• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriage between man and woman? what about genderqueer?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
So this question occurred to me while perusing some of the threads out there about same-sex marriage. That tired old argument that "marriage is between a man and a woman" of course came up and that got me questioning: Do people who believe that, believe that those who identify as genderqueer in any fashion should not be allowed to marry at all? For those who don't know genderqueer is an umbrella term that refers to individuals who don't identify, to whatever degree, within the gender binary. You can read more about it here: Genderqueer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I myself identify as genderqueer. More specifically I find myself to be very fluid when it comes to gender and while I do use she/her pronouns and have a female body, to simply say "I am a woman" is only part of the equation and woefully inaccurate. Meanwhile there are many other people who have female or male bodies but identify as androgynous or as being without a gender or another gender entirely. Miley Cyrus is one notable individual who doesn't identify as being any particular gender. More here:

So basically I'm curious. for people who say that marriage must be between a man and a woman, do you say people who don't fall into that binary like myself and Miley shouldn't be allowed to marry at all? She is not a man or a woman and I am both plus everything else (Pangender: Pangender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Neither of us fully identify as men or women so do people who believe in marriage between a man and a woman think we shouldn't be able to marry anyone?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
So this question occurred to me while perusing some of the threads out there about same-sex marriage. That tired old argument that "marriage is between a man and a woman" of course came up and that got me questioning: Do people who believe that, believe that those who identify as genderqueer in any fashion should not be allowed to marry at all? For those who don't know genderqueer is an umbrella term that refers to individuals who don't identify, to whatever degree, within the gender binary. You can read more about it here: Genderqueer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I myself identify as genderqueer. More specifically I find myself to be very fluid when it comes to gender and while I do use she/her pronouns and have a female body, to simply say "I am a woman" is only part of the equation and woefully inaccurate. Meanwhile there are many other people who have female or male bodies but identify as androgynous or as being without a gender or another gender entirely. Miley Cyrus is one notable individual who doesn't identify as being any particular gender. More here:

So basically I'm curious. for people who say that marriage must be between a man and a woman, do you say people who don't fall into that binary like myself and Miley shouldn't be allowed to marry at all? She is not a man or a woman and I am both plus everything else (Pangender: Pangender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Neither of us fully identify as men or women so do people who believe in marriage between a man and a woman think we shouldn't be able to marry anyone?
No those people would say Miley is a female regardless of what she says or feels. Me? I just found some respect for Miley.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Im a lesbian female and identify as female, so Ima take an educated guess but no direspect if I offend.

In traditional and mojority christian thought, christians say that God only blesses and insititute marriage between man and woman. The Church does not loom at how one identifies themselves but who they are biologically at birth. It is taught that marriage is for creating a family and consumating ones love through means of the act procreation. If you are a part of the Church, (Roman or othrodox) you cant get married to someone the same as the physical biological gender you were born with.

From what I gather in scripture, there is no mention of people who identified themselves contrary to the gender they "looked like." So it seems silent on that gender identity.

Other denominations are seeing who people are as two "people" coming together in holy matrimony. Many couples marry and cant have children. Others marry and take a vow of celibacy in their marriage. I would assume God will bless whoever you decide to marry. If both of you know you are blessed by His approval THAT is all you need.

It is said that God made us biologically male and female. Scripture never was specific about individuals who are attracted to their own gender nor did it say male and female have "this" type of identity. If anything, who you are now is how your God created you.

Who dares to judge anyone by whats between their legs.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Also,I just finished watching the video. Traditional christianity looks at your sex not gender (as described in video). Its a stereotype that men act this way and women act that. As a lesbian, Im supppsed to act opposite of the stereotype given to women all their life. I dont sit on either side. What does that make me, I dont know. It makes more sense that God knows your heart. Its the religious organizations that are funky about marriage. If you know God blessed your marriage, thats all you need.

averageJOE

zombie

I will sum up their argument: If you have a pee-pee you're a boy. If you have a va-jay-jay you're a girl. If you're born with both make a decision and start shopping in that genders clothing section.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I just found some respect for Miley.
Am I dirty cynic for thinking that Miley isn't really in charge of anything that she says? And that perhaps a focus-group sampling, market research driven, demographic chasing PR and management team are choosing her soundbites, framing her opinion?

Is Miley Cyrus really a real person?

And where is my tinfoil hat anyway?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Am I dirty cynic for thinking that Miley isn't really in charge of anything that she says? And that perhaps a focus-group sampling, market research driven, demographic chasing PR and management team are choosing her soundbites, framing her opinion?

actually I find that believable. Can i have a hat too?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
And while we're on the subject, what if a transgender male (used to be female) wants to marry a female. Is that a gay marriage because one is "really" a woman? what if a transgender man marries a transgender woman?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You know the Church isnt going to go for that. Can you imagine the priest's face during premarriage counseling?

And while we're on the subject, what if a transgender male (used to be female) wants to marry a female. Is that a gay marriage because one is "really" a woman? what if a transgender man marries a transgender woman?

amorphous_constellation

Neither of us fully identify as men or women so do people who believe in marriage between a man and a woman think we shouldn't be able to marry anyone?

I say the full solution is not to try to hammer all of this through the Abrahamic religious paradigms, but rather, start a new institution spiritual or otherwise which can set forth to legally recognize such contracts. That answers your question to the religious end I think. It's kind of akin to wanting to put Thor on a pedestal with Jesus in a Catholic church for example.

amorphous_constellation

If you're born with both make a decision and start shopping in that genders clothing section.

The Greeks, whom I thought began Western culture, actually had a God to celebrate such people, and that was Hermaphroditus, hence the term 'hermaphrodite' to refer to someone who was both sexes. So if we go back to the start of our culture, no one has to pick as you think.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
As far as I know, there is no legal category for genderqueer or non-binary. So if you're female, you'd be recognized as female by the law unless you change it to male. Personally, the whole non-binary thing doesn't make much sense to me at all and I think there's an amount of appropriation involved.

It's legal if you change your gender marker, as far as I know. There have been odd divorce cases with trans men involved, like Thomas Beatie and Buck Angel, where they argued that the marriages were never legal because they either gave birth and men don't give birth (Beatie) or they didn't have genital surgery (Angel).

Thana

Lady

You can marry a lamp for all I care.
I'm too busy with my own life and determining my own morals, I don't need to be responsible for anyone else. And I don't understand why people want to take spiritual responsibility for complete strangers by forcing their will and their ideals onto them.
No one asks them too! Not even God.

I just don't understand people.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

No, you're most likely right. She's an awful corporate creation and needs to go away yesterday. Can't stand her or her father.