• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Many Psychiatrists are not allowed to comment on Trump.

Phaedrus

That article is two years old. There are plenty of recent articles where psychological experts have commented on his mental health issues.

That's BS. Considering what he's doing, there should be a huge uproar. The fear of litigation is holding most back.

That and the fact it would be highly unethical to diagnose someone based on incomplete information gained from media appearances.

That someone displays some behaviours that are consistent with, for example, dementia doesn't necessarily mean that these can only be caused by dementia.

Ellen Brown

That and the fact it would be highly unethical to diagnose someone based on incomplete information gained from media appearances.

That someone displays some behaviours that are consistent with, for example, dementia doesn't necessarily mean that these can only be caused by dementia.

I think he is BPD

Stanyon

WWMRD?
There have been many U.S. presidents that were diagnosed (at least 37 of them) with some sort of mental illness and it didn't seem to have much of an impact on some of their re-election. The real question we should be asking is why are we seeing so much about this now in mainstream news as if it were something unique? It's obvious

Erebus

This is the crux of it. It's very easy to play armchair psychologist when you're looking at somebody on TV. Hell, you could probably make a case that almost every politician has narcissistic personality disorder if you only take their televised appearances into account.

Furthermore if somebody is in a position to monitor Trump's mental health in a professional capacity, it would be a gross breach of confidentiality to publicly disclose their thoughts on the matter.

I don't like Trump. Never have and never will. However, I don't believe that this is a route we should go down.

averageJOE

zombie
We should be more concerned with Joe Biden's mental and physical state. The guy is deteriorating before our very eyes. It's sad to watch.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Kamala Harris recently laughed about someone saying Trump was mentally retarded, after she showed her true self she she claimed she didn't hear him say mentally retarded.
It was quite clear.

Ponder This

I am shocked to find this, and don't actually know if it is true, but I believe it is:

I was doing research for a chilling psychological Horror Story. Sometimes the truth is more frightening. Trump's symptoms are so blatant, I had wondered why so few professional comments?

'Goldwater Rule' Still In Place Barring Many Psychiatrists From Commenting On Trump

Most professionals are professional, that's why they know better than to comment in the absence of evaluation and those that do comment in the absence of evaluation are not behaving professionally.

It is surprisingly common for people in opposing political factions to regard those from the other faction as being psychological ill. I've seen it many times on both sides. "If you don't agree with me, then you must be crazy or there must be something 'wrong' with you." Declarations that the mental aberration is 'obvious' or 'blatant' are also common. So I understand if it seems shocking that professionals refrain from commenting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's BS. Considering what he's doing, there should be a huge uproar. The fear of litigation is holding most back.
The Goldwater Rule makes sense.
If psychiatrists made diagnoses without ever meeting the subject,
they'd create credibility problems for themselves. Consider that
without detailed study of the client, they'd lack info. Add to this
the fact that psychiatrists will be politically varied, introducing bias.
This will lead to highly public differences in evaluations.
If they can't agree, then their opinions are mere rolls of the dice.
Who can charge $200/hour for random diagnoses, eh?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think he is BPD
From what I've seen and haven't, there's nothing that leads me to suspect either Bipolar or Borderline Personality. But he could have his moments of uncertainty and depression off camera. That's partly why we don't comment or armchair diagnose people's mental health.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I think there is a difference between making a diagnosis and expressing a concern. Professional psychologists also have a duty to speak out if they see that someone is a danger to themselves or others.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think there is a difference between making a diagnosis and expressing a concern. Professional psychologists also have a duty to speak out if they see that someone is a danger to themselves or others.
I'm sure, even here, you have seen some of the articles in question being promoted by various members as if Trump qualifies as a legit diagnosis. This has included claims of Trump's "struggles with Alzheimer's." When it started, it was typically waves diagnosing him as a narcissist and other "bad guy" diagnoses. Lately it's shifted to things of the dementia-umbrella. Regardless of what people say and insist, we have only a very small and narrow glans into the "whole picture." Does Trump seem to have some concerning behaviors based on his appearances and what others report? Yes. Does that necessarily mean mental illness? It could just be bad coping methods with the stress and he's beginning to break and snap under it like a dam under too much pressure. We don't know.