• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Many different religions

We Never Know

No Slack
There are many many different religions.

"There are over 4,000 recognized religions in the world. These religions consist of churches, congregations, faith groups, tribes, cultures, and movements."

WORLD RELIGION DAY - Third Sunday in January.

"The 12 major religions of the world are Baha'i, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Sikhism, Taoism, and Zoroastrianism."

Major religions of the world - Religion - Issues Online.

How many gods do they have?

Which is the correct one or are all of them partially correct?

Are they all correct because of their beliefs?

Are they based on the same principal, just different cultures? Different gods?

What makes yours better than the others?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
All the major religions I believe are true.

I believe that they all teach similar truths like to be virtuous and of good character and that
“There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source” (Baha’u’llah)

idea

Question Everything

There are many political groups too. Humans are social herd animals. That is all the groups are, different herds, each herd following its queen bee.

It's not a spirit from God, its herd instincts. People protect their family, their political party, their country... their sports team... their religion - religion is no different from any of the other groups everyone is emotionally attached and loyal too. Herd instincts all of it.

We Never Know

No Slack
There are many political groups too. Humans are social herd animals. That is all the groups are, different herds, each herd following its queen bee.

It's not a spirit from God, its herd instincts. People protect their family, their political party, their country... their sports team... their religion - religion is no different from any of the other groups everyone is emotionally attached and loyal too. Herd instincts all of it.

IMO humans are a more social dependant species than a social herd species.

Viker

Häxan

There are herds, hives, gangs, mobs, packs, klatches, etc.

I'm a member of a small tight knit unkindness or conspiracy of ravens. A pack of wolves venerating a black goat god and his mysterious allies.

Viker

Häxan
Multitudes. They are, now, countless.

I view "correct" as inapplicable. They are all made necessary by their adherents. There is no objective criteria for which is the correct religion.
Are they based on the same principal, just different cultures?
There are some overlapping principles but for the most part they are distinguished as they are separate by names, creeds, etc.
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Mine is only more preferable to me.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I believe that they all teach similar truths like to be virtuous and of good character and that
“There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source” (Baha’u’llah)

I agree, that says it all.

Regards Tony

ajay0

It is interesting to note that there are over 4000 religions in the world.

I have found myself admiring most of these religions as well which I am acquainted with and the values and ideals they represent.

Such as Islam for its ideal of universal brotherhood and equality, Christianity for its service-oriented nature and ideal of charity, Jews for their inclination towards higher culture and knowledge, Bahais for their promotion of inter-faith unity, Confucianism for emphasis on ethics and virtue , the Jains for their emphasis on non-violence, the Prajapita Brahmakumaris for their emphasis on feminine values, female empowerment and leadership, and so on.

I would say that this may be because some values, while being of a universal nature, are given a fuller expression in certain religions that they almost seem to embody them or seem to be synonymous with them. Thus such values are better instituted and represented through such religions.

We Never Know

No Slack

What is a false god?

If all their gods are true then... What happens here?

The 10 Commandments
  • You shall have no other God's before me.

Its seems to me there is only one god by that. Are the rest fake gods?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

"There are over 4,000 recognized religions in the world. These religions consist of churches, congregations, faith groups, tribes, cultures, and movements."

WORLD RELIGION DAY - Third Sunday in January.

"The 12 major religions of the world are Baha'i, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Sikhism, Taoism, and Zoroastrianism."

Major religions of the world - Religion - Issues Online.

This is one reason I'm polytheistic.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

Mainstream gods, somewhere around 4200 have been worshipped through recorded time, 3800(ish) of them being creator gods who made the universe.

Thst is excluding hindu gods which some say can number 33 million, and personal gods, number unknown

Everyone who worships a god/gods believes theirs is/are correct

I don't have one so there is no argument

PearlSeeker

I don't know. I think it's not the number that is important. Having the relevance to your life is.

Which is the correct one or are all of them partially correct? Are they all correct because of their beliefs?
I don't know. I think all are somewhat mythological. And all are subjectively correct for the ones who have faith in them. For some people they can work - give purpose, hope and comfort (I think it's probably a placebo effect) and for some people they are despair, suffering, burden...

There is some overlapping.

What is better for me might not be better for someone else. Generally I think "better" means what bears (morally) better fruits in your life.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Let us pursue a hypothetical. Assume there are gods. If there are gods (immortal beings) then definitely they are hiding, but then why are there religions? We have to presume one of two things: they are sponsoring the religions or not. If not then that takes away our hypothetical (assuming there are gods based upon the existence of religions). It eliminates it as viable. Therefore if we presume there are gods then we must also hold them responsible for the existence of religions.

Assuming that: it remains for us to decipher what their intentions are. Can we judge them? Possibly. Perhaps they merely wish to hide, but it seems more like they intend some form of control as they hide since the religions are influential. Unfortunately their intentions are unclear, but there remain the consequences of their religions.

We can judge those consequences.

Pete in Panama

There are many political groups too. Humans are social herd animals. That is all the groups are, different herds, each herd following its queen bee...It's not a spirit from God, its herd instincts. People protect their family, their political party, their country... their sports team... their religion - religion is no different from any of the other groups everyone is emotionally attached and loyal too. Herd instincts all of it.
Herds and bee hives function a lot differently than humans.

The variety of how people interact is much richer. Political activities are neat but they focus on the advancement of an agenda w/ fellow people. Contrast that to religious pursuits where we're gaining understanding of reality. A "spirit from God" is important in some religious circles but not all as many ignore discussion about "God" altogether. Yet they're still all religious groups.

They have as much in common w/ sports & politics as medicine has w/ carpentry.