• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriage and the Family from the American Anthropological Association

Pah

Uber all member
A press release http://www.aaanet.org/press/ma_stmt_marriage.htm

2200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 600, Arlington, VA 22201
February 25, 2004, Contact: Paul Nuti
703 528-1902, ext. 3008

Statement on Marriage and the Family from the American Anthropological Association

Arlington, Virginia; The Executive Board of the American Anthropological Association, the world's largest organization of anthropologists, the people who study culture, releases the following statement in response to President Bush's call for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage as a threat to civilization.

"The results of more than a century of anthropological research on households, kinship relationships, and families, across cultures and through time, provide no support whatsoever for the view that either civilization or viable social orders depend upon marriage as an exclusively heterosexual institution. Rather, anthropological research supports the conclusion that a vast array of family types, including families built upon same-sex partnerships, can contribute to stable and humane societies.

The Executive Board of the American Anthropological Association strongly opposes a constitutional amendment limiting marriage to heterosexual couples."

Does anyone have any anthropological data that contradicts "anthropological research supports the conclusion that a vast array of family types, including families built upon same-sex partnerships, can contribute to stable and humane societies."

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
I haven't seen any evidence to support or contradict such a position; honestly I think it is a stupid question to begin with - a question created by people who want to push their lifestyle on everyone else, limit freedom, impose theocracy... etc. It isn't WHO is in the family or what their sexual activity is... it is HOW the family interacts, supports itself, and develops.

Pah

Uber all member
Darkdale said:
I haven't seen any evidence to support or contradict such a position; honestly I think it is a stupid question to begin with - a question created by people who want to push their lifestyle on everyone else, limit freedom, impose theocracy... etc. It isn't WHO is in the family or what their sexual activity is... it is HOW the family interacts, supports itself, and develops.
Geez, the conclusion of the American Anthropological Association is not evidence? It would be in a court of law and termed "expert opinion"

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Pah said:
Geez, the conclusion of the American Anthropological Association is not evidence? It would be in a court of law and termed "expert opinion"

lol it would seem to me naive to place faith in experts with agendas. You pick and choose the authorities you put your faith in... so, don't pretend as if you are simply following some rule of authority. I find it amusing that you feel the need to argue over the obvious when I am essentially agreeing with your conclusion. Residual embitterment maybe?

A

angellous_evangellous

Does anyone have any anthropological data that contradicts "anthropological research supports the conclusion that a vast array of family types, including families built upon same-sex partnerships, can contribute to stable and humane societies."

I'll keep an eye out for it and get back with you. Several of my colleagues are "into" anthropology and many of them are interested in GLBT rights.

Pah

Uber all member
Darkdale said:
lol it would seem to me naive to place faith in experts with agendas. You pick and choose the authorities you put your faith in... so, don't pretend as if you are simply following some rule of authority. I find it amusing that you feel the need to argue over the obvious when I am essentially agreeing with your conclusion. Residual embitterment maybe?
"I haven't seen any evidence to support or contradict such a position" is what you said. The OP statement is evidence. You misspoke and should have challanged the credentials of the authority if you had not agreed with what you stated.

We will await your authority if we are to take your original opinion.

In this post to which I reply, you stated an "agenda". Please explain what the particular agenda is for the American Anthropological Association.

In the absense of any of your "experts", my position IS an unchallanged authority despite you inuendo as to my character. I consider your post a very poor response.

evearael

Most anthropologists would argue everyone and every group has an agenda... it is part of being human. Thus, the difficulties of delivering a nonjudgemental ethnography, but this is neither here nor there...

Pah

Uber all member
evearael said:
Most anthropologists would argue everyone and every group has an agenda... it is part of being human. Thus, the difficulties of delivering a nonjudgemental ethnography, but this is neither here nor there...
I would agree with that. Which is why I asked for the American Anthropological Association's agenda.