• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Martin Shkreli jailed after Facebook post about Hillary Clinton

leibowde84

Veteran Member
That would be the case if he said this over dinner with his friends. But he put it on the internet, with a $5000 dollar offer. That's more than just "reasonable" persons. It includes every freak with internet access who wants $5000.
And he knew that when he did it.
Tom
I agree

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Why? Bail for convicted criminals isn't a fundamental right. It may be granted in cases where they are judged to be no threat to the public based on certain conditions.

When you have a convicted criminal out on bail the benefit of the doubt therefore goes to protecting the public, not to keeping criminals out of jail. It is unrealistic to wait for a 2nd criminal conviction before revoking bail after all. A reasonable chance that a crime has been committed is sufficient to consider it in the public interest to return them to jail.

Do you believe there should be a whitelist of crimes you may commit while out on bail? or do you believe you should be allowed out until actually charged/convicted with a 2nd crime? (or something else?)

I believe there is enough doubt about his intentions to not revoke bail on this particular occasion.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
And I guess I'm saying that I don't think a reasonable person would think he was serious.
I don't think that a reasonable person would fail to grasp that the internet is available to unreasonable people.
He made an offer and knew that psychos would get it.
Tom

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
I don't think that a reasonable person would fail to grasp that the internet is available to unreasonable people.
He made an offer and knew that psychos would get it.
Tom

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this point!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this point!
Let's put it this way.
When you're out on bail, which is imminently revocable, a reasonable person would be a lot more careful about posting offers to pay $5000 for a personal assault on the internet.
Tom

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
Let's put it this way.
When you're out on bail, which is imminently revocable, a reasonable person would be a lot more careful about posting offers to pay $5000 for a personal assault on the internet.
Tom

I disagree.