• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting at gay nightclub.

We Never Know

No Slack
Other statistical data from the FBI:

Active Shooter Incidents 20-Year Review, 2000-2019 — FBI

Please, please don't delude yourself or others into believing you are going to be the lucky good guy with a gun who saves the day. The rate of that actually happening in real life is incredibly low.

As anyone worth their salt will tell you in an active shooter training, your first move in an active shooter situation should be to run. If running is not an option, hide. Only if you cannot run and cannot hide should fighting be your last, desperate resort.

Pshhh! Take cover and then assess to take them out.

We Never Know

No Slack
The chances you are going to "take them out" are very small. It's much more likely that you'll get yourself killed. Again, you can look at the actual data to see this.

You are probably right for untrained civillians.
Did you miss the part where an unarmed vet took the guy down.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Link not loading for me. You say it "could be worse" but do you have any first world examples?
It is rather misleading. For statistical purposes they treat Europe as a monolithic unit when if you look at studies the rate of gun deaths varies by over a factor of 10 between countries. The more stable European countries have very low death rates, the trouble lies in the less stable ones. I am not as familiar with them and I wonder if that is where the "tyrants" part of the title comes from.

If a country does not have tyrannical leaders it appears that gun control is no problem. The author may have misunderstood his own statistics. I am not sure. I have not finished it yet.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Colorado club shooting suspect is non-binary, attorneys say

Club Q shooting suspect is nonbinary, defense attorneys say

“Anderson Aldrich is nonbinary,” the footnote states. “They use they/them pronouns, and for the purposes of all formal filings, will be addressed as Mx. Aldrich.”

Strange. No mention of this in the CNN articles. They all refer to him as a dude.

Details are coming to light about the alleged gunman who killed five people at an LGBTQ nightclub | CNN

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How often or reliable is this, though? It's unrealistic and childish to believe that giving a gun to any random, average citizen will magically turn them into Dirty Harry. Hollywood isn't real life.
The news story isn't Hollywood. It's real life.

False equivalence.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Strange. No mention of this in the CNN articles. They all refer to him as a dude.

Details are coming to light about the alleged gunman who killed five people at an LGBTQ nightclub | CNN
It now has a link to a story about him. You might not have missed it. It is hard to keep all of the time zones straight, but your post may be earlier than the link:

'Everybody in that building experienced combat that night.' Army veteran Richard Fierro describes the moment he took down the Colorado nightclub gunman | CNN

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was being facetious, but they do pretend to be something that they're not, they just don't realize it due to delusion and a lack of self awareness. They're acting out a goofy G.I. Joe fantasy.
I do agree they have a sick, twisted GI Joe/Red Dawn fantasy. But to them it's just as real, every bit as real, as a schizophrenic who is fighting against angels.
To a LARPer it's all fake. Cosplayers aren't acting out a delusion and aren't doing it because of a very deep sense of paranoia and insecurity.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I do agree they have a sick, twisted GI Joe/Red Dawn fantasy. But to them it's just as real, every bit as real, as a schizophrenic who is fighting against angels.
To a LARPer it's all fake. Cosplayers aren't acting out a delusion and aren't doing it because of a very deep sense of paranoia and insecurity.
I know, it was tongue in cheek.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I know, it was tongue in cheek.
I'm just highlighting the differences in attitudes and reasons behind LARP, cosplay, and the sick, perverted Rambo wannabes who are a scared, frightened bunch who actually believe in the existence of their variety of boogeymen (often including an actual red, horned boogeyman).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Pshhh! Take cover and then assess to take them out.
Yeah, that's how it works in the movies. In real life you need/have to have the opportunity to defend yourself.
Now, you have someone shooting people and you have taken cover, locked and barricaded the door as you should.
How are you gathering information on where the shooter is? What direction is the shooter going in? How make sure you just don't throw yourself in front of the shooter?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Then why don't we see this playing out in England, Australia, Japan or other countries where they don't really have guns (or very few guns).
Hmm, I think that is a little like saying if drunk driving causes accidents why did frank and how drive home safely last night

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You are probably right for untrained civillians.
Did you miss the part where an unarmed vet took the guy down.
Yes, him and another guy. He had to continuously beat the guy with his gun and kick him so he'd stay down. And the guy was wearing body armour, so that wasn't the easiest task.

Watching this man in interviews, one thing is clear, he has major survivor's guilt, and major trauma that he's going to have to deal with for the rest of his life.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I supplied evidence. It seems to me that you would like to ignore it.

I suppose that puts us at an impasse.
You provided no real evidence because there are too many counter examples of free gun societies and armed dictatorships for such a point to have any real merit.
Or, what worse reality did England face when it banned handguns? They haven't had any school shootings since, we can say that.