• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mars Too Small to Be Habitable, New Study Suggests

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Most space exploration could be carried out by robot probes.
I agree.
ojw.gif

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
We'll see just how successful they'll be.
I think they underestimate the challenge's difficulty & risks.
And over-estimate the benefits.
Then there is the restocking fee.

Unmanned probes can get us much, if not all of the information we need much safer and much cheaper than manned missions. Still, there is always the desire to have a real person at the cutting edge. The worth of that may be in keeping governments and the public engaged and on board.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Then there is the restocking fee.

Unmanned probes can get us much, if not all of the information we need much safer and much cheaper than manned missions. Still, there is always the desire to have a real person at the cutting edge. The worth of that may be in keeping governments and the public engaged and on board.
But sending people up there has the risk of the public
crying over the dying. Look what happened when the
last shuttle blew up.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Which is why I support the unmanned missions.
Same here.
And remote sensing.
Increasing computer capability will greatly benefit
unmanned missions. But humans....there are no
improvements on the horizon. There are no
programs to make them more survivable in space.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Same here.
And remote sensing.
Some pretty big technological break throughs would have to happen.

The only big drawback is that our probes would crash into alien probes and they would repair themselves and bond.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Same here.
And remote sensing.
I recall reading something a long while back regarding self-replicating probes and probes that could be used to harvest mineral resources. It seemed like a pretty interesting idea for exploring and mining without sending out people.

Basically send out a mother probe with the programing to make new versions out of native resources and then send those probes back home for the minerals or send them out to explore from the new location.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I recall reading something a long while back regarding self-replicating probes and probes that could be used to harvest mineral resources. It seemed like a pretty interesting idea for exploring and mining without sending out people.

Basically send out a mother probe with the programing to make new versions out of native resources and then send those probes back home for the minerals or send them out to explore from the new location.
Sounds a long long way off.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I was already skeptical about its habitability considering its lack of an oxygen-rich atmosphere, magnetic field, water, and ecosphere, the micro dust and frequent sand storms, and its high levels of perchlorate that is toxic to humans.