arrested as a teenager for stealing a car. By comparison, it doesn't make him sound much like a Swateh Saint of the highest order.

I am not concerned about his money story except to say, I think he was tutored by charletons who showed him how to make money without working too much. Once a thief always a thief. Thing is, I spent over 12K perusing a path of half truths. At least with the original RSSB there are no dues, and materials are very inexpensive. Look up the present master of the Beas tradition, Gurinder Singh Dhillon .Ji, he is quite fascinating.

Ahau

Premium Member
One must persue a true master, a perfect Saint who will mediate on souls behalf for entry into the highest heavens. This rhetoric is explained in the Radhasoami literature and copied into Master Path. On qualifying Gary Olsen as a perfect master one may also lean on Radhsoami who explains that, "a true master does not complain".

It is noted that in the opening seminar dated June 4, 2016, Gary Olsen upon describing his recent hospital stay, went on to explain his ill health was due to his taking on the karma of his chelas. That it was essentially the effect of his sacrifice for them. Perhaps his intent in laying down such an effective guilt trip is in hope that Chelas might take such a consequence to heart and do better. How can Gary Olsen be a perfect or true guru when he complains and does not take responsibility for his own actions and instead blames his chelas?

I see something else happening here as well. In a 1958 publication tittle, 'The Only Way Out is In, by RSSB swami Behari a senior initiate of Gharib Das, an initiating guru who's master was Shiv Dayal Singh in Agra, India, stated that a chronic disease of which the soul is suffering cannot be cured without a living Spiritual Physician called the Mediator, Satguru or Saint.

It appears that Gary Olsen is truly in need of one himself. Additionally, chapter 19 Actions and Accounts Page 62 and chapter 20 called Spiritualism and referencing spirits, states; "...some are troublesome and mischievous ...a good spiritualist or hypnotist can call or communicate with them...some get control over some spirits... It talks and gives information...brings fruits and other articles from distant places in a very short time...but, in the end these spirits give a lot of trouble and pain... "

"Communication with Souls and Spirits in these lower planes is harmful to devotees who have a long distance to fly". Gary Olsen in my opinion, has a locker room full of these spirits that serve him and give him the trouble he blames others for. The bite on this is their lower plane status. No wonder his chelas are not ascending, but instead are lost in a fog.

See Stargate SG1 TV series 10 or 11 teachings of the Ori. Gary Olsen is just banking on deception. He follows just enough truth to hook you in but denies the basics, like meditation, I can not say I ever received an effect from any of his initiators that ever benefitted me. I had some really terrifying dreams though!

Now I see how he traps seekers in an illusionary system of mind control. Too bad I lost 12 good years where I could have been meditating. ..Just don't believe any of his new age western style excuses...it will short circuit your path and bring resentment when you do discover the truth.

Chloe7

One must persue a true master, a perfect Saint who will mediate on souls behalf for entry into the highest heavens. This rhetoric is explained in the Radhasoami literature and copied into Master Path. On qualifying Gary Olsen as a perfect master one may also lean on Radhsoami who explains that, "a true master does not complain".

It is noted that in the opening seminar dated June 4, 2016, Gary Olsen upon describing his recent hospital stay, went on to explain his ill health was due to his taking on the karma of his chelas. That it was essentially the effect of his sacrifice for them. Perhaps his intent in laying down such an effective guilt trip is in hope that Chelas might take such a consequence to heart and do better. How can Gary Olsen be a perfect or true guru when he complains and does not take responsibility for his own actions and instead blames his chelas?

I see something else happening here as well. In a 1958 publication tittle, 'The Only Way Out is In, by RSSB swami Behari a senior initiate of Gharib Das, an initiating guru who's master was Shiv Dayal Singh in Agra, India, stated that a chronic disease of which the soul is suffering cannot be cured without a living Spiritual Physician called the Mediator, Satguru or Saint.

It appears that Gary Olsen is truly in need of one himself. Additionally, chapter 19 Actions and Accounts Page 62 and chapter 20 called Spiritualism and referencing spirits, states; "...some are troublesome and mischievous ...a good spiritualist or hypnotist can call or communicate with them...some get control over some spirits... It talks and gives information...brings fruits and other articles from distant places in a very short time...but, in the end these spirits give a lot of trouble and pain... "

"Communication with Souls and Spirits in these lower planes is harmful to devotees who have a long distance to fly". Gary Olsen in my opinion, has a locker room full of these spirits that serve him and give him the trouble he blames others for. The bite on this is their lower plane status. No wonder his chelas are not ascending, but instead are lost in a fog.

See Stargate SG1 TV series 10 or 11 teachings of the Ori. Gary Olsen is just banking on deception. He follows just enough truth to hook you in but denies the basics, like meditation, I can not say I ever received an effect from any of his initiators that ever benefitted me. I had some really terrifying dreams though!

Now I see how he traps seekers in an illusionary system of mind control. Too bad I lost 12 good years where I could have been meditating. ..Just don't believe any of his new age western style excuses...it will short circuit your path and bring resentment when you do discover the truth.

Chloe7

Hi Ahau and thanx for your post. I also have wondered about the spiritual or psychic influences behind master path. I know Gary came out of eeckankar and was initiated by Darwin gross who was not a master but only a 5th initiate. The guy after Darwin was Harold Klemp who also is a 5th and has a terrible reputation for being a black magician and attacking many people in the dream state. This is not only from one source but from several reputatable sources. So Gary was not even initiated by a master, let alone a perfect living master. At least this is how it appears to me. I heard Gary say that he was asked to start master path by the "spiritual hierarchy". Who is this spiritual heirarchy? Are they genuine masters or astral beings having fun? Is Gary deliberately deceiving people or doing so because he himself is deceived by spirits. In a Radhasoami forum I read, eckankar and all offshoots from eckankar are nicknamed "astral flypaper"...funny! As for me I am now thinking that awakening happens not because of the guru but in spite of him. It is all a matter of the chelas devotion and faith. I read a couple of David lane books on baba faqir chand who was the only guru who was honest enough to openly declare this. That all " manifestations visions that are seen are the chelas own mental creations."
I am grateful we have this forum to air out our doubts and frustrations. It certainly has helped me

Ahau

Premium Member
Thank you Chloe7 for your comments. I too am leaving the door open for the idea that our desire for the spiritual life can be so strong we can, of our own will create hallucinations, visions and even voices through emotional desires. I've had many myself, including out of body experiences.

I was really excited to find MP and in the beginning overlooked red flags for my utter need for GO to be who he says he is. I was not new to eastern spiritual paths having been a follower of Syda Yoga for three years. I loved the chanting and meditation and especially the Sitar music that could pull me and still does, into an absolutely blissful state. I left due to a complicated personal relationship with another yogi a couple of years before I found MP.

My understanding and respect for meditation and sound principles has deepened because of and in spite of MP. All is not lost; once one gets past the annoyances and moves into acceptance and knowledge of what one is truly dealing with within their own being. I too am a lot more wary of following blindly and can only hope to not be deceived again.

'Buddha' on Netfiix is a great reprieve "take refuge in Buddha" at around episode 35 he begins to teach. He went through many masters until he found the way ...there aren't so many here in the states though...