• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Martial Law in Michigan?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Source:

Michigan lawmakers are on the verge of approving a bill that would enable the governor to appoint "emergency managers" -- officials with unilateral power to make sweeping changes to cities facing financial troubles.

Under the legislation, the Michigan Messenger reports, the governor could declare a "financial emergency" in towns or school districts. He could then appoint a manager to fire local elected officials, break contracts, seize and sell assets, eliminate services - and even eliminate whole cities or school districts without any public input.

The measure passed in the state Senate this week; the House passed its own version earlier. The two versions of the bill are expected to be reconciled next week, and Republican Gov. Rick Snyder has said he will sign the bill the bill into law.

Republicans, including Rick Snyder, have responded to criticisms of the new dictatorial powers by saying they will not misuse the powers -- but they have not denied they are giving themselves such powers in the first place.

See also:

Rachel Maddow Show

So what do you make of these new powers?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The new powers are appropriate & needed.
Do you think martial law is an accurate description of the state's intent?
Would you prefer that Detroit continue to abuse children by denying them a proper education?

Btw, from the article....
The martial law concept in the U.S. is closely tied with the right of habeas corpus, which is in essence the right to a hearing on lawful imprisonment, or more broadly, the supervision of law enforcement by the judiciary. The ability to suspend habeas corpus is often equated with martial law.[citation needed] Article 1, Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution states, "The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it."
In United States law, martial law is limited by several court decisions that were handed down between the American Civil War and World War II. In 1878, Congress passed the Posse Comitatus Act, which forbids military involvement in domestic law enforcement without congressional approval. On October 1, 2002 United States Northern Command was established to provide command and control of Department of Defense homeland defense efforts and to coordinate defense support of civil authorities.[13]

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm absolutely positive no politician would ever misuse dictatorial powers.
Cagey. You imply dictatorial powers with plausible deniability about your implying it, eh?
Do you believe that the legislation rises to that level?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you believe that the legislation rises to that level?

LOL! I suppose Fox News might have an euphemism for it. Tell me, what are they calling it these days when someone has the power to dissolve elected governments at his or her own whim and answerable to no one else? What's the acceptable, politically correct Fox term for that?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
LOL! I suppose Fox News might have an euphemism for it. Tell me, what are they calling it these days when someone has the power to dissolve elected governments at his or her own whim and answerable to no one else? What's the acceptable, politically correct Fox term for that?
Reductio ad Foxium, eh? When caught pretending that things are not what they are, you deflect.
I think you're just baiting me cuz you're sweet on me.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Reductio ad Foxium, eh? When caught pretending that things are not what they are, you deflect.

You're a riot. "Caught pretending that things are not what they are". Go ahead. Make my day. Back up your rhetoric by pointing out where I've done that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're a riot. "Caught pretending that things are not what they are". Go ahead. Make my day. Back up your rhetoric by pointing out where I've done that.
Sure...just answer the questions I posed to you.
Or, perhaps you could post the portions of the bill which impose "martial law".

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you know that you can go blind answering your own posts when no one else will?

Edit....you deleted the post I was responding to...why was that?

If you're going to pretend something about local politics somewhere, you ought not to do so where I live. I'll spot it.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Or, perhaps you could post the portions of the bill which impose "martial law".

If you want that level of detail, then why don't you google the bill. I posted the news reports in the OP that basically say the bill gives the Governor of Michigan the right to appoint "emergency financial managers" with dictatorial powers. Not even the Governor is claiming those news reports are inaccurate. All he's claiming is that Republicans won't misuse those new powers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you want that level of detail, then why don't you google the bill. I posted the news reports in the OP that basically say the bill gives the Governor of Michigan the right to appoint "emergency financial managers" with dictatorial powers. Not even the Governor is claiming those news reports are inaccurate. All he's claiming is that Republicans won't misuse those new powers.
But you say "martial law", ie, military powers.....now you say "dictatorial powers".
Why don't you back up your claim by saying exactly how they're dictatorial?

I'm touched that you give your attention to the state occupied by Revoltistan.