• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass genocide of weeds and ants

idav

Being
Premium Member
I feel really bad about it but they choke the life out of the good plants, so weeds and ants gotta go.

Not to mention the city will be on me if I don't.

My feeling bad is because of religious reasons. I suppose I could just pay someone so I don't have to do the actual killing or should it not be a big deal?

I know in Buddhism they try not to kill even insects and there are Jains that believe the sacred extends to micro-organisms but killing microbes being unavoidable. I'm afraid if I'm not careful this can easily get carried away.

Thoughts? Concerns?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ask yourself - does this mass murder support and reflect my values, or am I being "forced" to do it due to cultural norms I don't believe in?

I had ants in my old apartment. I never once set up genocide bait traps. The hell with what regulations would have to say about it. Instead, I would clean my kitchen really well. Then simply wait. Eventually, they would quit coming and go away on their own. Plus, they weren't bothering anything or anyone. Thus, why kill? There was no reason to.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Ants control the aphids of my cherry tree, the tree providing shelter for the ants nest in its roots,
and small nectar buds to feed/attract them up the branches ....

idav

Being
Premium Member
Ask yourself - does this mass murder support and reflect my values, or am I being "forced" to do it due to cultural norms I don't believe in?

I had ants in my old apartment. I never once set up genocide bait traps. The hell with what regulations would have to say about it. Instead, I would clean my kitchen really well. Then simply wait. Eventually, they would quit coming and go away on their own. Plus, they weren't bothering anything or anyone. Thus, why kill? There was no reason to.
These ants are the evil ruthless kind. These ones couldn't find food so they went after hair clippings.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't like killing insects, myself, but I'm going to commit another mass slaughter of roaches and bed bugs. Bed bugs should actually be completely wiped out as a species. They serve no ecological role as far as I know and the effects of a bed bug infestation amounts to psychological and physical torture. That's one case where genocide is warranted, imo. I hope they develop a biological weapon against them. I would let my pet tarantula out and let her eat them but the dog or the cats might eat her. Lol.

As for ants, I actually like them. I only kill insects when they're a danger or a nuisance.

arthra

Baha'i
Well I think it's alright to be conscious of various life forms and show kindness to creatures ... not to vent our anger on them.

We should support sanctuaries for various animals and learn from them.

I don't feel there are "good" plants and "bad" plants. What we need to do is cultivate and protect the plants that we need and allow other plants to have free range.

So far I don't think there are any species of ants that are endangered but there was a report that insects could be a food source:

http://www.lifescript.com/health/ce...insects_could_help_fight_obesity_un_says.aspx

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Isn't a weed just a plant growing where we don't want it to grow? And how would we survive without ants?

These ants are the evil ruthless kind.

Are they the kind that can teleport en mass? So you put a sandwich down for 3.7 seconds and by the time you go to pick it up it resembles a close up from a Nat Geo documentary? And they can also manage to enter a sealed fridge and get inside a sealed bottle of honey to commit some kind of sticky collective suicide. And a single ant appears magically every now and then to sting you on the arm while you are watching tv.

I hate them. If you feel bad killing them just tell yourself that these ants want you to starve to death. After they have eaten your food, they want feast on your festering corpse. Also that if something enters their 'home', they will try to kill it or drive it away. It is only natural for you to want to do the same.

Outdoor ants are the good ants with kind hearts who love their mum and do a lot for charity. They deserve respect for the valuable role they play in the community.

Indoor ants are parasitic, sadistic, brutal sociopaths who ruin it for the rest of them.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Well I think it's alright to be conscious of various life forms and show kindness to creatures ... not to vent our anger on them.

We should support sanctuaries for various animals and learn from them.

I don't feel there are "good" plants and "bad" plants. What we need to do is cultivate and protect the plants that we need and allow other plants to have free range.

So far I don't think there are any species of ants that are endangered but there was a report that insects could be a food source:

http://www.lifescript.com/health/ce...insects_could_help_fight_obesity_un_says.aspx
Having an ants colony would be cool, long as the kids can keep the buggers contained.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Are they the kind that can teleport en mass? So you put a sandwich down for 3.7 seconds and by the time you go to pick it up it resembles a close up from a Nat Geo documentary? And they can also manage to enter a sealed fridge and get inside a sealed bottle of honey to commit some kind of sticky collective suicide. And a single ant appears magically every now and then to sting you on the arm while you are watching tv.

I hate them. If you feel bad killing them just tell yourself that these ants want you to starve to death. After they have eaten your food, they want feast on your festering corpse. Also that if something enters their 'home', they will try to kill it or drive it away. It is only natural for you to want to do the same.

Outdoor ants are the good ants with kind hearts who love their mum and do a lot for charity. They deserve respect for the valuable role they play in the community.

Indoor ants are parasitic, sadistic, brutal sociopaths who ruin it for the rest of them.
This is right, ruthless!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
There was a late 60s/early 70s sci-fi/documentary that I can't remember the name of that posited that insects were taking over the world...They aren't, really...they already make up about 80 percent of the biomass of the planet...