• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Margaret Sanger

Cooky

Veteran Member
No, it's mostly poor women who get abortions: Abortion rates by income

Upper class women have access to more birth control options than poor women.

You're right. But still, the educated are not reproducing, and it's an unnatural phenomena, which may have negative impacts on our evolutionary future.

...We may not only be turning back the clock, but may also be furthering mental instability within the human race.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You're right. But still, the educated are not reproducing, and it's an unnatural phenomena, which may have negative impacts on our evolutionary future.

...We may not only be turning back the clock, but may also be furthering mental instability within the human race.
This is the issue that Sanger was trying to address. And she was doing it in the culture in which she lived.
So why demonize her?
Tom

sooda

Veteran Member

My friend Mr. Woo is a US citizen and native of South Korea. He says the reason Korea is an economic powerhouse is because 80% of the population are university graduates.

Americans have to rethink their beliefs. Does America have to get bigger and more crowded to survive?

Cooky

Veteran Member
This is the issue that Sanger was trying to address. And she was doing it in the culture in which she lived.
So why demonize her?
Tom

Basically, what we have now is *reverse* eugenics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

So you support eugenics?

Cooky

Veteran Member
So you support eugenics?

No, I'm just saying that what we are encountering today is essentially reverse eugenics. It is what it is, and we're stuck with it.

...So we might want to put 2 and 2 together and evaluate why mental illness has increased over the past 30 years and figure out what we should expect in 30 more years of reverse eugenics.

Cooky

Veteran Member
My friend Mr. Woo is a US citizen and native of South Korea. He says the reason Korea is an economic powerhouse is because 80% of the population are university graduates.

Americans have to rethink their beliefs. Does America have to get bigger and more crowded to survive?

What you're failing to understand is that America is BELOW replacement levels. This is also unsustainable in the long run.

sooda

Veteran Member
No, I'm just saying that what we are encountering today is essentially reverse eugenics. It is what it is, and we're stuck with it.

...So we might want to put 2 and 2 together and evaluate why mental illness has increased over the past 30 years and figure out what we should expect in 30 more years of reverse eugenics.

Mental illness is a result of poverty, overcrowding and unemployment.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Also,
drugs and violence and poor parenting and hopelessness and and media and....
The list of reasons for mental illnesses is huge. Genetics have nearly nothing to do with it.
Tom

Cooky

Veteran Member

No. It really isn't. It's genetic, and it progresses in number with reverse eugenics.

Mental illness is the *cause* of poverty, and unemployment.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Also,
drugs and violence and poor parenting and hopelessness and and media and....
The list of reasons for mental illnesses is huge. Genetics have nearly nothing to do with it.
Tom

Well, nobody will ever know because the people are afraid to find out.

I'm sure there are no studies on the subject, as it would be unpopular and likely condemned by the social sciences, especially if it dealt with reverse eugenics being the result of birth control and abortion.

...But inquiring minds should want to know..!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well, nobody will ever know because the people are afraid to find out.

I'm sure there are no studies on the subject, as it would be unpopular and likely condemned.
Um, what?

People aren't going to find out because the solutions impede the dominant ideology of the USA. Christian Capitalism.

Paying for what needs to be done to ameliorate the problems will impede the ability of Christian Capitalists to build manufacturing facilities in China and buy SUVs and government officials.
So, I doubt that it will happen.
Tom

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Mental illness is at epidemic levels for a number of reasons, and isn't because upper class people aren't having enough kids. It's mainly due to our broken healthcare system and unhealthy lifestyle. A culture with more leisure time, closeness to the natural world and less stress would cut down in the rates of mental illness.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Mental illness is at epidemic levels for a number of reasons, and isn't because upper class people aren't having enough kids. It's mainly due to our broken healthcare system and unhealthy lifestyle. A culture with more leisure time, closeness to the natural world and less stress would cut down in the rates of mental illness.

If I could be sure of that, and be assured that reverse eugenics was not actually occuring, I would feel much better about it.

...I hope you're right, Saint Frankenstein.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If I could be sure of that, and be assured that reverse eugenics was not actually occuring, I would feel much better about it.

Well, since there's no evidence that rich people or educated people are of better genetic stock than others (especially since there's systemic classist discrimination that holds back otherwise talented people), I'm fairly confident it's not a breeding issue. We do not have a genetic aristocrisy in this country.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

What makes you think that non-white people are more inclined to mental illness? Or Non-citizens? Or whatever?
The problem is the culture, not somebody's genetics.
Tom

Cooky

Veteran Member
Well, since there's no evidence that rich people or educated people are of better genetic stock than others (especially since there's systemic classist discrimination that holds back otherwise talented people), I'm fairly confident it's not a breeding issue. We do not have a genetic aristocrisy in this country.

Well, we are the 'test population', since it all pretty much occured in mass during our generation's time.

...Time will tell.

Cooky

Veteran Member
What makes you think that non-white people are more inclined to mental illness? Or Non-citizens? Or whatever?
The problem is the culture, not somebody's genetics.
Tom

No, my assertion was that those prone to higher education -the 'doers' of the world, from all colors and cultures, will be having less children... And that imbalance itself will offset the natural evolution of the human race. Potentially. Making us more prone to mental illness as a whole.

I call it "reverse eugenics" and this hypothesis was created by my own conscience. If it's fantastical, and not based in reality, then I would accept that -but as a concept, it does seem viable.

...Something worth investigating IMO.