• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Margaret Sanger

tigrers2019

When the Nazis implemented her work in such a brutal public fashion, the rest of the modern world ran from anything that might have had anything to do with her.

It is strange that if Hitler had never come into power, that modern societies would be drastically different today because they were starting to implement her work in a much more 'kinder gentler way than the Nazis.

Shaul

Premium Member
Margaret Sanger did give a speech to a KKK meeting and sought support from women affiliated with the KKK.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
When the Nazis implemented her work in such a brutal public fashion, the rest of the modern world ran from anything that might have had anything to do with her.

It is strange that if Hitler had never come into power, that modern societies would be drastically different today because they were starting to implement her work in a much more 'kinder gentler way than the Nazis.
I am not aware of the Nazis being influenced by her. They were influenced by white supremacist eugenicists.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Thus as I have heard, a few of Margaret Sanger's quotes......

The most merciful thing that a family does to one of its infant members is to kill it.

A free race cannot be born of slave mothers.

When motherhood becomes the fruit of a deep yearning, not the result of ignorance or accident, its children will become the foundation of a new race.

Diplomats make it their business to conceal the facts.

Shaul

Premium Member
She spoke to any group she could because she thought that everyone deserved information and access to birth control. She did outreach for black people, too. She wasn't a racist.
I didn’t say she was a racist, but I am also not saying she wasn’t. However, speaking at a KKK meeting is evidence of her judgment and that she did not oppose them enough to not speak to them.

Shaul

Premium Member
If the KKK could be influenced to do some good, then more power to her.
I hardly think she was trying to influence them to change. :rolleyes: Her purpose was to get donations.

Are you stating for the record that speaking at KKK meetings is fine?

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
If the KKK could be influenced to do some good, then more power to her.
The Klan is often demonized for their history and ideology, when really they are just a group of like-minded people with a lot in common who like to get together for picnics and hate crimes.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I didn’t say she was a racist, but I am also not saying she wasn’t. However, speaking at a KKK meeting is evidence of her judgment and that she did not oppose them enough to not speak to them.
" There is little question that Sanger supported the eugenics movement, but one statement really stuck out. Sanger was “an active participant in the Ku Klux Klan.”

It turns out, Sanger did speak to a group connected to the KKK and wrote about it openly. In Margaret Sanger: An Autobiography, published in 1938, Sanger details her work advocating birth control across the United States and emphasizes her willingness to talk to virtually anyone.

“Always to me any aroused group was a good group,” Sanger writes, “and therefore I accepted an invitation to talk to the women’s branch of the Ku Klux Klan at Silver Lake, New Jersey, one of the weirdest experiences I had in lecturing.”

While Sanger did speak to such an audience in 1926, “she didn’t hold the group in the highest esteem,” and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke favorably of her at the height of the U.S. civil rights movement:

“Never before had I looked into a sea of faces like these. I was sure that if I uttered one word, such as abortion, outside the usual vocabulary of these women they would go off into hysteria. And so my address that night had to be in the most elementary terms, as though I were trying to make children understand,” Sanger writes.

We should also note that in 1966, while she was still alive, Planned Parenthood bestowed the Margaret Sanger award on Martin Luther King Jr. He accepted, and while he was unable to attend the event, his wife Coretta showed up in his place to read his speech. In it, King wrote:

“There is a striking kinship between our movement and Margaret Sanger’s early efforts. She, like we, saw the horrifying conditions of ghetto life. Like we, she knew that all of society is poisoned by cancerous slums. Like we, she was a direct actionist — a nonviolent resister.”

Given the fact that Sanger’s autobiography had been published nearly 30 years before King’s speech, her earlier address was no secret. It should be clear the civil rights leader did not think of Sanger as a racist."
FACT CHECK: Does a Photograph Show Planned Parenthood's Founder at a KKK Rally?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I hardly think she was trying to influence them to change. :rolleyes: Her purpose was to get donations.

Funny how Sanger can talk at KKK meetings and be given a pass. But Trump gets demonized by KKK members supporting him. Crazy.

sooda

Veteran Member
Margaret Sanger did give a speech to a KKK meeting and sought support from women affiliated with the KKK.

Black women also had unwanted babies and died in childbirth. I think Sanger would have talked to anyone about women's rights and reproductive health. Sanger was a huge advocate for birth control when the subject was basically taboo. Any couple that had less than three children were suspected of using birth control.

Tour a few old grave yards and look at the young women and children under 2 years.

She presumably spoke to them about having fewer babies and this is actually a bad thing? Are you say that a good anti-racist would be one who favours KKK members having more babies?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You should read my post more literally.
Getting donations would be influencing to do some good....not necessarily to "change" them.
It depends upon what one says.
Support their bigotry....bad.
Urge no bigotry..........good.
I'm sure you're OK with the latter.

sooda

Veteran Member
She presumably spoke to them about having fewer babies and this is actually a bad thing? Are you say that a good anti-racist would be one who favours KKK members having more babies?
White women also need birth control.