• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masks and disability

amorphous_constellation

I am said to be somewhere on the spectrum, though it was never fully recognized.. Long story short , the elementary school psychologist worked with me on it, and was convinced of it, but they couldn't convince my parents that such a thing exists.

Yes I do in fact , have trouble making out words sometimes. It struck me that this could be related to my mental state, when I heard a Temple Grandin lecture a while ago, in which she was talking to a British audience. She pointed out that the questions were a little hard for her to understand due to the accent.

I always had trouble hearing what is being said in loud situations. As a musician, I used to frequent bars to play guitar in, and for the life of me, I can barely understand much of anything when people tried to talk to me at the bar, or just around the room. For a long time, I thought it was the music making me deaf, since we tend to crank it loud. This same problem can happen at work, and I recently explained to a coworker (at the factory) that I'm a little bit hearing impaired, because I didn't want to bring other theories into it.

Even at work people talk to each other from 10 feet away, amid the massive buzzing of the presses. I can't really partake too often because I just can't hear what they are saying

As for masks, I became inured to it eventually. Luckily I grew out of asthma , unlike my two brothers, who unluckily still have to deal with occasional breathing problems. Possibly I ignore some of those issues though... I tend to breath through my mouth a lot, my nose is never really that clear. But I don't really know

Last edited: