• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Many Paths???

rocala

I have often heard and read that different religions are just different paths to a supreme truth.
Is this true? Do you believe it?

Obviously there must be an ultimate truth, but do all religions show a way to this?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have often heard and read that different religions are just different paths to a supreme truth.

Obviously there must be an ultimate truth, but do all religions show a way to this?
Normally when someone asks me this question I answer that we can look at it as a mountain with different paths toward the top, and with this, I mean that the top of the mountain is the ultimate truth an the paths are the different religions.
Some paths do not lead to the very top, but some do. that does not mean that the paths not leading to the very top is a false path/religion,it only means that the founder of that religion did not see the ultimate truth when he/she was giving the teaching to followers. But it does lead toward enlightenment or salvation.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There may be a right religion, but I certainly don't know which one that might be. Instead, I take a different approach, namely that I tend to think all religions are attempting to understand God(s), and I can live with that.

To a point, maybe. But even if one is uncertain I tend to think it's still better to identify with at least one and then do what one can to make us, them, and the world more humane.

David T

Premium Member

I looked for a mentor when i was young. I only found dead ones really. Not that that the living didnt try. Then i gave up and just started trudging along. Then one day on top of a mountain, i ran into that mentor. He was an old man apparently waiting for me there. It was me.

Maybe using the term path is inncorrect. I dont have a replacement.

Jim

Nets of Wonder

I don’t know what you mean by “supreme” or “ultimate” truth. What’s the difference between a supreme or ultimate truth, and other kinds of truth? What makes a truth a supreme or ultimate truth?

Do you mean a system of beliefs that includes all beliefs that are true, and none that are false?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I think it's a statement made by friendly people with a leaning towards universalism. I'm with Amanaki in that I don't believe all paths lead to an ultimate truth, or the same truth. Investigation of stated ultimate goals within various religions indicates some vast differences. Still, any path that helps the individual be kind is fine by me, and is good for humanity.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Not really. My religion is more about living in harmony with nature, forming and maintaining relationships with the natural world and the beings that inhabit it (especially those who came before) and living honorably. It's a practical way of life and doesn't concern itself much with abstract navel gazing, while still providing a complex and beautiful view of the cosmos.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I agree there is one ultimate reality or truth as there is one sun the earth revolves around. To extent each of the different religions provide a path to that ultimate truth depends on a number of factors.

1/ The extent to which a religion's founder was cognisant and a channel for the supreme truth.

2/ The capacity of the people at the time the religion was taught.

3/ The reliability of the transmission or record of the original teachings through the ages.

4/ The ability of future generations to make sense of the historic and literary context of the original teachings and distinguish the pure original teachings from acquired myth.

As a Baha'i I see Hinduism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Christianity and Islam as all having Divine origins.

syo

Yes.

Religions which don't show the ultimate truth are cults.

rocala

I don’t know what you mean by “supreme” or “ultimate” truth. What’s the difference between a supreme or ultimate truth, and other kinds of truth? What makes a truth a supreme or ultimate truth?

What I mean Jim is the correct one. I do not think there are "other kinds of truth".