• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mask Mandates Failed but the Science doesn't matter to Democrats

KW

The Failed Covid Policy of Mask Mandates | City Journal (city-journal.org)

4.17.22-All-States.png

Graphs by Ian Miller

Orbit

I'm a planet
Mask policies didn't "fail". They prevented a heck of a lot of sickness. I don't know where you got this chart from or what the methodology was, but it is suspect. I haven't had a cold or flu since 2019. Why? I wore a mask.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

"There was a significant decline in daily COVID-19 growth rate after the mandating of face covers in public, with the effect increasing over time after the orders were signed. Specifically, the daily case rate declined by 0.9, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 percentage points within 1–5, 6–10, 11–15, 16–20, and 21 or more days after signing, respectively. All of these declines were statistically significant (p<0.05 or less). In contrast, the pre-event trends in COVID-19 case growth rates were small and statistically insignificant."

"The study provides direct evidence on the effectiveness of widespread community use of face masks from a natural experiment that evaluated the effects of state government mandates in the US for face mask use in public on COVID-19 spread. Fifteen states plus Washington, D.C., mandated face mask use between April 8 and May 15. Using an event study that examined daily changes in county-level COVID-19 growth rates, the study found that mandating public use of face masks was associated with a reduction in the COVID-19 daily growth rate. Specifically, we found that the average daily county-level growth rate decreases by 0.9, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 percentage points in 1–5, 6–10, 11–15, 16–20, and 21 or more days after signing, respectively."

KW

Mask policies didn't "fail". They prevented a heck of a lot of sickness. I don't know where you got this chart from or what the methodology was, but it is suspect. I haven't had a cold or flu since 2019. Why? I wore a mask.

Read the article.

Maske mandates have been shown to be failures, but that doesn't stop control freak Democrats.

KW

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

"There was a significant decline in daily COVID-19 growth rate after the mandating of face covers in public, with the effect increasing over time after the orders were signed. Specifically, the daily case rate declined by 0.9, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 percentage points within 1–5, 6–10, 11–15, 16–20, and 21 or more days after signing, respectively. All of these declines were statistically significant (p<0.05 or less). In contrast, the pre-event trends in COVID-19 case growth rates were small and statistically insignificant."

"The study provides direct evidence on the effectiveness of widespread community use of face masks from a natural experiment that evaluated the effects of state government mandates in the US for face mask use in public on COVID-19 spread. Fifteen states plus Washington, D.C., mandated face mask use between April 8 and May 15. Using an event study that examined daily changes in county-level COVID-19 growth rates, the study found that mandating public use of face masks was associated with a reduction in the COVID-19 daily growth rate. Specifically, we found that the average daily county-level growth rate decreases by 0.9, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 percentage points in 1–5, 6–10, 11–15, 16–20, and 21 or more days after signing, respectively."

This study is from June of 2020. There was insufficient date about the spread of Covid at the time for a valid study.

More recent research contradicts this study.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
This study is from June of 2020. There was insufficient date about the spread of Covid at the time for a valid study.

More recent research contradicts this study.

Believe what you want then

Fact check: CDC study links mask mandates to slowed COVID infections

"Faster implementation of mask mandates was consistently shown to be protective. States with mask mandates made at three to six months had a 1.61 times higher rate than those who implemented within one month (adjusted rate ratio = 1.61, 95% confidence interval: 1.23-2.10, P = .001). States with mask mandates made after 6 months or with no mandate had a 2.16 times higher rate than those who implemented within 1 month (adjusted rate ratio = 2.16, 95% confidence interval: 1.64-2.88, P < .0001). In contrast, both stay at home orders and school closures had no significant influence on disease trajectory."

The role of mask mandates, stay at home orders and school closure in curbing the COVID-19 pandemic prior to vaccination

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I agree with you about mask mandates, and I'm a Democrat. I regularly wore a mask while I was out in public, and I practiced social distancing. But that didn't prevent me from contracting COVID from my husband, who contracted it from someone he worked with while he regularly wore a mask. My husband and I were also fully vaccinated before we got sick with COVID. Given the fact that I'm a Democrat and I agree with you about the mask mandates, perhaps you should reconsider broad brushing all Democrats as control freaks when it concerns mask mandates. For the record, I know other Democrats who also agree with us about mask mandates.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I agree with you about mask mandates, and I'm a Democrat. I regularly wore a mask while I was out in public, and I practiced social distancing. But that didn't prevent me from contracting COVID from my husband, who contracted it from someone he worked with while he regularly wore a mask. My husband and I were also fully vaccinated before we got sick with COVID. Given the fact that I'm a Democrat and I agree with you about the mask mandates, perhaps you should reconsider broad brushing all Democrats as control freaks when it concerns mask mandates. For the record, I know other Democrats who also agree with us about mask mandates.
Show me where it was claimed masks would entirely prevent covid.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

A mask was never meant to prevent anyone catching covid (although there is a slightly reduced risk with a mask)

The mask is meant to reduce the chance of infectious people spreading the disease.

This graphic explains
facebook_1594327553905.jpg

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Exactly, and scientific studies overwhelming showed that masking can help reduce the spread, not only of covid but also with other contagious diseases, such as colds and flus that declined when they were mandated.

Again, it's a case where some who claim to be "pro-life" are in reality taking some positions that are actually pro-death. Masks are not a cure as their purpose is to reduce transmission of viruses and bacteria as you well know.

KW

Believe what you want then

Fact check: CDC study links mask mandates to slowed COVID infections

"Faster implementation of mask mandates was consistently shown to be protective. States with mask mandates made at three to six months had a 1.61 times higher rate than those who implemented within one month (adjusted rate ratio = 1.61, 95% confidence interval: 1.23-2.10, P = .001). States with mask mandates made after 6 months or with no mandate had a 2.16 times higher rate than those who implemented within 1 month (adjusted rate ratio = 2.16, 95% confidence interval: 1.64-2.88, P < .0001). In contrast, both stay at home orders and school closures had no significant influence on disease trajectory."

The role of mask mandates, stay at home orders and school closure in curbing the COVID-19 pandemic prior to vaccination

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

That's from 2019. We know that CDC was wrong many times. This is no different.

KW

A mask was never meant to prevent anyone catching covid (although there is a slightly reduced risk with a mask)

The mask is meant to reduce the chance of infectious people spreading the disease.

This graphic explains
View attachment 63616

You can put up all the graphs you want, but the actual data shows that mask mandates did not decrease infections.

KW

Fair enough!

When I generalize about Democrats I recognize that there are exceptions.

KW

That time frame is well after most dropped the mask mandate, so it's highly suspect. Plus many Americans weren't good at complying with covid restrictions. But fortunately we have a literal world full of evidence to well demonstrate why looking at just America (as always) fails.

This graph is comparing states with mask mandates to those without.