• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masks and disability

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Anyone else have a disability that makes it difficult to wear a mask or sometimes can't wear a mask due to disability?I have sensory processing issues and allergies that cause coughing which is why it's difficult to wear one. Also because I rely strongly on lip reading as its difficult for me to understand speech sometimes mask tend to make it harder for me to understand whats going on at times. I have to ask people to repeat themselves more then I usually do.Not to mention I have trouble recognizing faces and mask aint helping. I get why there needed but I want to know if other people are struggling with these types of issues.

Last edited:

VoidCat

I will say having allergies that cause coughing is great in a pandemic. ( sarcasm)

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I will say having allergies that cause coughing is great in a pandemic.
I do not understand. Why would "having allergies that cause coughing" be great [particularly] in a pandemic?

Great or not, I can see why coughing while wearing a mask might be problematic. I'm sorry that you find yourself needing to deal with such things.

VoidCat

I do not understand. Why would "having allergies that cause coughing" be great [particularly] in a pandemic?

Great or not, I can see why coughing while wearing a mask might be problematic. I'm sorry that you find yourself needing to deal with such things.
That was sarcasm.Updated it to make that more obvious

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Anyone else have a disability that makes it difficult to wear a mask or sometimes can't wear a mask due to disability?I have sensory processing issues and allergies that cause coughing which is why it's difficult to wear one. Also because I rely strongly on lip reading as its difficult for me to understand speech sometimes mask tend to make it harder for me to understand whats going on at times. I have to ask people to repeat themselves more then I usually do.Not to mention I have trouble recognizing faces and mask aint helping. I get why there needed but I want to know if other people are struggling with these types of issues.

No. But I understand the concern. I assume many Deaf people have problems communicating with masks. Best I can think of is telling the person you're talking to you have to keep an extra distance apart and/or let them know you have allergies so they won't be jumpy.

Now that I think of it, yes. I have symptoms prosopagnosia per my brain surgery via neuropsych test etc , so its hard to recognize even people I know for a few seconds to strangers maybe a min. I won't know who they are unless they have a unique characteristic about them or sometimes their voice.

When we wear masks, I can't see their mouths and sometimes our eyes don't show everything. I can't understand what they say (I can't without the mask. Processing issues) so you can imagine with one on.

I've never had allergies but the only things I can think of is make your shopping quick or maybe hold it over face but not on it. You could tell people you talk to you have allergies and maybe let them decide what to do.

It's frustrating, I know. I hope people here won't blame you for it.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for raising this issue. I never really thought about the impact on the hearing impaired.

I was reminded of this recently at the supermarket, and the cashier was deaf. I realized that I was wearing a mask and he couldn't read my lips. I'm thinking I'll have to get a mask that has clear plastic so people can read my lips (but I won't say "no new taxes").

VoidCat

I was reminded of this recently at the supermarket, and the cashier was deaf. I realized that I was wearing a mask and he couldn't read my lips. I'm thinking I'll have to get a mask that has clear plastic so people can read my lips (but I won't say "no new taxes").
I firmly believe everyone should learn sign language as early as primary school because of situations like this. I haven't learnt sign language but I plan on learning it. So far I only know the ASL alphabet.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Thank you for raising this issue. I never really thought about the impact on the hearing impaired.
I have this issue with my Asperger's. Processing verbal words isn't my strongest point, and I heavily rely on lip reading to fill in the blanks. During this pandemic I am very frequently asking people to repeat themselves, and often comment how everyone sounds like Charlie Brown adults with the masks on.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

If it doesn't offend the Deaf person and you've seen him or her a few times you can point to your ears and mouth to ask if he doesn't mind you lowering the mask for communication. Lower your mask briefly or long enough to talk.

I can't speak for Deaf person but having processing issues sounds are jumbled so wearing any mask will muffle your voice. It depends on where you live (US?) but just step back, lower your mask,talk, put it on and move closer to purchase.

I took ASL and was involved in Deaf Culture in interpreting classes. It's frustrating but as long as you're aware and respectful you'll be fine.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Due to my polycythemia vera I have difficulty breathing. I also stutter, which believe it or not, is covered by the ADA (the mask doesn’t have anything to do with that though).

However, I do wear a mask mostly because it gives others warm fuzzies, not because I believe they are effective. Whether I do or not is my own opinion and business.

Moreover, I don’t need any Karens getting in my face to argue. I can barely get my name or phone number out, much less trying to tell some Karen to mind her own ****ing business. Then I’d go to jail for punching her lights out for mocking my stutter. :D

If my breathing and stutter get really bad, I go off into a corner and uncover my nose and mouth. I have a tag I wear explaining it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

There are masks made for the hearing impaired and their friends that have a clear barrier instead of an opaque one.

A coworker of my wife has a hearing impaired husband and a hearing impaired son and such masks are quite useful.

Do a search for 'masks for hearing impaired'.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I have this issue with my Asperger's. Processing verbal words isn't my strongest point, and I heavily rely on lip reading to fill in the blanks. During this pandemic I am very frequently asking people to repeat themselves, and often comment how everyone sounds like Charlie Brown adults with the masks on.
Although I cannot lip read fluently I can't hear people unless I can watch their lips at the same time as listening to them.
Do you use subtitles when you watch films? I have to.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is indeed your lucky day.
I'm just reading. Nothing to say.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm deaf in one ear. I feel the pain.

I just deal with it. It helps to cup an ear though.