• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marijuana - Is it truly evil?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I highly recommend that anyone opposed to the legalization of weed read up on the effects theobromine (the active drug in chocolate) has on people.

THC is comparatively safe compared to caffeine and "chocolate," both physically and mentally. What the heck else does one need to say before the state stops persecuting innocent people?

Never mind the fact people have the right to ingest whatever they want, it's simply frustrating to see the willful ignorance which only destroys families. The War on Drugs has destroyed more than marijuana could ever accomplish.

Last edited:

gnomon

Exactly....and no one can know the degree of an "individuals suceptability to certain physical/mental problems" prior to the experimentation.

As said in a previous post...It is a game of biochemical Russian Roulette...many will smoke a great deal of pot for years and get away with it unharmed...some will be 'a few bong wonders' and end up with drug induced psychosis.

If you have worked in Psych Services and cared for such kids and/or talked to their parrents you would have to deem smoking dope an unacceptable risk.

The risk of cannabis induced psychosis is so small that compared to the reactions of society to keep people from smoking marijuana it would be a blessing to deal with rather than the insane drug war that puts more lives at risks than the possibility of cannabis induced psychosis.

I actually think it is evil to smoke pot. I have done it before, I'm no angel:angel2:, but the people who do it are usually involved in immorality such as sexual perversions or lusts, indulgence in alcohol and other drugs. I wish I knew scripture better, but I thought there was something in there about not giving in to foolishness. In my humble opinion, a lot of foolishness comes out of smoking pot. Not only that, it is a sedutive substance, which is almost like being seduced into wickedness. If you need to smoke pot because of pain or worry or insomnia, you should ask help supernaturally from God. Sure, people do it to fit in, or be cool, or whatever lame excuse, but long term effects on the brain are as bad as a harder drug. :no:

:eek:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Evil seems like a strong word for a plant. I would say it's not advisable to use it, but the intent would be the negative hing, not the substance.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Evil seems like a strong word for a plant. I would say it's not advisable to use it, but the intent would be the negative hing, not the substance.

I don't think there is too much of a conscious intent in much of marijuana use, and maybe that is indeed a bad thing. But the substance itself is dangerous. Any psychoactive drug is dangerous.

The defense of marijuana use as "harmless" is quite disgusting.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sorry, but I really miss the point. Do you disapprove of campaigns against use of marijuana or other psychoactives? If so, why?
I do because there are far more serious issues to be concerned about. If anything I would say campaigns against drug and alcohol abuse in general (legal, illegal, prescription, otc, etc.) are ideal, but the use itself I see no reason to campaign against. But if someone wants to kick off the weekend with a joint, a line, a needle, a beer, mushrooms, or whatever is no concern of mine.
I also support more honest research, not studies that claimed pot smoke killed a group of monkeys and not telling anyone that you exposed your research group to so much smoke that having them hooked up to masks actually gassed them to death. And no more studies that count plea-bargains recepients as addiction treatment recipients because there are not many people who will take jail time over rehab. However I do support that everyone who is arrested for drugs or alcohol related charges be screened for potential addiction and treated if necessary. Personally I would rather it be that no one is arrested for mere possession and our culture changes in a way that makes it easier for addicts to seek treatment, but drug sells fund everyone from college students and fast food workers looking for a few extra bucks to the government and mega corporations so I don't see things changing any time soon.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
[
quote=HeatherHeart;3234471]I actually think it is evil to smoke pot. I have done it before, I'm no angel:angel2:, but the people who do it are usually involved in immorality such as sexual perversions or lusts, indulgence in alcohol and other drugs. I wish I knew scripture better, but I thought there was something in there about not giving in to foolishness. In my humble opinion, a lot of foolishness comes out of smoking pot. Not only that, it is a sedutive substance, which is almost like being seduced into wickedness. If you need to smoke pot because of pain or worry or insomnia, you should ask help supernaturally from God. Sure, people do it to fit in, or be cool, or whatever lame excuse, but long term effects on the brain are as bad as a harder drug. :no:

Don't you think that this could be said about anything you find offends your sensibilities? Some one could say wasting time and energy posting on internet forums when you could be studying the scriptures is also evil. Judging is definitely a two edged sword.

:eek:[/quote]

I do not think it is evil, in fact marijuana is a traditional medical plant in many countries.

But of course many things can be used as a drug even if it is not intentional.

For example some students here take some prescription pills to help them stay awake and prepare for exams, then they become addicted.

So I would say it depends on the intention.

gnomon

I actually think it is evil to smoke pot. I have done it before, I'm no angel:angel2:, but the people who do it are usually involved in immorality such as sexual perversions or lusts, indulgence in alcohol and other drugs. I wish I knew scripture better, but I thought there was something in there about not giving in to foolishness. In my humble opinion, a lot of foolishness comes out of smoking pot. Not only that, it is a sedutive substance, which is almost like being seduced into wickedness. If you need to smoke pot because of pain or worry or insomnia, you should ask help supernaturally from God. Sure, people do it to fit in, or be cool, or whatever lame excuse, but long term effects on the brain are as bad as a harder drug. :no:

:eek:

If you wish to avoid foolishness than a good start would be to not generalize those who use marijuana.

As far as your advice in seeking spiritual help due to pain or worry.......worst advice ever. Mental health facilities are full of people who sought spiritual help but it doesn't work.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I actually think it is evil to smoke pot. I have done it before, I'm no angel:angel2:, but the people who do it are usually involved in immorality such as sexual perversions or lusts, indulgence in alcohol and other drugs.
Nice over generalization.

In my humble opinion, a lot of foolishness comes out of smoking pot.
Such as people who smoke pot and get good grades and even get inducted into the honor society? Or people who are physicians assistants who are pot heads? Or what of well paid maintenance position held by those who smoke daily? I know one family, that is all three kids and even the mom even used to smoke and has worked in the medical field.
So what sort of foolishness comes out of smoking pot, other than letting yourself cave to the munchies? Which, BTW, is actually a good thing for some people.

If you need to smoke pot because of pain or worry or insomnia, you should ask help supernaturally from God. Sure, people do it to fit in, or be cool, or whatever lame excuse, but long term effects on the brain are as bad as a harder drug. :no:
Do you know humans come equipped with a cannabinoid system that has receptors that exist for cannabinoids? Actually if we didn't have it we couldn't get high off of pot.
Endocannabinoid system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The endocannabinoid system refers to a group of neuromodulatory lipids and their receptors that are involved in a variety of physiological processes including appetite, pain-sensation, mood, and memory; it mediates the psychoactive effects of cannabis and, broadly speaking, includes:

The endocannabinoid system has been studied using genetic and pharmacological methods. These studies have revealed that cannabinoids act as neuromodulators[2][3][4] for a variety of physiological processes, including motor learning,[5] synaptic plasticity,[6] appetite,[7] and pain sensation.[8]