• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massive star two and a half MILLION times as bright as sun...vanishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuestioningMind

I don't care what cavemen think is magic. Nor do I care what they think of what I like or dislike.

That's okay dad, we all understand. You don't care to think, you prefer to let your magical book do your thinking for you. Each to his own.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How about, 'you shall not surely die'? Adam died. We all die now.
It doesn't say that. Instead (Genesis 2:17) God says "in the day that you eat of it you shall die." And just as the Snake said, that didn't happen.

So you still haven't shown me any lie the Snake told. One day you really should read that book of yours.
? How would an unbeliever that the bible says is unable to understand explain anything about God or His word to anyone?
Behold, I tell you a mystery. I read the bible to understand what it says. You don't read it at all, you just try to wish your impressions on it.
I am not sure that the quintessential definition of good is knowing evil.
I didn't say it was. I said instead that it's a good thing, an advantageous thing, to know what's good and what's evil, and that were the tale true, mankind would be a lot better off as a direct result of Eve's action.
It seems like knowing involved more than a superficial knowledge from the outside. It involved something more akin to making love to evil and partaking.
No, that's just you wishing things on the text. Otherwise we'd see God making love to evil ─ oops, [he] does, of course ─

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light and create darkness; I make peace and create evil; I the Lord do all these things.​
Origin fables are not reality.
Still dreaming of that ol' black magic, eh?
The reason they cannot come to a knowledge of the truth is because they do not know Him.
I'm not sure how you're in a position to make such a claim, considering how little you're able to explain about [him].
I don't believe you are acquainted. But make all the delirious claims you like.
I'm content to make claims impartially, honestly and transparently reasoned from examinable evidence, which is to say, the claims of science as formulated from time to time.

And ─ though I acknowledge that your method is more convenient, just making things up as you go along ─ I still think your fear of science isn't helping you, either in religion or in reality.

dad

Undefeated
It doesn't say that. Instead (Genesis 2:17) God says "in the day that you eat of it you shall die." And just as the Snake said, that didn't happen.
A bit like the story of the young soldier from the Bronx in WW2 that pulled out a razor when his gun ran out of ammo. He swung at the German soldier and the German thought he missed. The young American soldier smiled and said 'just waits till y'all try to shake your head'.
Adam was a dead man walking and had died spiritually. Separation from God is death.

I didn't say it was. I said instead that it's a good thing, an advantageous thing, to know what's good and what's evil, and that were the tale true, mankind would be a lot better off as a direct result of Eve's action.

Death is not a good thing. Hell is not a good thing. Thanks for the display of not knowing good from evil.

I still think your fear of science isn't helping you, either in religion or in reality.

Pretending others fear science when you don't know real science from fables is knavish.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Adam was a dead man walking and had died spiritually. Separation from God is death.
How come NOTHING of that is in the story? No mention anywhere of "spiritual death", and Adam wasn't separated from God after Eden; for example. Cain and Abel could find [him] without any particular effort to make offerings.
Death is not a good thing.
That's because you're not standing back. Without death, creatures would be unable to grow to larger sizes, evolution would be largely irrelevant, the world would have been overrun with life many millions of years ago, none of us would be here, and those that were would have to be living on sunshine or eating each other alive.
Hell is not a good thing.
Hell is the product of a Bronze Age god or earlier, whose morals in 2020 look psychotic, with that fixation on human sacrifice, that violent intolerance of religious freedom, all those wars and massacres and murders and rapes ...
Thanks for the display of not knowing good from evil.
As a matter of interest, what definition of 'evil' are you using? In your view, what test will tell us whether any act is 'evil' or not?

dad

Undefeated
How come NOTHING of that is in the story? No mention anywhere of "spiritual death", and Adam wasn't separated from God after Eden; for example. Cain and Abel could find [him] without any particular effort to make offerings.
When people offered sacrifices some believe God honoured it by sending the fire to burn them at that time. We also see God talking more directly to people at times. I would think God found the murderer though, rather than the other way round.

There also were spirits living among men and even marrying women in the days before the flood. The people building Babel felt they could build up to the level where some spirits apparently lived. After this time we do not see the same closeness of spirits on earth. Yes they visit but do not seem to be as at home here.

Without death, creatures would be unable to grow to larger sizes, evolution would be largely irrelevant, the world would have been overrun with life many millions of years ago,
Says who? God sends babies. He knows how many to send.

Hell is the product of..
Your uninformed and ignorant based opinion of what hell is or is not doesn't matter. Jesus confirmed hell is real.

that violent intolerance of religious freedom, all those wars and massacres and murders and rapes .
..God and His people are not religious,. but the devil and his people are, generally.

As a matter of interest, what definition of 'evil' are you using? In your view, what test will tell us whether any act is 'evil' or not?
The same test that tells us what voices or spirits are or are not of God.

1 John
3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ecc 8:17
Then I beheld all the work of God, that a man cannot find out the work that is done under the sun: because though a man labour to seek it out, yet he shall not find it; yea further; though a wise man think to know it, yet shall he not be able to find it.

Don't blame me.
Jolly, good, keep it up. Ignorance is the ideal state, after all.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When people offered sacrifices some believe God honoured it by sending the fire to burn them at that time. We also see God talking more directly to people at times. I would think God found the murderer though, rather than the other way round.
Once again you're saying whatever comes into your head, instead of reading what the text says.
Says who? God sends babies. He knows how many to send.
No, you silly fellow, the stork brings babies. Sheesh, what did they teach you?

Storks can count to two (on a good day).
Your uninformed and ignorant based opinion of what hell is or is not doesn't matter. Jesus confirmed hell is real.
You've been there, I take it? You're speaking from personal experience? Or are you just imagining what that book you don't read might say?
God and His people are not religious
And now you're saying that when God's people build churches and have professional priests and services every day and more on Sunday they're not being religious? Sheesh (again)!
The same test that tells us what voices or spirits are or are not of God.
And what test is that, exactly?

A Vestigial Mote

Naturally, science is clueless as to why.

"From 2001 to 2011, the light from the galaxy consistently showed evidence that it hosted a 'luminous blue variable' star some 2.5 million times brighter than the Sun. Stars of this type are unstable, showing occasional dramatic shifts in their spectra and brightness. Even with those shifts, luminous blue variables leave specific traces scientists can identify, but they were absent from the data the team collected in 2019, leaving them to wonder what had happened to the star. "It would be highly unusual for such a massive star to disappear without producing a bright supernova explosion," says Allan."

A cosmic mystery: ESO telescope captures the disappearance of a massive star

Could it be their theories are wrong?

Ha
Apparently you feel this means something in particular. Why don't you say what that is plainly? I have a feeling that you do not state it plainly because you are afraid of how it will, necessarily, make you appear. Unfortunately, with the content of a lot of your posts, I fear that you ARE exactly what you appear to be. An unfortunate circumstance indeed.

If "their theories" are wrong... what does this mean to you? What do you think this "proves?" Would it prove anything other than that "their theories are wrong?" Think about it honestly, even for a moment, and you would realize that no... it does nothing of the sort. It doesn't, at all, inform you of what the actual answer is to the conundrum. Not in the slightest. Nor would this one, specific instance of scientific models failing their advocates tell you much of anything about any of their other models/theories.

You cannot credibly dismiss the entire body of scientific discovery because a star seems to have disappeared. Is that what you think you can accomplish?

ecco

Veteran Member
I have no need to offer any solution. When something much bigger and brighter than the sun vanishes with no traces, and no one knows why, this tells me they basically don't really know what they are talking about.

Riiight! You have no need to offer a solution. That's the beauty of being a fundamentalist theist. You can say whatever nonsense that comes to mind without the need to be able to explain anything. That's one of the reasons why people love to be fundamentalist theists - it's just so simple. No need to learn. No need to study. When necessary, copy and paste a few verses from the stories that were written 2000-3000 years ago. Ya know, back when man was ignorant of the workings of nature. Back when they believed tying goats to a certain kind of fence controlled their spots. It's much easier to continue to be ignorant and believe these kinds of things than to study and learn.

False. Even if I could and did, you would reject it as not scientific. God does have a sense of humour. Maybe He just had the star vanish to show that the theories of man are incorrect?

If you could? Seriously? Come on. I'm sure you can make up a story to explain it. After all, you have had a lot of practice reading simplistic stories about goat markings and the like. Is even your imagination so stunted that you can't make up stories as good as the stories your ancient Biblical writers did?

Thanks we needed an example of demented thinking.
What demented thinking? According to you, God made the entire universe. According to you, God made a massive star disappear. Why do you doubt that God made the Corona Virus? If viruses exist, it's because God made them. If viruses exist, it's because made sure they were on the ark.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
*** Mod Post ****

Be aware of rules 1 and 3:

1. Personal Comments About Members and Staff
Personal attacks and name-calling, whether direct or in the third person, are strictly prohibited on the forums. Critique each other's ideas all you want, but under no circumstances personally attack each other or the staff. Quoting a member's post in a separate/new thread without their permission to challenge or belittle them, or harassing staff members for performing moderation duties, will also be considered a personal attack.

3. Trolling and Bullying
Where Rule 1 covers personal attacks, Rule 3 governs other behaviors and content that can generally be described as being a jerk. Unacceptable behaviors and content include:

1) Content (whether words or images) that most people would find needlessly offensive, especially when such content is posted just to get a rise out of somebody and/or is not part of a reasoned argument.

2) Defamation, slander, or misrepresentation of a member's beliefs/arguments, or that of a particular group, culture, or religion. This includes altering the words of another member to change their meaning when using the quote feature.

3) Antagonism, bullying, or harassment - including but not limited to personal attacks, slander, and misrepresentation - of a member across multiple content areas of the forums. Repeatedly targeting or harassing members of particular groups will also be considered bullying.

dad

Undefeated
And now you're saying that when God's people build churches and have professional priests and services every day and more on Sunday they're not being religious? Sheesh (again)!
And what test is that, exactly?

Religious people killed Jesus. The prophets also were killed by them. God does not live in building made with hands. He looks at the heart.

dad

Undefeated
Apparently you feel this means something in particular. Why don't you say what that is plainly? I have a feeling that you do not state it plainly because you are afraid of how it will, necessarily, make you appear. Unfortunately, with the content of a lot of your posts, I fear that you ARE exactly what you appear to be. An unfortunate circumstance indeed.
I have said that I think their whole cosmo model is wrong. I also said we do not know why stars do what they do, in this case up and disappear.

If "their theories" are wrong... what does this mean to you?

God was right all along.

What do you think this "proves?" Would it prove anything other than that "their theories are wrong?"

I do not need to prove anything, or have their beliefs fail to prove anything. Science is not about proof. The never ending stream of failures do show that something seems to be rotten in Denmark. I already knew that. There are those in this world and these forums, apparently, who do not yet seem to know that.

Think about it honestly, even for a moment, and you would realize that no... it does nothing of the sort. It doesn't, at all, inform you of what the actual answer is to the conundrum.
I am not the one saying science will ever have or has the actual answer. In fact I plainly cited God's word that man cannot have the actual answers regarding the beginning and end no matter what.
Looking at instances proving they never really knew demonstrates this.

You cannot credibly dismiss the entire body of scientific discovery because a star seems to have disappeared. Is that what you think you can accomplish?
You cannot credibly justify the entire body of scientific discovery because a star seems to have disappeared. Is that what you think you can accomplish? That star was claimed to be no less than 100 times the size of the sun.
According to one site we could fit over a million earth sized planests in our sun.

" In terms of physical dimensions you could fit about 1.3 million Earths inside the sun."

How many times is the Sun bigger than the other planets? - Quora

So for something 100 times the size of our sun we could fit 130 million earths into it!

Boom. Presto. Gone.

Last edited:

dad

Undefeated
Riiight! You have no need to offer a solution. That's the beauty of being a fundamentalist theist. You can say whatever nonsense that comes to mind without the need to be able to explain anything. That's one of the reasons why people love to be fundamentalist theists - it's just so simple. No need to learn. No need to study. When necessary, copy and paste a few verses from the stories that were written 2000-3000 years ago. Ya know, back when man was ignorant of the workings of nature. Back when they believed tying goats to a certain kind of fence controlled their spots. It's much easier to continue to be ignorant and believe these kinds of things than to study and learn.

If you could? Seriously? Come on. I'm sure you can make up a story to explain it. After all, you have had a lot of practice reading simplistic stories about goat markings and the like. Is even your imagination so stunted that you can't make up stories as good as the stories your ancient Biblical writers did?

What demented thinking? According to you, God made the entire universe. According to you, God made a massive star disappear. Why do you doubt that God made the Corona Virus? If viruses exist, it's because God made them. If viruses exist, it's because made sure they were on the ark.
I actually said we do not know why a star disappears. Careful about misrepresenting.

ecco

Veteran Member
I actually said we do not know why a star disappears. Careful about misrepresenting.

Who is we? I was talking to you, not some y'all.

You believe God made the universe, but you will not state that God took away one star.

The scientists in your linked article, give several scientific reasons why we may not be able to see a star we were able to see in the past (e.g. obscured by dust). Another reason may be that it is currently obscured by a roaming supermassive black hole that has moved between us and the star.

Supermassive black hole being pushed around by gravitational waves, Nasa finds

Since you don't believe science, why can't you give a religious reason?

dad

Undefeated
Who is we? I was talking to you, not some y'all.
We as in any person on earth.
You believe God made the universe, but you will not state that God took away one star.
Why speculate?

The scientists in your linked article, give several scientific reasons why we may not be able to see a star we were able to see in the past (e.g. obscured by dust).
Guesses.

Another reason may be that it is currently obscured by a roaming supermassive black hole that has moved between us and the star.
Right, or maybe a giant easter bunny that wanted to stuff it in it's bag?
Since you don't believe science, why can't you give a religious reason?
We do know that stars are there for one thing, as signs to man. So when we see something unusual out there, it could be some sign. What that is would be something I would not know yet.

However, the star of Bethlehem appeared and vanished also. It had a known purpose.

I suppose if a modern cosmo scientist was transported back in time they might offer similar guesses as to why it vanished. 'Gee, maybe a black hole ate it'. Then when it reappears maybe something like 'gee, I guess it was really dust that covered it, and then went away' etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.