• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mary

Rakhel

I just saw this on TV. really don't have time to comment on it myself, as I have to leave.
What do you think?
U.S. Bishops changing Mary's Virgin Status in the Bible
By LISA BROOKS
Every so often, the guys that update the Bible make some changes that raise eyebrows. It's happening now, with the updated edition of the New American Bible.
American Catholic Bishops decided to change a key passage in the book of Isaiah that calls the mother of the coming messiah, not a 'virgin,' but instead a 'young woman.'
So was she or wasn't she? Or was Mary just "technically" a virgin? Why did they do this?
"Their point in translating this reference to Mary as a 'young woman' rather than a 'virgin' is that the original Greek word doesn't mean what we in contemporary English mean by a 'virgin.' It simply means a young woman," John Allen, with the National Catholic Reporter in Rome, told CBS Radio.
Section: Local Articles - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Sounds fine to me as well. From what I understand, they are only changing the reference in Isaiah, which most translations have already done.

esmith

Veteran Member
Manly because of the mistranslation of Hebrew words. Also I suspect that those that translated the Hebrew Bible into English wanted a reference to the Mary of the New Testament to be reflected in the Hebrew Bible.

Rakhel

I was watching tv when I heard and one of the hosts of the show was livid. An all most "How dare they mess with my beliefs!"

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
American Catholic Bishops decided to change a key passage in the book of Isaiah that calls the mother of the coming messiah, not a 'virgin,' but instead a 'young woman.'
So was she or wasn't she? Or was Mary just "technically" a virgin? Why did they do this?
Why are they assuming that the passage in the book of Isaiah is a reference to Mary in the first place?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Because that is what the Church teaches.

Why are thinking the alteration of the translation in any way effects the Church's Marian dogmas?

Just ignorant journalism...

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
So they say, but they behave as if they believe in many gods.
Not really. They recognize one God. This God may have three parts, but it is all one God.

One thing that should be mentioned is that Catholic scholarship has, for quite some time now, has agreed with the majority of scholarship that Isaiah did not speak of a virgin, but a young woman. I am a little surprised to see that their Bible (which should be mentioned isn't the only Bible that they use) has taken so long to get caught up.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Really?

All those Marys? All those saints (there are so many of them!)? Prayers, candles, statues? They sure are treated like gods. A whole pantheon.
Only if you don't actually understand those things. Before commenting on such ideas, you should learn more about them.

GabrielWithoutWings

Really?

All those Marys? All those saints (there are so many of them!)? Prayers, candles, statues? They sure are treated like gods. A whole pantheon.

You do have a valid point but one must remember that in Catholicism, there are three kinds of worship:

Dulia - Veneration given to saints, patriarchs, prophets, etc. The equivalent of asking someone to pray for you

Hyperdulia - A special kind of veneration reserved for Mary alone

Latreia - Worship of God and God alone

Blackheart

If its the truth then its the truth. Why carry on saying it if you know its not genuine. I think all bibles could do with a word for word retranslation as we know there are many misleading errors in them.

Blackheart

You do have a valid point but one must remember that in Catholicism, there are three kinds of worship:

Dulia - Veneration given to saints, patriarchs, prophets, etc. The equivalent of asking someone to pray for you

Hyperdulia - A special kind of veneration reserved for Mary alone

Latreia - Worship of God and God alone

Sounds like polytheisim to me.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
If its the truth then its the truth. Why carry on saying it if you know its not genuine. I think all bibles could do with a word for word retranslation as we know there are many misleading errors in them.
There have been many retranslations, especially in just the last 50 or 60 years. Some of them have been exceptionally good, such as the RSV and NRSV.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Sounds like polytheisim to me.
That is only if you want to see it as polytheism. Saints are not Gods. They are not treated as Gods. They are not even thought of as Gods. Neither is Mary. They are given respect though, and that in no way makes them divine.