• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriage + Islam

I was reading a thread about if Muslims renounce Islam, and I was wondering, What about Muslims marrying outside of Islam? I'm not even completely sure what Christianity says about marrying outside of Christianity.

I woud appreciate facts andd opinions about this, from anyone of any religion.
Just curious.

Mujahid Mohammed

thriftypassenger said:
I was reading a thread about if Muslims renounce Islam, and I was wondering, What about Muslims marrying outside of Islam? I'm not even completely sure what Christianity says about marrying outside of Christianity.
A man can marry outside of the religion but only a Christian or Jew. No idol worshippers. But it is not something that is recommended but it is permissible. The women cannot and it is because of the rights the husband has over her and the rights of the children. She may not be able to fulfill her religious obligations if she marries a non muslim and her children may grow up to be non muslim for the children usually take the religion of the father. Except for some jews but I have heard that has changed now.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Muslims in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sanjak of Novi Pazar, Albania, Bulgaria, Turkey, and to a lesser extent Azerbaijan permit marriages between Muslim men and women and non-Muslims, provided they are "People of the Book" - meaning of one of the Abrahamic faiths.

natey

So a Muslim man could marry a Christian woman?

Don't Muslims think of us(Christians) as worshipping more than one god? Which we do not btw.

For Christianity it is not good to marry outside of Christianity. Reason being someone who isn't Christian will generally lead a Christian further away from Christ. Where as a Christian marriage generally draws them closer to Christ.

Mujahid Mohammed

natey said:
So a Muslim man could marry a Christian woman?
Yes it is in Quran but some scholars I believe say no I will check my notes and let you know.

Don't Muslims think of us(Christians) as worshipping more than one god? Which we do not btw.
Depends on the Christian some believe in God and just Jesus as his son and not him.

For Christianity it is not good to marry outside of Christianity. Reason being someone who isn't Christian will generally lead a Christian further away from Christ. Where as a Christian marriage generally draws them closer to Christ.
it is the same with any religion that is why it is permissible but NOT RECOMMENDED. For it is difficult and we have the example of the hardships some of the early muslims dealt with in dealing with this issue.