• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mask Mandate Lifted on Public Transportation

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It reflects quite poorly on the priorities of the American right's politicians and legislators when they see mask mandates as less acceptable than bans targeting the right to elective abortion, even in cases of rape and incest.

Theocracy and ideological extremism are an affront to any humane, civilized society.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Yup. This is great and overdue. I was wondering when a judge was going to do their job and end this nonsense. Don't wear them anywhere else, so it's stupid to wear it the 5 minutes I spend on the bus to and from work.

esmith

Veteran Member
It reflects quite poorly on the priorities of the American right's politicians and legislators when they see mask mandates as less acceptable than bans targeting the right to elective abortion, even in cases of rape and incest.

Theocracy and ideological extremism are an affront to any humane, civilized society.
How so, please explain yourself.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
How so, please explain yourself.

If the reason for ending the mandate has to do with ineffectiveness from the perspective of health experts, then there are many suggestions from the latter that conservative American legislators have ignored (e.g., more comprehensive vaccine mandates).

If the reason for ending the mandate has to do with a perceived encroachment on personal freedom, then conservative American legislators are being inconsistent because of their support for the recent blanket bans on elective abortion in Texas and Kentucky.

Basically, the MO of said legislators seems primarily driven by ideology and shoehorning of religious beliefs into state law rather than consistent concern for freedom or citizens' health and well-being.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Yup. This is great and overdue. I was wondering when a judge was going to do their job and end this nonsense. Don't wear them anywhere else, so it's stupid to wear it the 5 minutes I spend on the bus to and from work.

Why is it "nonsense," though? Are the mandates evidenced to be useless by health experts, or are you calling them that on an ideological basis?

If you cite freedom as the reason, then consistency entails also opposing encroachments on freedom such as blanket bans on elective abortions and books/subjects that conservative politicians disagree with.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
A federal Judge has ruled that the 14-month-old directive was unlawful.
U.S. will no longer enforce mask mandate on airplanes, trains after court ruling

Of course some of the liberals have gone berserk over the ruling
Liberals, media elite show off their masks in response to end of travel mandate: ‘KISS MY ***’

A lot of places are relaxing the mask requirements these past couple of months.

I haven't had to worry about taking any public transportation, although I saw this mentioned in the article:

Since January 2021, there have been a record 7,060 unruly passenger incidents reported, 70% involving masking rules, according to the FAA. Thousands of passengers have been put on "no-fly" lists for refusing to comply with masking requirements.

Alaska said some passengers will remain banned, even after the mask policy is rescinded.

Over 7000 unruly passenger incidents reported in the past 15 months, 70% of which involved mask rules. Making airline personnel into the mask police led to a lot of problems on flights. From the response of the airlines to this ruling, they seem relieved that they won't have to do that anymore.

I don't know if we can safely say that the pandemic is now over.

However, I can understand why people are sick of wearing the masks.

Some people are fanatics about refusing to wear masks, while others are fanatics about insisting that everyone wear masks everywhere. I think the truth is somewhere in between. The masks aren't some magical shield which will protect wearers from all viruses, nor does not wearing a mask suddenly turn people into instant Typhoid Mary. Playing the percentages, your odds are obviously better with the mask.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of places are relaxing the mask requirements these past couple of months.

I haven't had to worry about taking any public transportation, although I saw this mentioned in the article:

Over 7000 unruly passenger incidents reported in the past 15 months, 70% of which involved mask rules. Making airline personnel into the mask police led to a lot of problems on flights. From the response of the airlines to this ruling, they seem relieved that they won't have to do that anymore.

I don't know if we can safely say that the pandemic is now over.

However, I can understand why people are sick of wearing the masks.

Some people are fanatics about refusing to wear masks, while others are fanatics about insisting that everyone wear masks everywhere. I think the truth is somewhere in between. The masks aren't some magical shield which will protect wearers from all viruses, nor does not wearing a mask suddenly turn people into instant Typhoid Mary. Playing the percentages, your odds are obviously better with the mask.

Masks are largely no longer used where I live as well. I wear mine at hospitals and sometimes in really crowded places, but I'm not as strict about them as I used to be up until a couple of months ago.

My family no longer wear theirs, for better or worse, so my meticulous caution that was mainly for them probably wouldn't make much of a difference now. They go out to crowded places more than I do either way.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Why is it "nonsense," though? Are the mandates evidenced to be useless by health experts, or are you calling them that on an ideological basis?

If you cite freedom as the reason, then consistency entails also opposing encroachments on freedom such as blanket bans on elective abortions and books/subjects that conservative politicians disagree with.
I'm not going to get into abortion on this thread, as it's off topic.

It's nonsense because of things like the example I mentioned. Why should I have to wear a mask for the maybe 5 minutes a day I take the bus when I don't have to wear a mask anywhere else? I don't have to wear them at work, at a supermarket, where I am for 8 hours a day. Most of us are over it. I'm sick of corrupt, lying "experts" and politicians trying to rule my life using fear and extend this "crisis" indefinitely. If they love the masks so much, they can have them stitched to their face as far I care. They can go live in a bubble if they're so terrified. I'm done with it. I'm living my life.

It's nonsense even going by what they say we should do because people weren't wearing them "correctly" at all times and the majority of people were/are wearing cloth or disposable masks, which are basically useless. There's no point in keeping this charade up, since we were all doing it wrong for basically the entire time, anyway. This is like security theater.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
If the reason for ending the mandate has to do with ineffectiveness from the perspective of health experts, then there are many suggestions from the latter that conservative American legislators have ignored (e.g., more comprehensive vaccine mandates).

If the reason for ending the mandate has to do with a perceived encroachment on personal freedom, then conservative American legislators are being inconsistent because of their support for the recent blanket bans on elective abortion in Texas and Kentucky.

Basically, the MO of said legislators seems primarily driven by ideology and shoehorning of religious beliefs into state law rather than consistent concern for freedom or citizens' health and well-being.
Why are you going on about "conservative legislators"? It was a federal judge that threw it out, just like the Supreme Court threw out Biden's unconstitutional jab mandate for private businesses in January.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Why are you going on about "conservative legislators"? It was a federal judge that threw it out, just like the Supreme Court threw out Biden's unconstitutional jab mandate for private businesses in January.

Conservative legislators have been the primary opposition to vaccine mandates and also the main sponsors of blanket bans on elective abortion. This judge was also appointed by Trump.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Conservative legislators have been the primary opposition to vaccine mandates and also the main sponsors of blanket bans on elective abortion. This judge was also appointed by Trump.
They still had nothing to do with this. Nothing wrong with being against forcing people to inject something into their body they don't want. "Liberals" supporting it doesn't make them seem very, well, liberal.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm not going to get into abortion on this thread, as it's off topic.

It's nonsense because of things like the example I mentioned. Why should I have to wear a mask for the maybe 5 minutes a day I take the bus when I don't have to wear a mask anywhere else? I don't have to wear them at work, at a supermarket, where I am for 8 hours a day. Most of us are over it. I'm sick of corrupt, lying "experts" and politicians trying to rule my life using fear and extend this "crisis" indefinitely. If they love the masks so much, they can have them stitched to their face as far I care. They can go live in a bubble if they're so terrified. I'm done with it. I'm living my life.

It's nonsense even going by what they say we should do because people weren't wearing them "correctly" at all times and the majority of people were/are wearing cloth or disposable masks, which are basically useless. There's no point in keeping this charade up, since we were all doing it wrong for basically the entire time, anyway. This is like security theater.
Busses,, subways, and airplanes are far worse for spreading Covid than other situations. It is a very small volume with lots of people at close distances. That is why the regulations were still on for them.

And just because they are not mandated on airplanes, does not mean that they are not mandated everywhere. In my state one still needs to wear them on public transport. This ruling did not affect state mandates.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Busses,, subways, and airplanes are far worse for spreading Covid than other situations. It is a very small volume with lots of people at close distances. That is why the regulations were still on for them.

And just because they are not mandated on airplanes, does not mean that they are not mandated everywhere. In my state one still needs to wear them on public transport. This ruling did not affect state mandates.
How unfortunate for you. No mandates here. Maybe I'll learn to like Ohio a bit. Just a little.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeah, people not getting their 10th booster jab. :rolleyes:
Now now now. One needs to be honest about what is required. Boosters are often very beneficial for many diseases. And vaccines are not harmful. There is no evidence that they do any significant harm and there is massive evidence that they work. I would have no problem with a hermit not getting a vaccine, if he could totally avoid human contact, but not too many people want to live that way. By the next time the disease rolls out we might be on a fourth booster at the most.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Like this ideological extremism?

I'm sure Democrats would do this to Americans if they could.

**** the mask mandates. It's over.